Advice Negotiating Resort Fee

Old Aug 9, 19, 4:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by lbbzman View Post
During my most recent stay at the Dolphin, the replacement amenity to compensate for the resort fee was 125 points per night.
Thatís generous of them! $1 or so...
moondog, Horace, lbbzman and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post

This sort of nominal compensation reminds me of the only free points I ever rejected: I had a week-long stay at an IHG property that I paid for. The property declared that it was a "discounted convention rate" and therefore not eligible for points earning (costing me a week's worth of nights, probably a tier of status, and about 20k points because of an ongoing summer promotion). When I objected, customer service offered me 500 points (same as the hotel welcome amenity) by way of an apology (in what was a rather annoyingly perky email). I was polite but frank and rejected them. That was also the "last straw" incident for me with IHG (following on a prior incident where a hotel jacked the rate by $10/night at check-in during a major event where I was part of a block booking); I haven't credited a night to them in the two years since*.

*I've wound up at two or three IHG properties since, but at this point I always use a third-party to book them.
dgreen12, Horace and Toukolou like this.
Old Aug 11, 19, 11:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
Do you have status? That would be the only way they might offer an alternative, if you're Platinum or above.

Even then you should probably expect to pay it if you stay there.
I only have Gold. But just before the trip I might do a Plat challenge as I have several other stays before and after.
Old Aug 11, 19, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
That's more than the incremental cost of supplying free Wi-Fi in the first place.
Old Aug 11, 19, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MrM2016 View Post
Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include internet access, will provide a replacement benefit
I wonder if that's why more and more properties are charging "destination fees", "convenience fees", and "facility fees". By rule, changing the name means they don't have to offer a replacement since they're not specifically resort fees.
moondog likes this.
Old Aug 11, 19, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I wonder if that's why more and more properties are charging "destination fees", "convenience fees", and "facility fees". By rule, changing the name means they don't have to offer a replacement since they're not specifically resort fees.
Marriott be like
Old Aug 11, 19, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
The destination fee is truly absurd. I cancelled a stay at the Penny Lane (I think that’s the name) in Savannah because of their absurd “destination” fee. I have no idea what that even includes, since there were no obvious amenities beyond a typical hotel. Ridiculous!

I hope the lawsuit is successful and this ridiculous practice is curtailed.
moondog and Horace like this.
Old Aug 11, 19, 7:25 pm
Suspended
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

To me Marriott is more de-centralized than other chains, say Hyatt. A lot hotels are only loosely connected to Marriott. A good example is Bahamas Atlantis. They do not offer or accept any Marriott perks, not even Marriott gift card. They charge their own set of fees. It is going to take Marriott a lot of efforts to control those hotels.
Old Aug 11, 19, 8:48 pm

Crazy idea:
When booking a room on the Marriott website, if you click on "Choose Room Features" the screen expands to provide several choices, one of which is a box to write in "Special Requests or Needs." What if you wrote in the box something to the effect of "I refuse the resort fee, and by accepting this reservation Marriott agrees to accept my refusal." Yeah, I realize that is more than the 45 characters allowed, could be better worded, and has other issues. But in concept could this be a way to fight back? I mean, I disclosed my conditions and Marriott accepted them, so.........
Old Aug 11, 19, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dsauch View Post
how is one supposed to negotiate these at Residence Inn Myrtle Beach Oceanfront:

Please note-USD 15 daily destination amenity fee will be added to room rate-incl bike and locker rental/concierge/parking and more.
So the services of the Concierge is no longer provided as part of the hotel's service, but has become an item which one must purchase separately? Outrageous!
Old Aug 11, 19, 10:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by awerdna2002 View Post
Crazy idea:
When booking a room on the Marriott website, if you click on "Choose Room Features" the screen expands to provide several choices, one of which is a box to write in "Special Requests or Needs." What if you wrote in the box something to the effect of "I refuse the resort fee, and by accepting this reservation Marriott agrees to accept my refusal." Yeah, I realize that is more than the 45 characters allowed, could be better worded, and has other issues. But in concept could this be a way to fight back? I mean, I disclosed my conditions and Marriott accepted them, so.........
Unfortunately that's going to be up there with people writing "I do not allow Facebook to analyse my data" on Facebook.
Old Aug 11, 19, 10:21 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Redsun you are bringing back bad memories of the 36$ nightly mandatory maid gratuity I was forced to pay at the Reef Atlantis last month! Perhaps the most egregrious hotel fee I have yet encountered.
Old Aug 11, 19, 11:00 pm

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by eyeball1 View Post
Redsun you are bringing back bad memories of the 36$ nightly mandatory maid gratuity I was forced to pay at the Reef Atlantis last month! Perhaps the most egregrious hotel fee I have yet encountered.
Mandatory gratuity. That's a good one!

Definition of gratuity : something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service

Old Aug 12, 19, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I am kind-of surprised that the "maid gratuity" in question isn't afoul of some tangle of labor laws: Usually the "gratuity" status would imply both that it goes to cover housekeeping and that it is above and beyond their base wages. IIRC under federal case law, with that description they'd be in big trouble if they didn't transmit it to the employees doing the work...and presuming someone from Housekeeping is covering 20 rooms a day I cannot see them making $180k/yr*. Obviously, the Bahamas (or Dubai) have different rules.

*$36/room times 20 rooms, times 5 days/week, times 50 weeks/year.
Old Aug 12, 19, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
So the services of the Concierge is no longer provided as part of the hotel's service, but has become an item which one must purchase separately? Outrageous!
considering that youdon't really have an option as to whether to pay the resort fee, it's not really purchased separately. It's more like they're just itemizing the bill (and obfuscating it)

Search this Thread