Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Launching an All-inclusive Platform

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt / SPG

Saw this on Yahoo Finance today

Marriott International, Inc.(NASDAQ: MAR) today announced it is launching an all-inclusive platform to serve this increasingly popular vacation segment. The company also announced that it has signed management contracts with hotel developers who plan to build five new all-inclusive resorts, investing more than $800 million and demonstrating their confidence in Marriott International's scale, loyalty platform and operational expertise. The resorts are expected to open between 2022 and 2025.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/marri...204500045.html
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:36 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
About time
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:44 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Who wants to bet on the ways the hotels will be disappointing Marriott elites in their benefits?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:32 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Adults-only W properties? Take my money.

khabah
Antarius, EuropeanPete and kaizen7 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There are already some Marriott hotels that have all-inclusive type customers, at least in that two or three daily meals and daily drinks may be included in the rate plan provided to some charter package tourists.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Who wants to bet on the ways the hotels will be disappointing Marriott elites in their benefits?
What kind of things would you expect them to consider to do that disappoints Marriott elites? Maybe something like no complimentary (premium) lounge/club access at all-inclusive properties that may have them? Cash surcharges to use points and have as included all that the run-of-the-mill charter tour package customers get at such properties without any surcharge? No room upgrades? Limit point redemption bookings in some way so that that the booked rooms require a cash/point surcharge if there are to be more than 2 occupants per booked room?

I am curious on how they could do it in such a way as to disappoint Marriott elite status card customers.
Toukolou likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are already some Marriott hotels that have all-inclusive type customers, at least in that two or three daily meals and daily drinks may be included in the rate plan provided to some charter package tourists.

What kind of things would you expect them to consider to do that disappoints Marriott elites? Maybe something like no complimentary (premium) lounge/club access at all-inclusive properties that may have them? Cash surcharges to use points and have as included all that the run-of-the-mill charter tour package customers get at such properties without any surcharge? No room upgrades? Limit point redemption bookings in some way so that that the booked rooms require a cash/point surcharge if there are to be more than 2 occupants per booked room?

I am curious on how they could do it in such a way as to disappoint Marriott elite status card customers.
Let’s not give them ideas, there’s a good chap.

You’ve certainly laid out some possibilities - unreasonably high points redemption plus limited on site recognition seems an obvious opportunity to Bonvoy the consumers.
Lizie likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

You’ve certainly laid out some possibilities - unreasonably high points redemption plus limited on site recognition seems an obvious opportunity to Bonvoy the consumers.
I guess I wouldn't expect a lot of extra benefits in an all-inclusive. What kind of "recognition" do you want at an all-inclusive -- front of the line pass for the buffet?

The one benefit that would be beneficial is room upgrades - hopefully both ability to use SNA's and complimentary upgrades if available. I do agree with you that we will probably be disappointed somewhat with the benefits, but I'm hoping this one survives.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Considering Bonvoy properties in Mexico seem to almost consistently cheat on elite benefits, I'm skeptical on any new Marriott developments in Mexico/Central America
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:25 pm

Here's the deal..

If Marriott doesn't roll out a red carpet and fawn over some Elite members while giving them extra freebies some of the posters on here will never be happy. What they seem to want is Marriott not to even sell the best rooms in case they show up and "deserve" one as an upgrade and Marriott to assign a personal representative to walk in front of them shouting "ELITE MEMBER COMING THROUGH CLEAR THE AREA" I assume at an AI they would need a personal waiter to bring them drinks or maybe their own Elite bar that "regular guests" can't touch LOL!)

(Yes I am being sarcastic, but at least some of you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time on the DYKWIA function. I have been top tier Marriott for years, I am not bent out of shape if I don't get an upgrade or a free meal, it's just the way things work. If not getting an upgrade or $5 in freebies is the biggest problem in your life and worthy of lots of drama you should consider yourself blessed!)
andrewstahl and writerguyfl like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:52 pm

It is understandable that people keep demanding things they’re not entitled to because the T&C’s are so difficult that no human could ever know what the benefits should be in all cases without consulting them. Similarly, it’s not a surprise that through a combination of errors and ill-will compliance is poor across the group.

Looking at the model overall, what this probably means for all inclusives is that there is a high likelihood there will be a number of one-off special rules, potentially across multiple areas under which things that people take for granted in a comparably priced Marriott won’t be provided. Hotels will start off ignoring the entire Bonvoy programme altogether meanwhile demanding customers will be yelling at front desk agents demanding things they have no right to demand.

Bonvoy would make a great case study for lawyers learning how to consider the commercial implications of their tweaks. It’s crappy service and customer dissatisfaction designed in from the ground up.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Here's the deal..

If Marriott doesn't roll out a red carpet and fawn over some Elite members while giving them extra freebies some of the posters on here will never be happy. What they seem to want is Marriott not to even sell the best rooms in case they show up and "deserve" one as an upgrade and Marriott to assign a personal representative to walk in front of them shouting "ELITE MEMBER COMING THROUGH CLEAR THE AREA" I assume at an AI they would need a personal waiter to bring them drinks or maybe their own Elite bar that "regular guests" can't touch LOL!)

(Yes I am being sarcastic, but at least some of you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time on the DYKWIA function. I have been top tier Marriott for years, I am not bent out of shape if I don't get an upgrade or a free meal, it's just the way things work. If not getting an upgrade or $5 in freebies is the biggest problem in your life and worthy of lots of drama you should consider yourself blessed!)
I think you miss the point. Its called principal. I have fulfilled the requirements of a certain status, consequently I'm entitled to benefits conferred to that status as per Marriott. Why should any of us settle for less? And if it isn't such a big deal (and even if it is) why shouldn't Marriott properties be required to extend that benefit without question? Why do I need to even have a discussion with FD about it?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:06 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Toukolou
I think you miss the point. Its called principal. I have fulfilled the requirements of a certain status, consequently I'm entitled to benefits conferred to that status as per Marriott. Why should any of us settle for less? And if it isn't such a big deal (and even if it is) why shouldn't Marriott properties be required to extend that benefit without question? Why do I need to even have a discussion with FD about it?
I agree however i'm just curious how all of this will play out..
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Toukolou
Why should any of us settle for less? And if it isn't such a big deal (and even if it is) why shouldn't Marriott properties be required to extend that benefit without question?
Maybe because all-inclusive properties are fundamentally different from "regular" hotels and resorts. When you take out the possibility to make money on things like food, the way an all-inclusive property becomes profitable is in part on the ability to sell upgrades on their rooms. (And alcohol, of course. None of these places would exist without the ability to profit on alcohol.)

I know some people won't care, but lost income from upgrades is a cost borne by the hotel. Marriott Corporate (or any hotel group's corporate office, for that matter) doesn't reimburse the hotel. The reason why resorts and so-called "aspirational" properties get exceptions is because they get so many elite-level guests that they would lose a lot of money giving everyone a free upgrade.

Without the exceptions to the "free" stuff for elite-level frequent guests, I firmly believe that these franchises wouldn't join any hotel group. Since people aren't going to stop going to <insert exotic bucket-list location>, I imagine they'd do just fine as independent resorts. So, the question becomes whether you believe it's better to have some options with fewer benefits or no options at all.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
All inclusive resort similar to Club Med I believe?

I wonder how much the pricing will be?

By bundling all the cost into 1 all in price, hotel pretty much "force" everyone purchase the whole package.
Should have quite nice return although it will be in more predictable ways.

For cost to the hotel for upgrading elites, I believe that is the price hotel have to pay for utilising Bonvoys marketing channel to attract guests.
Some customers might book somewhere else if the said hotel is ... say independent.
Personally i tend to try stick to either Marriott, Accor, or Discovery(Gha) hotels
EuropeanPete and Toukolou like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Remember when some of the old point packages also had an all-inclusive meal option you could add on to a 7 night stay? Those were a good deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.