Saying no to suites

Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Saying no to suites

i may be alone on this but I’m starting to become of the mind to turn down suite upgrades when traveling for business.

I’ve had a couple stays in recent trips where I’ve been upgraded to suites. Problem is these one bed room suites are separated from the so calling living area so the bed room feels smaller than a normal room would. I also never use the living area as I like to sit in bed when in the room

am I alone in the opinion that suites are pointless for work trips and turning down the suite upgrade for another upgraded room type is the way to go?
andrewstahl, altabello and hnewman like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I find that it is the case for some suites - the usual suite I'm upgraded to in the Grande Bretagne, for example. The worst situation is where there's a slightly claustrophobic bedroom and then a living room without a comfortable seating area.

That's a minority of cases for me though. I usually find suite bedrooms are comfortable enough and the living room allows me to do work, watch TV, workout etc. in a separate room with a bit more space before retiring to my bed. When travelling for work I pretty much have every evening guaranteed at at the hotel, so it does make a difference for me.
C17PSGR and JBord like this.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Aug 7, 2019 at 11:30 am
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
You are not alone. I am much more likely to leave something spreading out in a suite.
Antarius and BeanTownBoy like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by texmanufan
You are not alone. I am much more likely to leave something spreading out in a suite.
Agree, for work I'm fine with a standard room. Takes me an extra 20 minutes to hope that I didn't forget something, looking everywhere. Unfortunately its work that the upgrades happen, not personal travel with family.
altabello and SF1K like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some suites have nicer bathrooms than regular rooms while others have an additional half bath off the parlor or entry foyer. The latter is very convenient and nice to have if you want to use the living room for meetings.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Suites are great when the HVAC is noisy. I can run the unit in the unoccupied room, leave it off in the room I'm in, and the air will circulate eventually.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would be nice if we can specify upgrade preference; for example size vs view. Many standard suites don't have nice view which may not be better than premium view rooms.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Junior suites are a different story as they usually are just a big ole room and I will always take a bigger bed room.

But I’m pretty sure I’m done with one bedroom suites for work travel. Just completed a stay and got a one bed 1.5 bath suite. The damn thing had three exit doors that I had to check were locked each time I went into the room and the entire space was a waste

something else to consider. The bigger the room, the longer it takes to clean. If housekeeping is in a rush they might be tempted to skip a few steps on a suite that they couldn’t get away with in a smaller room. For example I left an empty juice bottle in my half kitchen. Came back to the room and the bottle was still there. Housekeeping also failed to refresh all my towels, but took the dirty ones and made the bed.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by TerryK
It would be nice if we can specify upgrade preference; for example size vs view. Many standard suites don't have nice view which may not be better than premium view rooms.
The downtown SLC Sheraton is a good example of suites that are actually a downgrade. Huge rooms, but worthless.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:26 am

The biggest benefit I get from suites is simply physical separation from other guests and sources of noise, especially when they're configured so that the living area sits between the bedroom and another guest room.

Also second the previous comments on HVAC noise reduction/control and better working spaces. To that latter point, I also order a lot of room service so I enjoy it when there's some place to eat other than at the desk, especially when it's the evening and my desk space is already set up for work. The best setup has been at some suites with big dining tables where I can have everything in one place.

Oh, and more toiletries to bring home if there is a second bathroom. At some places, the suites actually get larger sizes of individual toiletries as well.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
I tend to agree. For me its the bedroom is often designed so light leaks in, say through frosted glass to the bathroom. Also I've found HVAC can be actually worse in many suites. Really just depends on the hotel and suite design though. A couple times standard rooms had very small shower, while the suite's shower was very comfortable. I think this one has to be hotel specific, but several times I've changed to a standard room over a suite.
altabello likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
I've had situations where the hotel went ahead and upgraded me to a suite after I requested 2 beds. Well its not so fun, when one person has to sleep on the pullout.
altabello likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
i may be alone on this but I’m starting to become of the mind to turn down suite upgrades when traveling for business.

I’ve had a couple stays in recent trips where I’ve been upgraded to suites. Problem is these one bed room suites are separated from the so calling living area so the bed room feels smaller than a normal room would. I also never use the living area as I like to sit in bed when in the room

am I alone in the opinion that suites are pointless for work trips and turning down the suite upgrade for another upgraded room type is the way to go?
We also dislike actual suites, with a separate bedroom, unless we plan to have someone stop by for a quick meeting (very unlikely these days). The bedrooms are usually quite tiny, unless one has a high-end suite at a luxury property.
(Suites can be useful if we are traveling with family, including grands, in which case we've identified a few 3BR suites, but those are few and far between, and not "upgrades", to put it mildly.)

But we love the huge "executive [or junior] 'suite' rooms", with lots of extra space. It's also nice if there are WIDE French doors (IF there have to be any doors at all), which can be left open most of the time, still keeping it mostly "one big room".

And yeah, it's tricky... how does one quietly "hint" that "IF you are going to surprise us with an upgrade, could it please have x,y, and z specifications?"

And in the USA, 1BR suites are less likely to have an extra bathroom or even half-bath, which is one of the other serious advantages elsewhere.
When we used to travel to conferences where we were both working/giving presentations, we'd request two "interior connecting rooms" (and call to double check that this wasn't a hotel that figured two rooms next to each other were just as good!).
That way, we used one as sort of an office, so the other could get to sleep earlier, plus we'd have two full bathrooms to get ready for early morning meetings. We had made the mistake early on of getting a 1BR suite for that purpose, without thinking it through properly, alas.

GC
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Happy to pick up the slack and take all your upgrades off your hands
JBord, zzap, Isochronous and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Happy to pick up the slack and take all your upgrades off your hands
Seriously. I once got a seriously nice upgrade for a room where due to changing circumstances I ended up having to leave only ~6 hours in, and was still glad I got it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.