FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Award stay showing all room types at same rate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1982168-award-stay-showing-all-room-types-same-rate.html)

erik123 Aug 8, 2019 2:45 pm

Award stay showing all room types at same rate

Searching for a cash+points stay it shows all rooms available at the same rate (17k + $140) in this case) - from an entry level room to the largest suite. Will they honor the reservation and room type booked?

MSPeconomist Aug 8, 2019 2:49 pm

If you're willing to stay on points in a standard room, it's hard to see how you can lose from trying this. At worst you'll be downgraded to a standard room, either before or upon arrival. You might have better odds if you aren't too piggy, so don't pick the presidential suite.

BTW, I'd print as you're making the reservation, then print the reservation itself with the confirmation number immediately and of course look for (and save) the email confirmation.

erik123 Aug 8, 2019 2:53 pm

How did you guess I went for the Presidential suite?

Pota Aug 8, 2019 3:20 pm

I had this happen sometimes within the app when the rates were actually cash + points.

Are you sure you can actually book the room with purely the points?

erik123 Aug 8, 2019 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pota (Post 31395159)
I had this happen sometimes within the app when the rates were actually cash + points.

Are you sure you can actually book the room with purely the points?

Correct. It is cash + points and the rooms are booked.

MSPeconomist Aug 8, 2019 3:29 pm

Once I saw something like this with SPG: The hotel was sold out and then apparently there was a cancellation and it was possible to book a suite on the website for (normal category) points, the same number that would be required for a standard room. Here my odds of getting the suite as an upgrade would normally have been very good at the property. In this case, I was given the suite and the points reservation (for one night only) was honored without comment.

erik123 Aug 8, 2019 8:16 pm

This is a smallish luxury collection property for New Year's. I think I'd better sort it out beforehand.

JBord Aug 9, 2019 7:04 am

Keep printouts, email confirmations, and any other documentation. Marriott offers a room at a certain rate, you decide to buy it. Doesn't matter if it's for cash or points or in trade for a bunch of bananas. You're accepting their offer. How are you to know they aren't having a sale on suites?

This doesn't mean they won't try to back out of it, but if they do, you have pretty solid ground to stand on to demand they make up for their mistake that "ruined your vacation". Perhaps you settle somewhere in between a standard room and the Presidential suite if you really feel you won't get what you booked.

If it were me, I wouldn't bring it up proactively. I understand the fear of screwing up your New Year's Eve plans, but I'd take the risk. But for me the fun of (non-work) travel is where you go and what you do, and I try to spend as little time in my hotel room as possible.