Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Attempted $5k theft in JW- what next?

Attempted $5k theft in JW- what next?

Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:03 am
HMO

Originally Posted by seat38a
US credit cards do not have pins. Pin numbers are only for cash advance on CC's.
I'm really amazed by this information (I'm Brazilian).
All credit and debit cards here have pins, and you need to use them for each and any purchase, even a 5 candy/gum. The only way to avoid its use is with internet purchases, where you need to use the security code (which is printed on the card, a red flag IMO).
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
My Barclay chip card asks for a pin when used outside of the US.
Well, yeah. As he mentioned, it's cards from US banks that usually don't have pins. Barclays is a british bank. It's not a regulatory thing where US issuers are prevented from using PINs. For a UK bank, it's probably easier for them to have a single process to put PINs on all cards they issue rather than having a separate US process.
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That's odd, because Americans are known around the world for being convinced that some suburb of Luxembourg is going to be super dangerous when they've just avoided a series of mass shootings in their home state (obviously a stereotype, but one with lots and lots and lots of examples). I mean, there's 30 countries where people live longer than in the US despite their healthcare systems having only a fraction of the funding and so much of the leading research and technology comes from US research.

PS Slightly amusingly to me, but not to her, the same thing just happened to my mother with a card she used twice at IAH while on a 4 hour transit to the US but that she otherwise hadn't used in 6 months.
I said most, I would consider most of Europe safer than alot of places in the united states, however you chance of getting pick pocketed in Rome is higher than in NYC, largely I am taking about South/Central AMerica parts of eastn europe, parts of the middle east and parts of Asia.
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by HMO
I'm really amazed by this information (I'm Brazilian).
All credit and debit cards here have pins, and you need to use them for each and any purchase, even a 5 candy/gum. The only way to avoid its use is with internet purchases, where you need to use the security code (which is printed on the card, a red flag IMO).
I use my chip card without pin all the time abroad. The machine prints a slip for me to sign and I sign it. Some places the merchant isn't prepared and is fumbling to find a pen. I've learned to bring my own.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
lol, I travel extensively and >95% of the places I go are exponentially safer than my hometown of Oakland. The only real exceptions in the past 5+ years being Mexico and Cali, Colombia.

IME most Americans are unnecessarily paranoid about personal safety in foreign countries.
Yup there you go again. Just because someones experience isn't the same as yours, you shoot them down. I thought it was just in the United forum with you flashing your 1K card so you know best, but it seems to be pervasive.
Happy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.