Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How to tell if my keycard has lounge access?

Old Aug 7, 19, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Club PLT, Avis Pres'd club, HHonors Silver

At a Sheraton in Quebec CA. Check in clerk seemed to give me some sort of upgrade but due to the language barrier I wasn't entirely clear if the lounge access was granted. This hotel's elevator needs tap keycard to be able to press floor number. Two silly questions I have:
1. Only one side's elevator goes up to the club, the opposite one stops at one floor below (take staircase to go up to club). How would people access the club level conveniently? You push the elevator button and would not know which side of elevator stops for you.
2. I was able to tap my keycard and hit the club level, I assume that did not mean I have lounge access? There was someone at lounge asking my room number, I gave her and went to check the lounge then left. She never said you did not have access or anything (took down the number on paper).

Just curious how this normally works out. Want to add that, I'm just the regular member so do not have automatic lounge access.
Old Aug 7, 19, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
every hotel handles it differently. There is no common theme. If the lady at the lounge did not stop you ... you seem to have access. Don't ask, just enjoy the upgrade.
Old Aug 7, 19, 5:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Mileage Plus Silver
Was the door to the club lounge keyed? Did you try using it? I'm confused because, you went from the elevator to inside the club. Most lounges are locked and you use your room key to tap in. If it let you in then yes its good.
Old Aug 7, 19, 5:07 pm
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Pull up your reservation details on the website or app and see if your room category has been changed to one with club access.
Old Aug 12, 19, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Club PLT, Avis Pres'd club, HHonors Silver
So let me just share my observation:
1. The lounge is on top floor, and not keyed nor locked. The only semi-restricted part is only one side of elevators has the top floor, the other side only goes to one floor below with small font explanation to say "change elevator when you reach xx floor". Later found out that you can also take the stairs from one floor below to the lounge, door is not locked or keyed either. But looks like my regular room key can get me to any floor fine.

2. There is a person greeting at the entrance, will ask for room number, but only took it down on a piece of paper, and let me (and everyone I see during the period I was up there) enter without a word. I assumed that she/he should be able to use the computer to find out who has access who does not, but I just don't see the possibility of him/her singling out the guests who did not have access coz it was a pretty busy lounge especially breakfast time. I was concerned that I would get charged for accessing it (charge to the room, as she took down the room number), but never did. It feels like anyone may access the lounge if they stumped through it.

3. I checked the reservation from app, and they did upgraded it to "deluxe" which is a renovated room, but not the "club level".

Kinda of unique setup, different from what i had seen before (normally either need key tap to enter, or go to club floor from the elevator).

Search this Thread