Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by JBord
A few bloggers wrote about this back in March. It's the old R-C invitation only status.
Also arguably a replacement for the old, unpublished Starwood VIP status.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Cobalt actually came first..
SPG has had Ambassador since ~2013.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by acrophobia
Not to hijack the thread, but are RC clubs really that special? I’ve never even stayed in an RC, so this is a completely honest question.
Having asked myself that same question, I thought this recent review of the R-C Tokyo was interesting:

https://onemileatatime.com/ritz-carlton-tokyo-review/

It looks like a very nice lounge, but a $350/nt nice lounge?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Not to hijack the thread, but are RC clubs really that special? I’ve never even stayed in an RC, so this is a completely honest question.
IME, yes.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Well, if you get it for free with the Cobalt status, then sure. It's not something I would pay for.

Originally Posted by dtremit
Having asked myself that same question, I thought this recent review of the R-C Tokyo was interesting:

https://onemileatatime.com/ritz-carlton-tokyo-review/

It looks like a very nice lounge, but a $350/nt nice lounge?
And just to point it out, many of the Marriott lounges in Asia are similar to the RC review you referenced.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
That depends on what you're comparing them to. The RC Club Lounge might not dramatically better than lounges if you're use to the lounges at the properties in Asia, except in the drinks area, but compared to US properties its a pretty large difference. First of all, and likely the biggest difference is effectively an open bar all day, both self serve and much deeper selection by asking the staff. Except at breakfast time wine, beer and a selection of free pour alcohol is put out along with snacks all day. If your choice isn't available you can ask the staff and depending on the hotel it'll depends how far that will go without a change. I've actually only once had a CL concierge mention a charger for a drink, that was at the Chicago RC when I ask if there had a single malt scotch, they did have a Glenlivet but the lobby bar would deliver whatever I chose. Every other RC CL I've never had a issue, and normally they volunteer to mix whatever I want, I often have a Martini before going to dinner with small plate of their apps. After coming back to the hotel from dinner, if I'm back early enough, a Macallan 12 or two. That said its much more of benefit at a resort.

Breakfast might be less varied compared to some of the more recently remodeled Marriotts that have the lounge with a door access to the hot breakfast selections. But its a good breakfast buffet. The rest of the meals, or as RC calls them presentations, are more of a heavy appetizer - soup, salad, sandwich for lunch, a high tea in the afternoon and appetizers for dinner, then dessert later. It would be possible use the club lounge as a sort of all inclusive, it certainly seem on holiday weekend many family do use it that way esp at resorts but ts not intended that way

They're also set up to be more comfortable to spend time in than the average lounge and are fully staffed all day with at least a concierge and at least one or two attendants.

They up charge of the lounge is normally it seems in the $300 range but I've been offered it at check in for $75 a number times. Since breakfast for two at an RC can easily total $60 or more that discounted price is worth it. I wouldn't pay $300. I get CL access via the RC credit card an over a week at a resort its pretty nice savings.
SPN Lifer, acrophobia and escape4 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7
As @bhrubin mentioned above, the Cobalt tier most likely aimed at people who have influence to direct business to the hotel.

And to have these people meet up with hotels GM is a best way to build networks, influence their decision, and hear their concerns.

For a normal business travelers and holidaying tourists, meeting with the GM might just end up wasting both parties time.
Such a person would not have trouble getting an appointment on the GM's calendar, secret status or not.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
They have indeed, but Marriott has only has Ambassador status for a year. In any case, Cobalt has been discussed on Flyertalk since 2012, but it's presumably a fair bit older than that.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:27 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
In the thread I linked to earlier in this thread, I do believe Cobalt level was being discussed in the mid-2012 timeframe. So I would guess Cobalt level would have had to have started sometime before that.
SPN Lifer and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I expect that fruit and wine is a standard gift. I don't expect a hotel to know that I don't eat candy, or that I drink very little. Nevertheless, I do appreciate the gesture of a gift of chocolate and/or wine. For me, it's the thought, the gesture, not the actual gift, that matters.
Where are fruit and wine a standard gift? Is that the welcome amenity instead of points?
Just curious since I've only ever had anything waiting or brought to the room was at (some) Asian properties
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:52 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

It hurts me to link to him, but this article has some good info.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA GS (2MM), Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
And the hotel was supposed to know that?

Many GMs are pleasant and interesting people who have lived in a number of countries and thus have interesting perspectives on a wide variety of topics. Personally, I enjoy my chats with hotel management, and not limited to the GM.
+1

I'm not Cobalt Elite but those are relationships I cherish.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think that frankly seeing this “cobalt” status, there are many benefits that are unpublished and unlisted that may be ultimately more valuable than the published ones.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I have always enjoyed RC lounges. I would definitely not pay the rates some of them charge. I find many lounges in Asia at a LC, where I do most of my travel, are almost at the same level/ at the same level. Until my recent history of not staying at Marriott because of technical issues, I would always skip a RC for a LC or STR because of the lounge access at LC and the free breakfast at STR. I don't care much about points earning -- I care about benefits and service given to my loyalty such as upgrades and free lounge access-- so there is no compelling reason for me to stay at a RC unless my friend is the owner etc. and I want to support them
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott/SPG PPE+ Ambassador
Threshold?

Any ideas on actual spend needed for Cobalt?

I’m $55k in on personal spend for 120 nights so far with another $10k to come before year end...
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
cobalt

i just got made a bonvoy "cobalt. Did not say much but great invitation. Anybody here one? What to expect?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.