Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The hotel's reaction to the forgotten thing in the room

The hotel's reaction to the forgotten thing in the room

Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Question The hotel's reaction to the forgotten thing in the room

Recently, I forgot a smartwatch charger at a hotel. What would be the appropriate 5* hotel response? I expected them to send it to me by mail without any hassle, but they offered me only the option of keeping it until the next arrival (which is not expected in the near future) or delivery by courier which I should organize by myself and whose price exceeds the price of the charger.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
why should the hotel bear the cost of the courier?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I certainly wouldn’t expect them to shell out $50 shipping for a $30 item. Any offer of subsidized, or free return shipping on a forgotten item is greatly appreciated, and never expected.

Being pushy about it is not cool.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:51 am
tyn

So many items are forgotten in hotel rooms daily. Seems to me unrealistic to expect the hotel to ship them at their cost.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:02 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by HRSPGPutnik
Recently, I forgot a smartwatch charger at a hotel. What would be the appropriate 5* hotel response? I expected them to send it to me by mail without any hassle, but they offered me only the option of keeping it until the next arrival (which is not expected in the near future) or delivery by courier which I should organize by myself and whose price exceeds the price of the charger.
I stayed in Dubai two years ago between the Grosvenor House over the weekend and the Le Méridien Dubai by the airport for work. When I checked in to the Le Méridien, I realized I had forgotten one of my favorite shirts at the GH and called them to see if they retrieved it. They called back to say they did, and offered to send it to the Le Méridien in their hotel car at the price of one of their airport transfers. Rather than get flabbergasted at whether or not this was an 'appropriate 5* hotel response', I used my metro card to get to Dubai Marina, walked the ten minutes to the hotel, got my shirt back myself and left. End of story.

If life has taught me one thing, it's that one shouldn't expect anything from anyone no matter the circumstance. If you can replace your charger yourself, do it and don't let it bother you for a second.

khabah
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Realistic expectation is them shipping it at your cost plus a fee for admin/handling
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
When I left a phone charger at the Grand Hyatt Jakarta, I was very happy that they kept it for me until I was able to pick it up my next time in town.
I did not expect anything more.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:43 am

Why on earth should the hotel bear the cost of the courier? Are you serious?
TerryK, moondog, fmastr and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, the problem is requiring you to organize the shipping yourself. Does this mean that you would need to hire someone local to go to the hotel and put the thing in suitable packaging rather than having some hotel staff member take care of such details? People leave stuff behind all the time in hotel rooms and the hotel should have a process to efficiently sent the items, although it's not unreasonable to expect the guest to pay FedEx or whatever fees, ideally using the hotel's account with a good discount attached.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
In the OP's defense, the few times I've left an item at a hotel then called to inquire (and this is even at run-of-the-mill Marriotts), the hotels have located the items and then offered to ship them to me free of charge. Now I *never*, even though it has happened repeatedly, expect that treatment (maybe because I feel like a bonehead for leaving things behind), but perhaps the OP has had similar experiences in the past that led him to expect it again. So while I think we're right to scold that sense of entitlement, we probably don't have to pile on TOO much...
HRSPGPutnik likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Recently, I forgot a smartwatch charger at a hotel. What would be the appropriate 5* hotel response?
You pay for shipping.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Poster

No I did not expect them to cover the costs, I expected them to organize the delivery.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:22 am

I’m fairly sure if you just email back with a fedex or ups number, they can probably ship it for you. Seems like “organize a courier” can be interpreted in different ways.
fmastr, seat38a, JBord and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I've left things in my room before internationally. Unfortunately, it's usually cheaper to replace than to ship internationally.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me, the problem is requiring you to organize the shipping yourself. Does this mean that you would need to hire someone local to go to the hotel and put the thing in suitable packaging rather than having some hotel staff member take care of such details? People leave stuff behind all the time in hotel rooms and the hotel should have a process to efficiently sent the items, although it's not unreasonable to expect the guest to pay FedEx or whatever fees, ideally using the hotel's account with a good discount attached.
Exactly what I meant!
I didn't expect them to cover the cost, but I thought the hotel would do its best to arrange delivery. All they were willing to do was hand over the charger to the delivery man if I arranged a pickup at their location. That bothered me.

But it's not worth my time anymore. I will buy a new charger tomorrow and I will no longer use the services of that hotel in the future. Thanks everyone for the comments.
altabello, pilot007 and jtc246 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.