Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Taipei, Taiwan

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Taipei, Taiwan

Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Hello! Planning a trip to Taipei in December 2020. I'm a plat who needs to requalify, so looking at spending 3-5 nights in a Bonvoy-eligible hotel. Looking at possibly booking with points, we'll see how things shake out with a BRG. Will be there with the mrs. as tourists. Based on the reading I've done so far, it looks like my best bets are the W or LeMeridien, and leaning towards the LM. Any recent stays?

Some things that might be relevant:
- never stayed at a LM
- stayed at the W Seattle once, wasn't impressed (and didn't like the bed)
- we're not really into the party scene, and we prefer a more casual dress code - we still like luxury accommodations and service though!

Do plats get the full breakfasts at either hotel? Or is it breakfast in the lounge with a more limited menu?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Courtyard all the way

What is not to like about this property?
OK, its a bit off the beaten track. Nangang (B21) is near the end of the Blue Line. On the other hand:
- Platinum treatment is unbelievably good. I rec'd a choco amenity, fruit in my room, an upgraded suite on the 26th floor;
- the brekkie (7-10) in the lounge is fantastic, hors d'oeuvres runs 17:30-19:30 and incl. beer, wine, noodle soup and several other hot dishes (tonight, for example, they had pasta & Indian curry).
I also discovered they have modern art all over the property and they offer a free art tour 2/x a week @ 16:30.
Also, I just checked the rates of the day. The Courtyard is 4,600 Taiwanese dollars whereas the W is 8,800!
(PM me if you need the e-mail for the Chief Concierge).
sambagrrl07 and unclepants like this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
A run down of the Marriott Bonvoy hotels I know of:

1) W - it's great but I would personally stay away because it's a fav for drug parties. The head of security there is infamous for blocking ambulances personnel at the front door to save an unconscious girl in her room citing "guest privacy" (turns out it was drug overdose and hotel needed time to "clean up" before letting anybody up), that tells you about the "background" of the hotel. I've once gotten a suite that smell really bad and I would suspect the previous guests had a wild drug party, but W was fully booked (they claimed) and couldn't change my room, not even a downgrade, and they ended up putting 3 air-filter machines in my room to try to rid of the stink, which didn't work. Never again.

2) Le Meridien - great staff and location and great services. If you have the cash, this is the one to stay at in Taipei in my humble opinion. Right in the middle of the best commercial Xinyi district in Taipei.

3) Courtyard Nangang - sorry, not my thing at all. Way out there in the middle of nowhere (literally nothing to do at night). You can ride the subway to Taipei City Hall which is a few stops away, but anything beyond that the travel time adds up and it becomes a hassle. Simply too out of the way for my liking and again, gets depressing at night.

4) Marriott - great hotel but again too far out of the way, and worst than Nangang. Not close to anything and the Brown line is a bore. Going to Xinyi or Ximending or other places requires a decent amount of time by subway or taxi. Again, depresses by nightfall. Great hotel, horrific location.

5) Sheraton - probably the best in my opinion. Short subway rides to Ximending or Xinyi. Plenty to do around, 5 minutes away from Taipei Main (Train) Station. Plenty of shops and restaurants around the hotel day or night. Ever since Westin is closed this is my go to hotel.
unclepants and cwang220 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Chihster
It is one of my favorites in Taipei because of its newness and decent value. It is about 5-10 minutes walk to the MTR and shorter distance to the main road with multiple bus lines. Rooms are nice and gym is decent. I personally prefer the front-facing rooms where you look out to green mountains. If you get a back-facing room, you are looking at the next building, which is quite close. We used to like the lounge there a lot, but it has gone downhill since earlier. The evening selection is very poor and they didn't have any bubble water (Perrier and the likes). Only cold drinks available are soda and beer. At least now you get to have breakfast in the main restaurant. I would still choose the Renaissance most times if you can get a decent rate. Just hope they can get the lounge back up in quality.
Wow, thanks for the review. I was considering to try it, but with such lounge it is a definite no-go.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
1) W - it's great but I would personally stay away because it's a fav for drug parties. The head of security there is infamous for blocking ambulances personnel at the front door to save an unconscious girl in her room citing "guest privacy" (turns out it was drug overdose and hotel needed time to "clean up" before letting anybody up), that tells you about the "background" of the hotel. I've once gotten a suite that smell really bad and I would suspect the previous guests had a wild drug party
Wonder how one can join in
Old Jun 21, 2020, 11:21 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
A run down of the Marriott Bonvoy hotels I know of:

1) W - it's great but I would personally stay away because it's a fav for drug parties. The head of security there is infamous for blocking ambulances personnel at the front door to save an unconscious girl in her room citing "guest privacy" (turns out it was drug overdose and hotel needed time to "clean up" before letting anybody up), that tells you about the "background" of the hotel. I've once gotten a suite that smell really bad and I would suspect the previous guests had a wild drug party, but W was fully booked (they claimed) and couldn't change my room, not even a downgrade, and they ended up putting 3 air-filter machines in my room to try to rid of the stink, which didn't work. Never again.

2) Le Meridien - great staff and location and great services. If you have the cash, this is the one to stay at in Taipei in my humble opinion. Right in the middle of the best commercial Xinyi district in Taipei.

