Advice Negotiating Resort Fee

Old Aug 7, 19, 10:04 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta FO
Originally Posted by hotelboy View Post
Do you Negotiate the price of milk? How about the cost of a new pair of shoes? Why do you think you can negotiate resort fees?
Oh, do they have milk fees when you purchase the milk?
Old Aug 7, 19, 11:38 pm

Do you Negotiate the price of milk? How about the cost of a new pair of shoes? Why do you think you can negotiate resort fees?
Do you pay MSRP for everything? Do you book on Marriott.com using the Standard Rate instead of one of the discounted rates/codes?

I want the most value for money. So yes, I will and do negotiate a lot of things. The merchant throws me a bone, I give them loyalty in return. As long as you're not a jerk, it's amazing how many niceties in the travel industry you can get by politely asking and expecting nothing. At the worst, the say there's nothing they can do and you're no worse off.
Old Aug 7, 19, 11:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Silver
This seems clear cut to me.

You have to pay the resort fee, but you are entitled to a replacement benefit instead of internet.

Per the terms:
v. Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include internet access, will provide a replacement benefit, to be determined at each Participating Property's discretion.

It is completely up to the property what you get.

Whilst I understand and admire people who have special agreements with hotels to waive the fee, you are unlikely to secure this unless you are a frequent guest at the property.
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
While this is clearly part of the T&Cís, Iíve not had any luck in getting an alternative benefit the 4 times Iíve asked for once since Bonvoy started.
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I stayed at the Dolphin last year and was given $5 per night off the Resort fee. As I understand it this is done adhering to the rule that where the fee includes elite benefits, there has to be recompense and since the fee includes internet, the hotel rebates $5/nt of the resort fee. I didn’t do or say anything, the resort fee was simply charged at $20 instead of the $25 quoted rate...
MrM2016 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:35 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec
No, because I am not forced to buy unnecessary crap along with that milk.
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I generally avoid booking any Starriott hotels that have these ridiculous resort fees or use points if I really need to stay at such a property. Fortunately Hyatt waives all resort fees for Globs (on bookings through Hyatt or Prive rates), so it's usually pretty easy for me to avoid the resort fees. This is good because the last time I tried, my employer refused to reimburse resort fees.
Old Aug 8, 19, 9:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
On a similar topic, we're going to Hawaii in Oct., and found the hotels there charging "resort" fees. We'll stay at Sheraton Kaiulani for 2 days. Anyone have experience in getting them waived, or get something usable?
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:49 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
how is one supposed to negotiate these at Residence Inn Myrtle Beach Oceanfront:

Please note-USD 15 daily destination amenity fee will be added to room rate-incl bike and locker rental/concierge/parking and more.

and then on details page:
Parking: Complimentary on-site parking

So now the fee includes "complimentary parking", concierge and a locker... Next it will jump to $20 to include "complimentary room cleaning"

These are just so ridiculous.... More.. what is more....
Old Aug 9, 19, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does this RI really have a dedicated professional concierge or is this "benefit" just that some of the front desk agents might be able to answer a few simple questions such as the location of the nearest McD's across the street or which direction the beach is.
Old Aug 9, 19, 2:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Isn't the mistake trying to claim that the customer is getting something? Why not just have it "Addl. Profit Margin = $35" and then there isn't anything to be disputed.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Aug 9, 19, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Tbh I'm finding myself wondering about the chances of successfully lodging a chargeback in a case like Myrtle Beach (since the parking is indicated as free one place, it could be framed as an improper parking charge).
Old Aug 9, 19, 4:02 pm

When I go on vacation the last thing I want to do is negotiate with a front desk clerk about why I shouldn't have to pay a resort fee. That sounds very much like work to me. I am lifetime tit and over 90 nights YTD... maybe going to hit Ambassador this year. So I "get it" and understand the unfairness but I still say enjoy the vacation.
fdem and Toukolou like this.
Old Aug 9, 19, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by yscleo View Post
On a similar topic, we're going to Hawaii in Oct., and found the hotels there charging "resort" fees. We'll stay at Sheraton Kaiulani for 2 days. Anyone have experience in getting them waived, or get something usable?
Do you have status? That would be the only way they might offer an alternative, if you're Platinum or above.

Even then you should probably expect to pay it if you stay there.
Old Aug 9, 19, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Dia; Bonvoy Amb; Hertz PC; National EE; AXP Plat; Chase CSR; Citi Prestige; WDW Passh
During my most recent stay at the Dolphin, the replacement amenity to compensate for the resort fee was 125 points per night.

The Sheraton Lake Buena Vista waives its resort fee as well as parking charges for platinums and up.

Cheers,
LBBZman

Search this Thread