Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The hotel's reaction to the forgotten thing in the room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The hotel's reaction to the forgotten thing in the room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by CPRich
As I read the responses, I wondered where all the "you're crazy if you think they should pay for it" responses were from, and had to re-read to see if I missed "and it should cost me nothing".

Nope.
It certainly wasn’t clear. “Send it to me in the mail, with no hassle” is certainly not, “ship it to me and I’ll pay the cost”.

Like many threads, the lack of details, how far away the property was, certainly contributed to any confusion there was.
seat38a likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jay555
A premier inn once sent me my phone and didn’t charge me for it when I’d left it charging in the room. And it’s not like there is much room to absorb such costs in a low cost place.
Yes, it is funny that people think a 5* hotel means they are very nice. Somewhat like how people think rich people are very nice. When everybody knows poor are more charitable (in comparison to how much money they have).
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Yes, it is funny that people think a 5* hotel means they are very nice. Somewhat like how people think rich people are very nice. When everybody knows poor are more charitable (in comparison to how much money they have).
I don’t think anyone is supposing that a 5* is nicer, but that part of what you are paying more for is better service.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I don’t think anyone is supposing that a 5* is nicer, but that part of what you are paying more for is better service.
Yes, but as we all know, you don't actually mean service. You mean "caring". And as we all know those who care for you most aren't doing it for the money.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I’m pretty sure I do mean service But anyways, let’s agree to disagree on what I mean and move on.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:03 am

But "organise the delivery" would involve TIME and effort on the part of someone at the hotel. Isn't there automatically a cost (to the hotel) of that? Mentioning cheaper options involving using the local "regular mail" system to send the item shows a clear expectation that the hotel staff would package, pay for, and post the item surely? What am I missing here?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me, the problem is requiring you to organize the shipping yourself. Does this mean that you would need to hire someone local to go to the hotel and put the thing in suitable packaging rather than having some hotel staff member take care of such details? People leave stuff behind all the time in hotel rooms and the hotel should have a process to efficiently sent the items, although it's not unreasonable to expect the guest to pay FedEx or whatever fees, ideally using the hotel's account with a good discount attached.
No...no discount. Full price plus a handling fee...usually 25%.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Recently stayed at a Residence Inn on the west side of Cleveland for a wedding (on points). Girlfriend left a pair of earrings and the hotel mailed them (at thier cost) as a courtesy without request after my girlfriend called and asked them to hold them for a family friend. Problably cost them $20, but I will surely stay there multiple times in the future while coming home to see family.

In the OP's case, it cost the hotel nothing to lose a customer (and possibly other's from hearing his story). In my case is COST the hotel $20 + time and effort to win a customers loyalty. Today there's so many hotel brands even just within Marriott. It would seem like selling 1 more room, a few weeks a year would be worth the investment (unless of course they typically sell out every night - then no need to win anyone's loyalty).
cy1978hk and HRSPGPutnik like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by scracer14
Recently stayed at a Residence Inn on the west side of Cleveland for a wedding (on points). Girlfriend left a pair of earrings and the hotel mailed them (at thier cost) as a courtesy without request after my girlfriend called and asked them to hold them for a family friend. Problably cost them $20, but I will surely stay there multiple times in the future while coming home to see family.

In the OP's case, it cost the hotel nothing to lose a customer (and possibly other's from hearing his story). In my case is COST the hotel $20 + time and effort to win a customers loyalty. Today there's so many hotel brands even just within Marriott. It would seem like selling 1 more room, a few weeks a year would be worth the investment (unless of course they typically sell out every night - then no need to win anyone's loyalty).
I have a feeling, it depends on the item left behind. If the hotel ate the cost of every sweater, phone charger or other trivial stuff then it would add up quickly. Something like a ring or earrings I have a feeling they make an exception. Just my theory.
Newman, margarita girl and EdofFX like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Forgotten chargers is how hotels accumulate boxes of assorted chargers that they can lend to guests who forgot theirs elsewhere.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:54 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Perhaps I am alone in this, but in all my years of travel I have NEVER left any single item back at a hotel. I guess I am too anal and organized and keep things where I can pack them up properly.

I can say I would never even think of paying to ship a charger internationally.... I could probably buy a few for what the shipping cost would be to get the left behind one back to me.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:28 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I left an item at Marriott Sky City Hong Kong. They recovered the item & offered to ship at my cost. Perfectly reasonable. And thats what I did. Simple.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
I left an item at Marriott Sky City Hong Kong. They recovered the item & offered to ship at my cost. Perfectly reasonable. And thats what I did. Simple.
How did they organize the shipping? They charged you card or?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:52 am

I think the courier thing is due to legal reason. What if it is a laptop charger but packed full of explosive or drug? The hotel probably didn't want to take the blame for initiated the shipment. Having said that, I have left items behind a few times and all of them were shipped back to me on the hotel's. I offered to pay but they don't need it.
HRSPGPutnik likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by wharvey
Perhaps I am alone in this, but in all my years of travel I have NEVER left any single item back at a hotel.
You are alone in this

To add a datapoint to this thread now that it's reawakened, the St Regis Bangkok referred me to their business center who handles such requests, and they offered me several quotes for shipping speed and cost. I think they added a small handling surcharge. That's the level of service I would generally expect from a top tier property.

Asking a guest to send someone to put an item in a box or envelope seems ludicrous to me -- it's a few minutes of effort for the hotel vs a huge hassle for someone to arrange remotely in an unfamiliar city, with an unfamiliar language.
NoY and HRSPGPutnik like this.

Last edited by dtremit; Aug 8, 2019 at 8:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.