Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft: If you didn't like what they did with Courtyard, you'll hate Aloft

Old Aug 5, 19, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC

I had stayed at Aloft in Germany, FRA?, and thought it was funky, but it's the EU. I've stayed at a couple of the Aloft's here in the US and I really don't like them. It reminds me of when they took Courtyards and took out the breakfast buffet and put in the Starbucks and the funky lobbys- but taken a few steps further.

It isn't that anything is bad, but in the rooms:
-Things feel very compartmentalized like the rooms are modular and pre-fab.
-The beds are SOFT, you sink into them. I have some co-workers used to firm beds and they had issues with it.
-The rooms feel mostly cheap, but they put a window between the bed area and the shower. This in a 2Q. Just seemed odd and counter to the design philosophy.

Food
The breakfast is all bowls and all funky. Poached eggs and avocado.
The snacks are all non-gluten, free-everything goofy snacks.
The microwave dinners were dim sum,

I guess they are trying to go for the .younger and hipper crowd. If so, they nailed it. This 20 year Lifetime ninja carbonfiber platinum member is going to steer clear.
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:20 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott GFL, Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond,
I suspected as much. The few hip hotels I have stayed in have been hip on the surface and bad quality underneath (and usually served with an indifferent attitude which seems to come with hip hotels). Having said that, I liked what they did with the Courtyard. That breakfast was just disgusting. Never ate it. I much prefer the granola and yogurt. Starbucks coffee is a disappointment as always, but you can't get everything right :-)
lougord99, KRSW and JBord like this.

Last edited by mjack99; Aug 6, 19 at 12:37 am
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:28 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Really NOT my kind of hotel!
Old Aug 6, 19, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I actively sought out the Alofts in the US - nice, new, consistent, a bit hip, and not a CY/FI/RI/SHS/TPS

I do detest CYs though...
sethMCOflyer and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 7:01 am

cheap hotel is cheap.

what were you expecting?
bsdstone, oopsz and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I don't understand any of the OP's complaints.

The rooms are modular, yes - that is how Alofts operate. For the most part, every room is identical except for the type of bed inside it. It is this expectation of a consistent experience that many value because most Alofts exist in smaller areas. For example, I know I will have a dispenser filled with Bliss liquid body wash without having to bother anyone overnight for more than 1 bottle to take a shower. And 2 bottles of water in every room (if there ever haven't been, or I've needed more, every Aloft always implores me to take a few extra from their chargeable cooler, at no charge).

I've never noticed their beds to be anything but comfortable. I am more comfortable in their beds than in a CY bed, but this depends on everything from personal preference to age of mattress. If a bed feels too soft, I'll try to ascertain the age of the mattress by pulling back the sheets and just seeing how old it looks. If its not workable, as long as its nicely raised with the FD, they always do their best to accommodate.

WRT their food, I don't stay at Aloft or CY for quality food. If I get free breakfast, I'll take it and won't complain. I prefer individually-made breakfasts to buffets anyways, from a portion-control and freshness as well as sanitary perspective. Alofts also usually have a bar when CYs don't.

I don't care for the fact that most Alofts don't have suites and if they do, they rarely upgrade to them. CYs usually have suites and have no issues upgrading to them. So CY wins there.

I just don't get the complaints of the OP...all of what you've complained about is within the brand standard. If you want a more "traditional" experience try a FS Marriott. But, CY and Alofts are not fancy hotels by any means, but clean, consistent properties. I know what to expect when I go into either brand, and am rarely disappointed.
Old Aug 6, 19, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
I actively sought out the Alofts in the US - nice, new, consistent, a bit hip, and not a CY/FI/RI/SHS/TPS

You rank Aloft over SHS? I'd take a CY over Aloft, but at least I can understand that preference difference. The newer SHS, especially, are not bad at all. Your description of Aloft is how I'd probably describe SHS, although the "hip" part is always questionable in chain hotels. What about Four Points, where does that rank for you?

I guess it all does come down to personal preference.
Old Aug 6, 19, 7:41 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by PushingTin View Post
I guess they are trying to go for the .younger and hipper crowd. If so, they nailed it.
They are. Not every brand is going to appeal to everyone. There are other brands in the Marriott portfolio that will be more to your liking.
nequine likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 7:45 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN
Iíve stayed at Maybe 4-5 alofts now. A fair split between Europe and South America.

I like them all. But then again I know they wouldnít be too high up the priority for my dad.

So they target a different market segment. Nothing new?

Itís the same that I know my parents would feel much more comfortable and Happy at a JW Marriott than a W hotel whereas I would choose the opposite.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 7:50 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post

Agreed. While Aloft certainly isn't my favorite place to say, I still prefer it to the old blahhh CY/FI/RI/SHS/TPS properties. Never been a fan of these SS hotels and I never will be. The only one that doesn't really feel downmarket is AC to be honest but there's just not many of them and in most cases there are FS options where there are ACs.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
You rank Aloft over SHS? I'd take a CY over Aloft, but at least I can understand that preference difference. The newer SHS, especially, are not bad at all. Your description of Aloft is how I'd probably describe SHS, although the "hip" part is always questionable in chain hotels. What about Four Points, where does that rank for you?

I guess it all does come down to personal preference.
I'd go aloft above a SHS. While the newer SHS properties are quite nice, there are some older ones that leave much to be desired - the alofts are more consistent. 4P in the US are like Sheratons in the US, only worse. Definitely the worst brand in the entire portfolio. (although outside the US, there are some nice 4P)
Old Aug 6, 19, 8:19 am
Moderator, Amtrak

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
If you think Aloft is bad you should try a Moxy.
cawhite and nequine like this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Life Plat
At least to me, the Aloft rooms seem less "hip" and more "trying too hard to be hip" -- what you get if a room full of middle-aged managers are trying to come up with something they think millennials will find hip. Which I expect is what happened.

That plus the very cheap fittings and furnishings to me give the rooms the feel of a freshman dorm. I don't think at any age I've wanted a hotel to make me reminisce about "my life when I was sharing a room with a random stranger and living off ramen".
cawhite, KRSW, ExArkie and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The austere aesthetic is not for everyone. The things that bugged me about my one and probably only Aloft stay was the music playing in the hallways. It didn't lull me to sleep
Old Aug 6, 19, 8:51 am

Every time one of these threads comes up (Cf basically any moxy thread) it's the same thing, people are mad and shocked that Marriott would have the audacity to market a product to someone other than themselves.
dayone, oopsz, Statman and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread