Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by knownothing
i just got made a bonvoy "cobalt. Did not say much but great invitation. Anybody here one? What to expect?
Congrats, not much is known about it...what were your nights and spend last year and how were you invited?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:35 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by pbfoot
Congrats, not much is known about it...what were your nights and spend last year and how were you invited?
His profile says "retired old man board member" so I suspect his Cobalt status has more to do with the fact that he's a VIP which can influence the stays of several people, more so than his personal travel statistics. Which is what Cobalt is essentially.
1200GS likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

i just got made a bonvoy "cobalt. Did not say much but great invitation. Anybody here one? What to expect?
Congrats and enjoy. You might be the first person I've seen with the status on FT. Let us know what you think about the treatment you receive on upcoming stays.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Your FlyerTalk profile indicates Bonvoy Titanium — not even Ambassador.

Did you go straight from Titanium to Cobalt?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:30 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Horace

He allegedly has a Centurion card, so his discretionary income is likely very high.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by Horace

From what I was told by the GM at a Ritz yesterday. The cobalf has nothing to do with the amount of stays. it is an invitation. Perhaps got it as stay at club level RC marina del rey abut 4 times/year - but always send BBQ to fead doorman (he is from memphis) and birthday notes to club staff
SPN Lifer and 1200GS like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Just resuscitating an old thread to see if anyone has been granted Cobalt status or has heard any more about it recently.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
I figured I'd bump this thread and see if there are any more data points on cobalt yet.

Prior to just recently there was no way I'd figure most normal ambassador members might get cobalt. then earlier this year I got a hell of a nice surprise and was bumped up for CK on american after a decade as executive platinum, so I got to thinking about marriott...

This month I'll end up the midway point for the year with 65 nights butt in bed, and about 120 qualifying nights thanks to credit card spend. Qualifying spend will be about 50k. I would expect to continue the same trend for the back half of the year. Ambassador for 9 years now iirc, 1100 or so nights under my belt lifetime.

With these kind of numbers does it seem plausible that I might get cobalt?

l'll be visiting one of my preferred properties next week. A place where most of the front staff knows me by name. Should I try the old *cough cough putmeinforcobaltplease cough* routine?

ordinarily I'd say that if you have to ask this question, the answer is no, but with my CK surprise Im starting to think I may have been hasty...
Old Jun 29, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by stant;[url=tel:35373428
35373428[/url]]I figured I'd bump this thread and see if there are any more data points on cobalt yet.

Prior to just recently there was no way I'd figure most normal ambassador members might get cobalt. then earlier this year I got a hell of a nice surprise and was bumped up for CK on american after a decade as executive platinum, so I got to thinking about marriott...

This month I'll end up the midway point for the year with 65 nights butt in bed, and about 120 qualifying nights thanks to credit card spend. Qualifying spend will be about 50k. I would expect to continue the same trend for the back half of the year. Ambassador for 9 years now iirc, 1100 or so nights under my belt lifetime.

l'll be visiting one of my preferred properties next week. A place where most of the front staff knows me by name. Should I try the old *cough cough putmeinforcobaltplease cough* routine?

ordinarily I'd say that if you have to ask this question, the answer is no, but with my CK surprise Im starting to think I may have been hasty...
[email protected]

🤙🏻🍹
Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by anteater
[email protected]

🤙🏻🍹
I'm guessing that is the way to ensure you DONT get it
SPN Lifer and anteater like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 7:41 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Through all the reports I've seen, Cobalt isn't a magic number like Delta 360 which takes numerous factors into account. It's based on recommendation/invite from a Hotel property management/ownership or Corporate because of your spend there. You could spend $100k yourself and be unknown in corporate or you could be spending 75k at a Ritz a year and management sends a recommendation.

Could I be wrong? Probably, but I stay at Ritz SoBe 4x a year for 3-4 days each time and I'm not hitting whatever it takes for management to recommend me.
anteater likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cubeman
Through all the reports I've seen, Cobalt isn't a magic number like Delta 360 which takes numerous factors into account. It's based on recommendation/invite from a Hotel property management/ownership or Corporate because of your spend there. You could spend $100k yourself and be unknown in corporate or you could be spending 75k at a Ritz a year and management sends a recommendation.

Could I be wrong? Probably, but I stay at Ritz SoBe 4x a year for 3-4 days each time and I'm not hitting whatever it takes for management to recommend me.
12-16 nights? You better book the presidential suite every time
1200GS likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
12-16 nights? You better book the presidential suite every time
Hah, I think they sell that room at 12-13k a night. I spend maybe $10k on my 3-4 day stay lol.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 5:56 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by stant
I figured I'd bump this thread and see if there are any more data points on cobalt yet.

The simple answer to your question is unless you are very good friends with a powerful (not just any) GM within Marriott or a Corportate Director of Marriott then not a chance. You could triple your nights and it wouldnt help. If you are in charge of a large corporate booking policy then again you may have a shot!

One thing worth noting is if you are in a lounge and someone tells you they are cobalt then chances are they are not and they just like to pretend to have the status. Speaking recently to some GM's in Marriott they were laughing at the number of guests they have heard claiming cobalt compared to the actual numbers. To put it into perspective a very good hotel in London maybe gets 2 cobalts a year visit and while yes the hotel makes a big effort in some ways for them actually in other ways they do not need to, there are other people within the corporate structure they have to look after much better!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 9:31 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The first rule of Cobalt is...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.