Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

‘Conference’ password for my car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

‘Conference’ password for my car

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by D582

If their WiFi network is set up correctly, you should not be able to see or connect to other devices on the network anyways.
Are you saying this as a blanket statement including watches?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:38 am

I’m just curious—what’s the make and model of the car?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
I’m just curious—what’s the make and model of the car?
Custom ordered G05 M Sport 50i.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Often1
At most properties with conference facilities, there is a separate network for those facilities. Access to that network is leased to conference organizers who provide it to attendees. It can be fabulously expensive.
I'm on a board that hosts conferences and meetings. Hotels have learned to monetize conference wi-fi access (at shockingly high cost.) I can verify your statement.
writerguyfl and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
As long as you're trying to get free access to the conference WiFi (for which the conference organizers paid a fee), how about dropping by the conference room around noon and help yourself to a free lunch.

Newman

Last edited by Newman; Aug 10, 2019 at 1:19 pm
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:09 am

So what was the resolution? Use the non conference guest access? I didn’t really follow why the conference one is needed if the guest one works or is it because it’s easier to just put a password instead of login page for guest.

OT - what does streaming dash cam do for the sake of the car not being broken into? isn’t it recorded anyways? (I have a dash cam but I don’t drive a custom car that cost that much)

kimberlyrose and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:35 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
My experience is most conference wifi have a landing page but ask for a user name and password, which theoretically could be used in device settings without the page, hotel rooms ask name and room number which are useless alone

Originally Posted by EmptyKim
I assume this is the issue too. Maybe assuming that the conference room WiFi doesn't have a landing page. I think most if not all do though.

If this is the case, the OP could get a small wireless travel router and leave it in his car.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myperks
So what was the resolution? Use the non conference guest access? I didn’t really follow why the conference one is needed if the guest one works or is it because it’s easier to just put a password instead of login page for guest.

OT - what does streaming dash cam do for the sake of the car not being broken into? isn’t it recorded anyways? (I have a dash cam but I don’t drive a custom car that cost that much)

I do not see a way forward until I see the manager on Monday. I suppose this is a learning episode that will inform future like trips. I am certain a manager can generate a temporary password for Marriott Guest WiFi, but am not sure how individual managers would rule.

The advantage of a direct connection from our hotel room is that since we would not be able to hear the car alarm however we could see someone approaching the vehicle or worse case scenario seeing them drive away so we could inform police ASAP. An informed thief would know to remove the SD card from the BV and thus destroy such evidence.

I view this as a test case as I am part of a group who share information about things like radar detectors and I can tell you this group has priceless stuff in their cars even if the sticker price for the vehicle was south of $20K
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Are you parked with valet at the Marriott? I would hope they would have some security. Or are you concerned about the valets themselves joyriding in your car?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Are you parked with valet at the Marriott? I would hope they would have some security. Or are you concerned about the valets themselves joyriding in your car?
This property does not have valet. My wife and little dog are with me.

I do have a 3D remote view of the vehicle, but while those stills are interesting they are not comparable to live views with dash cams front and rear.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:10 pm

[ Deleted ]
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Wow this gets most odd post of the week. Every additional user on a WiFi network takes a small piece of bandwidth away and those Conference WiFi’s are specifically setup for conference use. Marriott and every other meeting venue wants to monetize that and keep certain throughput for those who pay.

The OP request to get access to anything other than the lobby or guest room WiFi is ridiculous. And no, the manager will not be able to generate a special password for you. WiFi at most Marriott's is outsourced, except for the Conference one.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Xeno
On more than on occasion we have experienced theft from our cars while staying at Marriott properties in the USA. My wife’s fears are not merely abstract.

As I mentioned earlier, she hesitates to go outside while I am asleep so she simply wants to check on the car from times to time. Her anxiety in this case can be argued against, but this particular vehicle has her on edge about theft.
I'm not sure I'm the only one wondering, but I'm willing to be the only one stupid enough to ask:

Is it worth it?

What do you do when you go to the grocery store or the mall or your doctor's appointment or wherever...are you a paranoid wreck?
cawhite, aaupgrade, Lehava and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure I'm the only one wondering, but I'm willing to be the only one stupid enough to ask:

Is it worth it?

What do you do when you go to the grocery store or the mall or your doctor's appointment or wherever...are you a paranoid wreck?
Those who have read the entire read would know I have tried to explain that I am responding to my wife’s request that is specific to staying at hotels on the open road.

For those not seeing what I am describing, here is an image:
Attached Images  
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
And to go a step further if it is this important why wouldn't you choose a hotel with a valet or secured parking

Is it worth it?

nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.