Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The hotel's reaction to the forgotten thing in the room

The hotel's reaction to the forgotten thing in the room

Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by HRSPGPutnik
But it's not worth my time anymore. I will buy a new charger tomorrow and I will no longer use the services of that hotel in the future. Thanks everyone for the comments.
I think an easier solution is to doublecheck for lost items before leaving the hotel.

I dont think you mentioned where the property is located. Across town, in another country, or far, far, away. Blaming the hotel seems a bit much.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
In the OP's defense, the few times I've left an item at a hotel then called to inquire (and this is even at run-of-the-mill Marriotts), the hotels have located the items and then offered to ship them to me free of charge. Now I *never*, even though it has happened repeatedly, expect that treatment (maybe because I feel like a bonehead for leaving things behind), but perhaps the OP has had similar experiences in the past that led him to expect it again. So while I think we're right to scold that sense of entitlement, we probably don't have to pile on TOO much...
Yes, it happend to me once before and the hotel delivered the item to me without asking. To be honest, I realized that I left the item when it came to my home address. And it was not 5* hotel.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On the one hand, OP says that he expected to pay, but on the other hand, he acknowledges that the delivery will cost more than the charger, so not worth it.

No idea where the property or OP are located, but my reading is that the use of "organize" and "courier" suggests one of the overnight services such as Fedex or UPS. In both instances, supplying an account number and a type of service is all that is contemplated. Both services arrange pickups as well. If you don't have an account, you can put the cost on a CC and the courier arrives with a prepaid label.

I don't take it as poor service in the least. I much prefer this route to providing a CC to the property (hopefully it has not stored the one I used for the stay) and letting it choose the overnight service and the speed of delivery.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
On the one hand, OP says that he expected to pay, but on the other hand, he acknowledges that the delivery will cost more than the charger, so not worth it.

No idea where the property or OP are located, but my reading is that the use of "organize" and "courier" suggests one of the overnight services such as Fedex or UPS. In both instances, supplying an account number and a type of service is all that is contemplated. Both services arrange pickups as well. If you don't have an account, you can put the cost on a CC and the courier arrives with a prepaid label.

I don't take it as poor service in the least. I much prefer this route to providing a CC to the property (hopefully it has not stored the one I used for the stay) and letting it choose the overnight service and the speed of delivery.
I will explain. Me and the hotel are not in the same country, so it would be international delivery (inside EU). Obviously, I had wrong expectations thinking that the hotel should offer delivery with a price proposal, which then I may or may not agree to.

After they told me that delivery was only possible if I organized it myself using DHL or FEDEX I realized it is econimically unreasonable. But there are similar local services or regular mail which are much cheaper (10-15 EUR comparing to 70 EUR (DHL) or 110 EUR (FEDEX)), but I could not use them because of the language (and to hotel it should not be any problem).

But there it is - the lesson has been learned, and next time I'll make sure I don't have anything left.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
In defense of the hotel, when I have left things there in the US, I will always send them a label to ship it to me. Many of us have work accounts with FedEx/UPS that have much better discounts than a hotel could negotiate. So, I'm assuming the hotel is used to that.
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Yes, it happend to me once before and the hotel delivered the item to me without asking. ... And it was not 5* hotel.
In my experience, the more "stars" the hotel has, the less likely they will offer to help in these situations. Those hotels tend to have more arrogant attitudes.
strickerj and Nazdoom like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Mandalay Bay (which is a Las Vegas 4* hotel) once shipped my forgotten prescription glasses to me. I paid the UPS fees, but it wasn't "arrange a courier" it was about $10. I see that you were talking international so maybe that's part of the hesitation
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
In defense of the hotel, when I have left things there in the US, I will always send them a label to ship it to me. Many of us have work accounts with FedEx/UPS that have much better discounts than a hotel could negotiate. So, I'm assuming the hotel is used to that.
Thanks a lot - it's getting clearer to me now. My job involves a lot of travel, but virtually no shipping, so I don't have a Fedex / DHL account. I almost never had to arrange delivery by myself so far, if something was coming to me, the sender would always take care of it. We learn while we are alive.
Now I see that I had unrealistic expectations, guided by previous experience.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:52 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Sometimes when you don't get the response you want ( operator, frontdesk, bellboy, etc. etc. ) from a whatever *, shouldn't you simply ask directly and nicely for an alternative if what is offered doesn't work for you?

I'm sure if you had said " I won't be back for a while can you possible ship?" They'd either say let me check, or any of a few alternatives..... likely find a manager who'd either break down and do it on their time/dime, or most likely your dime and their time!
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by chipmaster
I'm sure if you had said " I won't be back for a while can you possible ship?" They'd either say let me check, or any of a few alternatives.....
The OP is pretty clear on what was offered.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You're right. I talked to them on the phone and what I described earlier was the only option they agreed to, which they further confirmed via e-mail.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This can be chalked up to a communications issue. "Organize a courier" means go online and type in some information. The fact that the item is worth less than the shipping fee is an entirely different matter and presumably one would abandon the item whether the property agreed to ship and be reimbursed or one "organized a courier."
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Marriott in Paris boxed up what I left behind and sent it to me, charging my credit card for their discounted UPS rate. About $30 for a 2-3 lb 10x10x6" box. That's about what I would expect.

No I did not expect them to cover the costs, I expected them to organize the delivery.
As I read the responses, I wondered where all the "you're crazy if you think they should pay for it" responses were from, and had to re-read to see if I missed "and it should cost me nothing".

Nope.
deeruck likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:16 pm

A premier inn once sent me my phone and didnt charge me for it when Id left it charging in the room. And its not like there is much room to absorb such costs in a low cost place.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Actually, the fact that so many people here came to the conclusion that the OP was asking for free shipping means it wasn't pretty clear.
windscar likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.