Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Attempted $5k theft in JW- what next?

Attempted $5k theft in JW- what next?

Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Automatically blamed an employee for what was likely an organized gang which defeated the door lock.
2. Did not call the police.
3. Did not want to "press charges."

In any reasonable world, that equates to "case closed."

This whole thing sounds like buyer's remorse.
mikebor, diburning and ExArkie like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

An organized gang walked in to the hotel, randomly went to the 8th floor, skipped over fifteen rooms they would have needed to pass to get to ours, searched through my girlfriends clothes to find a credit card, scanned it, put it back where it was, then didnít take any valuables in the room? Are you serious?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by Nhilar
In Rio? I would believe it...however the local police do realize the importance of tourist money...so probably not in any obvious way.
It's Brasil, they're not worried about macroeconomic impacts of crime on the tourist industry. They might not do the shakedown in the room but wait until you're stupid enough to go outside with them "to discuss".
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

My entire point in this thread is that itís INSANE that we didnít get an email from the hotel following up. We were left the hotel soon after we reported and were told they would follow up after security had looked in to the door logs. Instead we heard nothing.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by arlflyer
You'll receive a range of responses on this, ranging from suggesting that you rain down fire and brimstone against the hotel to stating that this was, at the end of the day, a fairly painless way to learn a key life lesson. Take from them what you will.

Edit: Already got the first interesting response, suggesting that the OP call the local Brazilian police. Lol.
regardless of whether the Brazilian police are worthless that is the correct action AFTER notifying hotel security and management. In that conversation you should point out that you will immediately be leaving a very negative trip advisor review and sending a note to Marriott corporate.

The all too often reality is that hotel staff are complicit in these kinds of thefts.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by WMTribe84
My entire point in this thread is that itís INSANE that we didnít get an email from the hotel following up. We were left the hotel soon after we reported and were told they would follow up after security had looked in to the door logs. Instead we heard nothing.
First, there are no door logs. If there are, no one knows how to access it or if they can access it, they have no way of making sense of the data.

Second, even if there were, they wouldn't look at them, since they already know who's doing the crime. They might not be involved themselves, but know those who are, and will not speak up about it. N„o sei, n„o quero saber e odio de quem sabem.

Third, you've already paid them for your stay (or Marriott has if you used points), so in their eyes there's no downside to ignoring you. You won't stay there again, thus there is no more milk in the cow for them to take.

Fourth, you're thousands of miles away now, so there's nothing you're going to do to them.

Fifth, they really don't give a crap about some rich gringos, especially ones who, in their eyes, do stupid things and didn't actually get robbed.

If they ever say anything, it will be a variation of "we looked into it and it was probably criminals from outside the hotel".
Newman likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr

regardless of whether the Brazilian police are worthless that is the correct action AFTER notifying hotel security and management.
The police aren't worthless, they're criminals for the most part. Any and all contact with police in Brasil should be avoided if possible. They are not there to help you, they're not there to fight crime, they're not there to make things safer.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My entire point in this thread is that itís INSANE that we didnít get an email from the hotel following up.
It's really not. Your expectations don't match how hotels handle such complaints.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by catocony
The police aren't worthless, they're criminals for the most part. Any and all contact with police in Brasil should be avoided if possible. They are not there to help you, they're not there to fight crime, they're not there to make things safer.
have you had direct actual contact with Rio police and been shaken down or made to feel unsafe. Anyone? I understand they are not ideal yet the rampant misinformation on the internet continues to prevent people from doing what is right. I maintain the hotel staff are much more corrupt. This is true in Barcelona and many other countries.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:09 pm

have you had direct actual contact with Rio police and been shaken down or made to feel unsafe. Anyone? I understand they are not ideal yet the rampant misinformation on the internet continues to prevent people from doing what is right. I maintain the hotel staff are much more corrupt. This is true in Barcelona and many other countries.
I have spent around 650 days in Rio since 2003, was married to a carioca, and have actually stayed at this Marriott property around 15 times over the years for a total of around 100 nights. I have had interactions with the police, and plenty of interactions with the hotel staff. EVERYONE is corrupt there. If they can make a buck off of someone else, they will. They're not all criminals, but for the most part, if you're not a bad guy - the cops are - then you look the other way 100% of the time.

They don't investigate armed robberies on Atlantica in front of the hotel. They don't investigate muggings on the beach side of Atlantica across from the Marriott, where the kiosks are. They don't investigate crimes of any sort for the most part, and they will never investigate a crime in a hotel where nothing was actually taken. Again, as I wrote above, guests are being bushwhacked 8 feet in front of the entry to the hotel, and no one does a thing about it.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:14 pm

Wait, what? Your comparing Eurozone cops, while they may not be Hercule Piorot are generally reasonably uncorrupted,to South American Policia? You know in some remote regions of Brazil the cops dont get paid by the government and are expected to pay themselves out of fines and tickets?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Rio has some serious problems, but if the rest of the world looked at the US like some Americans look at the rest of the world DisneyWorld would be a very quiet place.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's really not. Your expectations don't match how hotels handle such complaints.
fair enough.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

The concierge told us the name of the merchant was an online company unique to Brazil, Mercado Brago I believe the name was. They said that the usage of a mobile payment processor (like Square) was likely and referenced that this was a common method of theft.
Mercado Pago is a mobile payment processor, like Moneris. Not a merchant. https://www.mercadopago.com.br/

So that means the staff member had a handheld device and an account with Mercado Pago to receive payments. Or was working with another business. So should be pretty easy to find out who the account is registered to. This seems far too sophisticated for cleaning staff or a hotel employee. Ask your card company who the payment was made to, not who the payment processor was. And whether it was a payment (as I suspect) or merchandise, and who the merchant/account holder is.

I suspect it is as a previous poster said - card present does not necessarily mean ‘chip present’. I suspect the card was not actually taken and physically used but compromised elsewhere, by a remote reader, cloned or something else. I think blaming the hotel here may be premature and/or misguided. It sounds a lot more organized than someone happening to rifle through someone’s pocket, happening to find a credit card, just happening to have a payment processor and account (that can be traced back to them) with them, running the card and putting it back before getting caught, knowing the payment can be traced back to them. The more logical/plausible scenario is a compromised card by organized thieves.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Nhilar
Wait, what? Your comparing Eurozone cops, while they may not be Hercule Piorot are generally reasonably uncorrupted,to South American Policia? You know in some remote regions of Brazil the cops dont get paid by the government and are expected to pay themselves out of fines and tickets?
my comment about Barcelona was in regards to corrupt hotel staff. Thank you for allowing me to clarify.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.