Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saying no to suites

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
am I alone in the opinion that suites are pointless for work trips and turning down the suite upgrade for another upgraded room type is the way to go?
Nope. Same here.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Depends on the suite.

Quite a few properties put the suites adjacent to the elevators. I turn those down.
BeanTownBoy and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Quite a few properties put the suites adjacent to the elevators. I turn those down.
Very true. Just a couple months ago I had to throw back a huge suite at the Beaux Arts in Miami because the bedroom headboard literally shared a wall with the elevator shaft. I was like, you could have put this...anywhere else!!!
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
If I'm somewhere for just a night (usually the case) I agree that I'd prefer a bigger room over a suite. If I'm somewhere for a few days, which happens a few times a year when I visit corporate HQ, it's nice to have the extra room. I can leave the office at 5 and work more comfortably from the living room for a bit before heading to dinner. Then wind down on a couch watching TV in the evening rather than feel like I'm crawling into bed at 8:00.

But I can't see ever turning one down when I get that upgrade.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Personally prefer rooms like this, without a wall:

by B H, on Flickr
This was the Club Room at the Imperial Riding School in Vienna. Pretty much a suite without a wall. It was much bigger than your typical junior suite. When I was told that I was upgraded to a "Club Room," I was a bit disappointed until I stepped inside. Between the TV and the door, there's another hallway which is where the closet is.

The open layout like this is something I'd prefer over the claustrophobic layout of many suites. You can look around from anywhere in the room and can see where you left stuff instead of going from room to room turning lights on and off trying to find something.

Last edited by seat38a; Aug 7, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by seat38a
Personally prefer rooms like this, without a wall:

by B H, on Flickr
This was the Club Room at the Imperial Riding School in Vienna. Pretty much a suite without a wall. It was much bigger than your typical junior suite. When I was told that I was upgraded to a "Club Room," I was a bit disappointed until I stepped inside. Between the TV and the door, there's another hallway which is where the closet is.

The open layout like this is something I'd prefer over the claustrophobic layout of many suites. You can look around from anywhere in the room and can see where you left stuff instead of going from room to room turning lights on and off trying to find something.
100% agree these kind of rooms with no walls are the way to go
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I actually quite appreciate a door between the living room area and the bedroom. Particularly when working late in the room, it's good for sleep to be able to physically move to a different room (ideally 1-2 degrees cooler).
MSPeconomist, Kacee and JBord like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Depends on the suite.

Proximity to the elevator is a bonus. No walk.

Just goes to show there is no one size fits all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.