Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Negotiating Resort Fee

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Advice Negotiating Resort Fee

So, I'm planning a trip to FL in October. I'm looking at the Dolphin/Swan for a few days (part of the trip is a WDW visit for Star Wars Land). I note the $30 resort fee nominally includes internet, etc. I also note that as a Titanium I've got that included with my status. What should I ask for or expect in terms of a replacement amenity and when should I approach the subject?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy
Not sure you'll get anywhere with disney on that. update this post though id like to see if they budge
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Check the WIKI out in either the Dolphin or Swan's Master Threads (and check out the most recent posts):
Walt Disney World Swan - Orlando [Master Thread]
Walt Disney World Dolphin - Orlando [Master Thread]

That should give you an idea of what to expect. It sounds like $5 off whatever the current fee is will be what you can expect (and from some of the posts, you have to remind them of that.)
KRSW and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
See the Wiki in this thread

Resort fees, destination fees and associated issues (points, waivers, etc.)
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Swan/Dolphin are not Disney properties.

If this were Disney the answer would be an excessively polite "no."
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Often1

you just blew my mind. i had to look it up, since i've always seen those hotels directly on official disney sites.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by farmerbob
you just blew my mind. i had to look it up, since i've always seen those hotels directly on official disney sites.
They are co-located and operate separately. Sort of the best of both worlds if anything is the "best"
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Do you Negotiate the price of milk? How about the cost of a new pair of shoes? Why do you think you can negotiate resort fees?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hotelboy
Do you Negotiate the price of milk? How about the cost of a new pair of shoes? Why do you think you can negotiate resort fees?
Um, because they are not delivering the promised value. Hopefully, this ugly practice will come to an abrupt halt within the next six months. Until that day comes, it makes sense to push back.
omk298 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by moondog
Um, because they are not delivering the promised value.
Nobody promises value with resort fees. If they did, they would all fail the test.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
(1) I've actually managed to negotiate on some shoes before. In context I know some users on here have also negotiated some benefits from hotels as well (usually where they've stayed frequently).

(2) As I understand it, Marriott policy is that where resort fees cover wifi and elite status comes with wifi (or the equivalent with other benefits) they're supposed to do something in lieu (or potentially reduce the fee) ...but in practice this is touch-and-go/sometimes needs prompting. The logic being that they're charging for stuff we're supposed to get for free. Presuming that nothing was on offer for this I was angling for a realistic "ask".
Toukolou likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
One of my favorite properties in the Marriott family waives the "resort fee" because I ask them to and I keep returning because of that. The manager knows that this keeps my repeat business at their hotel, instead of going to other nearby properties with their mandatory "resort fees."

Of course they are negotiable.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:27 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I got laundry by the pound at some hotels I frequent
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Cool story, captain ripoff.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:54 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive

Originally Posted by farmerbob
They are co-located and operate separately. Sort of the best of both worlds if anything is the "best"
It's a gray area. Disney owns the hotels, but does not operate them - Starwood, now Marriott - operate them. The staff there, while required to maintain Disney standards, do not work for Disney, but are called cast members, and I believe also have to go through Disney's 'Traditions' training (albeit a condensed version)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.