Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

‘Conference’ password for my car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz

I am at a Marriott property in the USA. My car is close enough to the complex that my dash cam can pick up the Marriott Wifi.

However, in order for me to use the dash cams from my room, I need a Marriott Wifi password.

I asked the front desk and was told they would give me a password for a conference, but that the manager handles such things. I asked to speak to the manager and was told that she will not be here all weekend.

How to FTers see this? Do most oppose? If not, how would you get at this? I find it curious that outside the USA like China I can simply have lunch in a Marriott and they will give me a password.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're staying in the hotel (and not just parking nearby), I don't understand how they can fail to give your internet access for a whole weekend. It's even worse if you have Starriott/Bonvoy status as internet is supposed to be free for you.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:20 pm

This is a confusing post. Are you actually staying at the hotel in a guest room?

Although whether you are or not, you're asking for something that is not part of Marriott's frequent guest program perks. The program clearly states that you get complimentary in-room internet access. Thus, providing internet access for your car isn't something guaranteed.

Hotels with meeting space tend to lock down their public internet access because they charge groups to use it. That's probably why this is being referred to as a "conference" password.

As an aside, maybe I'm a Luddite but I don't understand the need to monitor dash cams in a parked car.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Something happened to my reply to MSP where I mentioned I am a guest at a Marriott property is the USA.

I do not get the ‘in-room’ notion since they also have Lobby and Conference networks. Another way to get at this is to employ a travel router.

Again, the principle to me is not unlike when I am running around Beijing and I stop at a Marriott for lunch to get WiFi that will allow me to use social media and Google. Marriott never hesitates to give me a password in that scenario.

My spouse is the one who is paranoid so I can give you her cell if you want to explain to her why she does not have the right to full use of expensive dash cams. She likes the cameras when it comes to traffic disputes but mostly related to theft or damage to our new vehicle.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Xeno
Something happened to my reply to MSP where I mentioned I am a guest at a Marriott property is the USA.

I do not get the ‘in-room’ notion since they also have Lobby and Conference networks.
So, just to clarify, you are a registered guest, but the normal Guest wifi service does not extend to where your dashcam is, but the password-protected Conference wifi service does ?
cawhite, nancypants and jerseytom like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:01 am
Original Poster

I am a registered guest. My dash cam (BlackVue) can see both Guest and Conference WiFi’s.

All I need is a 48 hour password so that when in the room, my wife can connect her iPhone to the same Wifi network and therefore be able to use both the front and rear dash cams in our car.

My wife often stays up all night so she wants access during the night when I am sleeping and she hesitates to go outside alone.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The conference WiFi is for people paying to hold a conference at a hotel. If you are not attending that conference, you have no right to access that router. Do you make your home WiFi available to anyone who happens to be in the neighbourhood?

Trying to justify a hotel's behaviour by what happens in another country with different customs and laws is a lost cause.
Newman, cre95, writerguyfl and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:14 am
Original Poster

I would like to know what security risk or privilege is at stake with me using a password that last 48 hours. The password can be for either network the Conference or Guest Wifi.

Remember, all I am doing is connecting another device to WiFi that I get for free as an elite.

I have been staying in Marriott long enough to remember that we had a specific password during our stay. That evolved to enter your last name and room number. Now, as an elite I do not see anything like that since Marriott remembers my devices.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I would like to know what security risk or privilege is at stake with me using a password that last 48 hours.
Why should you be able to sponge off of something for free that another group is paying for? I'm sure that if you pay the hotel to hold a conference, they will give you the password.
ksucats, Newman, Adam1222 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I am a registered guest. My dash cam (BlackVue) can see both Guest and Conference WiFi’s.

All I need is a 48 hour password so that when in the room, my wife can connect her iPhone to the same Wifi network and therefore be able to use both the front and rear dash cams in our car.

My wife often stays up all night so she wants access during the night when I am sleeping and she hesitates to go outside alone.
If your dash cam can see the guest (room) wifi, why not just use that? As a hotel guest, you're typically allowed to connect up to five devices in places where you log in using a room number.

OTOH, if you ask at the front desk, they're probably willing to *sell* you a password to access the conference wifi which typically is a permanent setup at the hotel rather than being provided by specific conferences for their own attendees.
cawhite, nancypants and jerseytom like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:18 am

So apparently you’ve been getting something extra by Marriott management at other hotels. That’s very nice of them, but it does not mean everyone else has to give you access to the Internet throughout their building. Since it sounds like you’re guest password isn’t working for your car, I don’t think a hotel to give you access to any other network so your car can have access to the Internet. LOL

And if your wife is in the car, can’t she just used her cellular network. I’m not sure that having dash cameras is actually going to give her security walking to and from the car if that’s what she’s trying to get
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why should you be able to sponge off of something for free that another group is paying for? I'm sure that if you pay the hotel to hold a conference, they will give you the password.
Connecting a single device to Wifi that is guaranteed me in “sponging”?

Again, I could work with a password for the Marriott Guest WiFi, but I thought the front desk could better understand the Conference notion.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If your dash cam can see the guest (room) wifi, why not just use that? As a hotel guest, you're typically allowed to connect up to five devices in places where you log in using a room number.

OTOH, if you ask at the front desk, they're probably willing to *sell* you a password to access the conference wifi which typically is a permanent setup at the hotel rather than being provided by specific conferences for their own attendees.
With the current system, I do not see a password for the Marriott Guest wifi when connecting my iPhone and iPad. I simply hit a button that says something like Internet access and my devices are already registered so I do not see anything about the login credentials.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:23 am

If your car isn't officially participating in a conference at the hotel, the car isn't entitled to the conference wifi. I've attended conferences with special reduced registration fees for spouses, but I've never noticed the possibility of registering my car for a meeting. OTOH, I've been to some where I'm convinced that my car is smarter than the organizers.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter

So apparently you’ve been getting something extra by Marriott management at other hotels. That’s very nice of them, but it does not mean everyone else has to give you access to the Internet throughout their building. Since it sounds like you’re guest password isn’t working for your car, I don’t think a hotel to give you access to any other network so your car can have access to the Internet. LOL

And if your wife is in the car, can’t she just used her cellular network. I’m not sure that having dash cameras is actually going to give her security walking to and from the car if that’s what she’s trying to get
On more than on occasion we have experienced theft from our cars while staying at Marriott properties in the USA. My wife’s fears are not merely abstract.

As I mentioned earlier, she hesitates to go outside while I am asleep so she simply wants to check on the car from times to time. Her anxiety in this case can be argued against, but this particular vehicle has her on edge about theft.

Last edited by Xeno; Aug 10, 2019 at 8:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.