3) Courtyard Nangang - sorry, not my thing at all. Way out there in the middle of nowhere (literally nothing to do at night). You can ride the subway to Taipei City Hall which is a few stops away, but anything beyond that the travel time adds up and it becomes a hassle. Simply too out of the way for my liking and again, gets depressing at night.

4) Marriott - great hotel but again too far out of the way, and worst than Nangang. Not close to anything and the Brown line is a bore. Going to Xinyi or Ximending or other places requires a decent amount of time by subway or taxi. Again, depresses by nightfall. Great hotel, horrific location.

5) Sheraton - probably the best in my opinion. Short subway rides to Ximending or Xinyi. Plenty to do around, 5 minutes away from Taipei Main (Train) Station. Plenty of shops and restaurants around the hotel day or night. Ever since Westin is closed this is my go to hotel.
There's also the Renaissance for proximity to Shihlin night market.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 5:28 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I think this is my subjective ranking of the Taipei properties I tried - as always, full reviews and photos are in the respective master threads. Most of these exclude evening lounge service as I missed those on this trip.
  1. W - super plush bed, tasty breakfast, pretty design and views
  2. Sheraton - nice bed, nice shower, nice suite
  3. Courtyard Downtown - nice bed, nice breakfast, nice shower
  4. Marriott - nice bed with great pillows, shower could be improved, great view, good breakfast
  5. Hotel Proverbs - no late checkout, great design, tasty breakfast in my rate, pillows could be improved
  6. Le Meridien - great bed, not a fan of the lack of suite upgrade without extra fee, AC wonky

I would probably put the Grand Hyatt between the W and Sheraton.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 3:03 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I think this is my subjective ranking of the Taipei properties I tried - as always, full reviews and photos are in the respective master threads. Most of these exclude evening lounge service as I missed those on this trip.
  1. W - super plush bed, tasty breakfast, pretty design and views
  2. Sheraton - nice bed, nice shower, nice suite
  3. Courtyard Downtown - nice bed, nice breakfast, nice shower
  4. Marriott - nice bed with great pillows, shower could be improved, great view, good breakfast
  5. Hotel Proverbs - no late checkout, great design, tasty breakfast in my rate, pillows could be improved
  6. Le Meridien - great bed, not a fan of the lack of suite upgrade without extra fee, AC wonky

I would probably put the Grand Hyatt between the W and Sheraton.
I would probably rank the Sheraton lower. No upgrades, poor breakfast buffet, reservation system for lounge.

Have you stayed at the Aloft Zhongshan? I would rank it at the bottom half.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 4:37 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by YariGuy
I would probably rank the Sheraton lower. No upgrades, poor breakfast buffet, reservation system for lounge.

My experience at the Sheraton was quite different in regards to suite upgrades, but I wont disagree that there are better breakfasts. I have not stayed at the Aloft.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by YariGuy

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
My experience at the Sheraton was quite different in regards to suite upgrades, but I wont disagree that there are better breakfasts. I have not stayed at the Aloft.
I would say Aloft is my go to budget trip hotel at 3800 per night. Best thing about the place? the night market right outside! lol

Sheraton is OLD. For Bonvoy - its either the Courtyard Downtown for me or Aloft. The rest really aint worth the money.

Outside of TPE..the Marriots are so much nicer and value for money...get upgrades all the time.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by dreamcast18
I would say Aloft is my go to budget trip hotel at 3800 per night. Best thing about the place? the night market right outside! lol

Sheraton is OLD. For Bonvoy - its either the Courtyard Downtown for me or Aloft. The rest really aint worth the money.

Outside of TPE..the Marriots are so much nicer and value for money...get upgrades all the time.
Which one? Is it close to the MRT so I can quickly get back to TPE?

Aloft Taipei Zhongshan 34,000 points/ 9,240 TWD
Taipei Marriott 34,000 points/8,489 TWD
Le Meridien Taipei 66,000 points/10,753 TWD
W Taipei 69,000 points/16,412 TWD

All the cash rates that I have posted are inclusive of taxes.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Which one? Is it close to the MRT so I can quickly get back to TPE?

Aloft Taipei Zhongshan 34,000 points/ 9,240 TWD
Taipei Marriott 34,000 points/8,489 TWD
Le Meridien Taipei 66,000 points/10,753 TWD
W Taipei 69,000 points/16,412 TWD

All the cash rates that I have posted are inclusive of taxes.
Aloft charges how much? NOT worth it at all. If you're taking a taxi to TPE I would say Marriott would be the "fastest", and if you take a taxi around town I would say stay at Marriott. However, if you like shopping in walking distance then Le Meridien. Stay away from drug-party W (my opinion). I am really surprised Marriott is only 34,000 points as usually they charge the same as Le Meridien or W. Must be really desperate.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:01 pm

best breakfast?

my wife and i are headed to taipei in a couple weeks. we will be there over her birthday. she, and i admit, i enjoy an expansive and tasty buffet breakfast. is there any consensus on which marriott bonvoy hotel in taipei has the best breakfast? (yes, we will be enjoying lots of local food too.) thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2024, 4:38 am
KKD

Programs: Marriott
Probably W taipei and LM taipei are still one of the best in the system both offering very expansive brekkie buffet IMO
pablos likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 11:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by KKD
Probably W taipei and LM taipei are still one of the best in the system both offering very expansive brekkie buffet IMO
Do you know much about the Marriott or Sheraton breakfasts? I'm looking to use some FNCs later this year at one of those.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.