Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

‘Conference’ password for my car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

‘Conference’ password for my car

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Why not leave a cellular hotspot in your car that transmits the cameras?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If your car isn't officially participating in a conference at the hotel, the car isn't entitled to the conference wifi. I've attended conferences with special reduced registration fees for spouses, but I've never noticed the possibility of registering my car for a meeting. OTOH, I've been to some where I'm convinced that my car is smarter than the organizers.
Perhaps I should not have used “car” in the title because I am talking about the BV dash cams in the car and not the actual car Wifi.

I am able to connect to various Wifi network like at my office, at my dealer, when I see my stylist, etc. I just ask them for a password and then I am good to go. None of these other companies have a problem with such a request.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Xeno
With the current system, I do not see a password for the Marriott Guest wifi when connecting my iPhone and iPad. I simply hit a button that says something like Internet access and my devices are already registered so I do not see anything about the login credentials.
You need to follow the procedure to add a device, just like you would if you had a new second iPad with you. Normally you just pick the hotel's guest network and if your device isn't recognized, a wifi sign on (name and room number) appears, with a check box at the bottom (scroll down to add device to your existing connection.

However, you seem to have once checked the box for wifi automatically (permanently remember my device?) at all Marriott family hotels. I won't do that.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tanic
Why not leave a cellular hotspot in your car that transmits the cameras?
That is one solution I am reviewing, but as was writing when you posted I have all kinds of places that give me a password so I can watch my car.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You need to follow the procedure to add a device, just like you would if you had a new second iPad with you. Normally you just pick the hotel's guest network and if your device isn't recognized, a wifi sign on (name and room number) appears, with a check box at the bottom (scroll down to add device to your existing connection.

However, you seem to have once checked the box for wifi automatically (permanently remember my device?) at all Marriott family hotels. I won't do that.
The ‘permanent’ solution for Marriott Wifi is under review. However, my dash cam does not have a way to enter last name and room number, only a password.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The ‘permanent’ solution for Marriott Wifi is under review. However, my dash cam does not have a way to enter last name and room number, only a password.
If you have a wifi signal for the guest network, you need to select that. Then the page for name and room number/add device should appear. Your car might be picking the conference network because if has a stronger signal, but you can manually pick any network on the list.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:36 am
Original Poster

My dash cams can see both the Marriott Guest and Marriott Conference networks. I could use a password with either line of them.

However, if I logout my iPad and iPhone I do not see how that would solve this particular problem.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

All I need is a 48 hour password so that when in the room, my wife can connect her iPhone to the same Wifi network and therefore be able to use both the front and rear dash cams in our car..
If their WiFi network is set up correctly, you should not be able to see or connect to other devices on the network anyways.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:56 am

My dash cams can see both the Marriott Guest and Marriott Conference networks. I could use a password with either line of them.

However, if I logout my iPad and iPhone I do not see how that would solve this particular problem.
Why would you logout? Plus, AFAIK you can connect (or not) individual devices to the hotel's wifi network, normally up to five as a registered guest in the hotel. If you log off on your phone, the iPad stays connected, right?
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:02 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
If I am reading all your posts correctly. Your gripe is not access, it is the validation method, correct? Since we no longer, as paying guests, enter a password at some properties (last name and room number instead) it makes it hard to access internet via a non tablet or computer device. My guess the dash cam just has a setting not a screen capable of pulling up the hotel's sign in screen. I hadn't thought of that issue before, but can see that being an issue for watches and other gadgets too. Honestly thinking about it the desk might not even have the password anymore. They are saying conference might be because that is the only thing they even have passwords for now and I can see that. I would guess hotels haven't thought about this issue related to how we log in either. I'd mention to manager or corporate as a bigger concept not about your dash cam because that just made the real issue hard to understand
Xeno, pewpew, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
At most properties with conference facilities, there is a separate network for those facilities. Access to that network is leased to conference organizers who provide it to attendees. It can be fabulously expensive. It is highly unlikely that the conference manager, if present, would provide the password as a freebie, so the fact that she is not around is not really a big deal.

If you can access the Guest network for free or with a charge as the case may be, then that is what you should do.

If you can't, then use the hotspot.

You are asking for a freebie for something that others pay a great deal of money for. Best to move on.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by Lehava
If I am reading all your posts correctly. Your gripe is not access, it is the validation method, correct? Since we no longer, as paying guests, enter a password at some properties (last name and room number instead) it makes it hard to access internet via a non tablet or computer device. My guess the dash cam just has a setting not a screen capable of pulling up the hotel's sign in screen. I hadn't thought of that issue before, but can see that being an issue for watches and other gadgets too. Honestly thinking about it the desk might not even have the password anymore. They are saying conference might be because that is the only thing they even have passwords for now and I can see that. I would guess hotels haven't thought about this issue related to how we log in either. I'd mention to manager or corporate as a bigger concept not about your dash cam because that just made the real issue hard to understand
I assume this is the issue too. Maybe assuming that the conference room WiFi doesn't have a landing page. I think most if not all do though.

If this is the case, the OP could get a small wireless travel router and leave it in his car.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lehava
Right. I can now see my point better framed as devices like my iW.
Lehava likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
At most properties with conference facilities, there is a separate network for those facilities. Access to that network is leased to conference organizers who provide it to attendees. It can be fabulously expensive. It is highly unlikely that the conference manager, if present, would provide the password as a freebie, so the fact that she is not around is not really a big deal.

If you can access the Guest network for free or with a charge as the case may be, then that is what you should do.

If you can't, then use the hotspot.

You are asking for a freebie for something that others pay a great deal of money for. Best to move on.
I did not frame my narrative well enough to anticipate this perspective, but my intention was not to pay nothing for something others pay such a high fee. At the time, I used language that seemed to get my point across to the front desk clerk.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmptyKim
I assume this is the issue too. Maybe assuming that the conference room WiFi doesn't have a landing page. I think most if not all do though.

If this is the case, the OP could get a small wireless travel router and leave it in his car.
I have used travel routers on international trips when I had more devices in my room than the hotel could manage since at the time their Interner was wired.

But today how do I deal with distance and power if I used a travel router in my room or in the car? If I was close to my car, I could connect directly to the BV Wifi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.