The room with balcony which can not be used

Old Aug 4, 19, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Question The room with balcony which can not be used

Few days ago, I was at one property in Spain and my suite has an adorable little balcony which was locked, and the staff told me that Marriott security policy do not let the guests to use the balcony and it has to stay locked. I was in similar properties across Europe with balconies and it was the first time that usage of balcony is not permitted. Is it something new or they explained me it in wrong way?
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:12 pm

Seems unusual. But maybe Marriott determined that the balcony was structurally unsafe and told the hotel to lock it off. Just a guess.
HardToConcentrate likes this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
Seems unusual. But maybe Marriott determined that the balcony was structurally unsafe and told the hotel to lock it off. Just a guess.
This wouldn't surprise me. Balcony collapses have become a real problem and standards have been improving a lot.
Or Michael Jackson ruined it for everyone.
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
I thought so, but the receptionist assured me that it was Marriott's general policy to ban the use of balconies for the safety of guests. Their presentation of the problem could be seen as black humor, where Marriott fears his guests are suicidal
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

There is a picture of these balconies:

Old Aug 4, 19, 4:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by HRSPGPutnik View Post
Few days ago, I was at one property in Spain and my suite has an adorable little balcony which was locked, and the staff told me that Marriott security policy do not let the guests to use the balcony and it has to stay locked. I was in similar properties across Europe with balconies and it was the first time that usage of balcony is not permitted. Is it something new or they explained me it in wrong way?
Circulo Gran Via?

I had a great suite with a balcony but it was all locked off.

And ... the balcony in Mallorca was definitely open!
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
and the staff told me that Marriott security policy do not let the guests to use the balcony and it has to stay locked.
This seems like yet another case of a hotel blaming Marriott corporate headquarters for a local, hotel-imposed policy that a guest might not like.
TerryK, cawhite, C17PSGR and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
Circulo Gran Via?

I had a great suite with a balcony but it was all locked off.

And ... the balcony in Mallorca was definitely open!
No, it was Eugenia de Montijo in Toledo. I was also in Circulo Gran Via day after, but it was so hot in Madrid that I did not wanted to let the heat in and have not tried if the balcony can be opened or not
jburns513 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:31 pm
glg

Originally Posted by Horace View Post
This seems like yet another case of a hotel blaming Marriott corporate headquarters for a local, hotel-imposed policy that a guest might not like.
Agreed. I've absolutely used the balconies at the CY Jersey City. They're not terribly useful or have a great view (view west to JC, not east to NYC), but they were open.
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Could it be something local for Autograph Collection in Spain as we have found out two properties (for now) of this chain in Spain which forbid the use of balcony?
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
I thought so, but the receptionist assured me that it was Marriott's general policy to ban the use of balconies for the safety of guests.
Yeah, that's not true. Just had one recently.
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Could it be something local for Autograph Collection in Spain as we have found out two properties (for now) of this chain in Spain which forbid the use of balcony?
Unlikely, although it is possible that both properties have the same owner or management company. I think it might be just because these are decorative balconies. I can think of other properties in Spain where I've used the balcony.
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JWM Marquis at Dubai also locked the balcony of our room despite it is a real balcony in good size. I am not sure why they even bothered to build a few balcony rooms in this huge property when the balcony is not meant to be used.
Old Aug 4, 19, 6:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Could be either local hotel regulations, some form of owner policy or just the hotel being annoying. It’s relatively common in many cases to lock access to windows when there’s a chance people could jump out.

You’d think just making the hotels a bit more pleasant would be a better idea.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Hotel Bristol in Warsaw also locks their balconies. We had a great suite overlooking the square in front of the hotel. I was traveling with 2 girlfriends. We unlocked them anyhow.

Search this Thread