How Do I Have Platinum Elite Status....

Old Aug 9, 19, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

How Do I Have Platinum Elite Status....

I have a very odd question... I stayed at a Marriott hotel a few months ago and I was told that I have Platinum Elite Status. This was news to me considering I have not stayed at a Marriott owned hotel in the last several years... I thought maybe it was a promotion based on one of the credit cards I signed up for recently, but apparently after looking on my Bonvoy account - I have had Platinum Elite Status for the last 6 years without staying a single night at a Marriott hotel. How is this possible?

This year I signed up for two Marriott credit cards anticipating substantial travel - "Marriott Rewards Business" (changed automatically to "Bonvoy Premier Plus Business Card") and Marriott Rewards Premier Plus (changed automatically to "Bonvoy Boundless").

I already had a Ritz Carlton credit card that I got around June 2014. I barely used it - - but the only thing I can think of is that it ties back to around the 6 or so years that I have had Platinum Elite Status. However, this is not a benefit of this card and I definitely did not spend the $75K on it to get status.

My Ritz Carlton Rewards were combined with Bonvoy during the recent changed I don't have one of those cards that that gives you 1 Elite Credit per $3,000, so it can't be that.

Anyone have any ideas? I am clueless as to how this is possible... Ironically, now I am traveling a lot - so it has come in handy and I want to maintain it, but I am stumped as to how I have had it.
Old Aug 9, 19, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could you have lifetime status? How many lifetime nights do you have? [You should be able to see this in your account, IIRC be clicking DETAILS just under your night count for this year.] How many lifetime status years from Marriott and SPG? Do you have any idea how many lifetime points you earned from Marriott? If you were MR Plat for seven years, you might have earned enough points (especially if you tended to stay at higher end properties or spend a lot during your stays) for lifetime status under the legacy MR rules, or you might have gotten MR Gold, MR Plat, or SPG Plat enough times (ten) to qualify for lifetime Plat that way, assuming that you have enough combined (Marriott and Starwood) lifetime nights.
Old Aug 9, 19, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Here is my account info below. It's not lifetime status. I am only 29 and I have not stayed at a Marriott, SPG, etc in several years up until this year. My travel was very limited until recently outside of staying with friends or family.

I had about 200K points before I made any stays this year and without ever redeeming points within the last 6 years since I first signed up for the RC card (which was when I first opened any type of Marriott / SPG / Ritz rewards account). 70K of those points were a "new card bonus" and the rest were earned from spend over the last 6 years. I looked back at my CC statements and I never exceeded $75K in spend in any given year on that card either to even get Platinum - in fact, the only years I crossed the $10K spending mark for Gold Elite was in 2014, 2017, 2018 and YTD. I merged the RC Rewards into Marriott last year or so.

Below it says I have 45 lifetime status nights. It looks like 25 are from this year, which means 20 are from previous years - for which I had zero stays.

"25 nights needed to renew Platinum Elite"

Lifetime Status:
Nights: 45

Nights Stayed: 10 (YTD)
Paid: 8
Redeemed: 2

Bonus Nights: 15 (YTD)
Marriott Bonvoy Credit Card: 15
Old Aug 9, 19, 2:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Do you have a high status with United?
Old Aug 9, 19, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

No, I never had any real status / rewards with any hotel or airline up until this year. The only time I ever held status with anyone outside of Bonvoy was when I had an Amex Platinum Card a few years ago that has since been cancelled. I believe it has Marriott Gold Elite and Hilton, however I don't believe it had this benefit when I had the card. My only real rewards account is now Bonvoy.

The only other thing I could possibly think of is that my parents own MVCI Deeded Timeshare Weeks - however, my name is not on them nor have I ever used them. Not sure if they provide status or not, but its honestly the only other thing I could think of.
Old Aug 9, 19, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy View Post
Do you have a high status with United?
no United status level gives you Platinum Bonvoy.
Old Aug 9, 19, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat/1.5MM, SPG P100, Marriott LTP(P, coming to you in Jan '19), Hertz Prez, CBP GE, et al
Two thoughts (neither postulating as to the how bit):

1. You neither earned nor used this status over those six years (at least until very recently), so overall no harm/no foul.

2. You've got yourself a nice head start on LT status down the line somewhere - don't look a gift horse in the mouth and just accept that sometimes corporate types work in strange and mysterious ways (and also that Marriott IT can never be presumed innocent when it comes time for the casting of aspersions and blame!).
Old Aug 9, 19, 8:39 pm

I thought the Ritz Card gave or used to give Gold status. During the merger, Gold years were updated to Platinum years, so that's my guess if why you have Platinum years
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CarltonBanks View Post
I thought the Ritz Card gave or used to give Gold status. During the merger, Gold years were updated to Platinum years, so that's my guess if why you have Platinum years
that would explain 'past years' of Platinum, but not 2019 Platinum status IMO.
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:12 am

If you joined SPG and Marriott, the 2018 year granted reciprocal status. Which means that year was double counted for some. I know I gained a year of Platinum that way, and I never stayed at SPGs.
Old Aug 10, 19, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
that would explain 'past years' of Platinum, but not 2019 Platinum status IMO.
If he had old Marriott gold from the $10k spend on the Ritz card (which he says he did) when the merger completed (August?), then he was awarded new Marriott Platinum (which is pretty much old gold) through Feb 2020. This worked for me, albeit just opening the card in July of last year (no $10k required for gold in the first year)
dgreen12 likes this.

Search this Thread