Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotels asking for your company's name

Hotels asking for your company's name

Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Can the original poster tell us which properties it involves?

the reservation system in use at Residence Inn, Towneplace, Fairfield Inn, Etc has a spot for the information they are asking. Who knows why it's there but I think it's unlikely to relate to corporate rate verification since this properties rarely ask me to verify my eligibility for the corporate rate I'm using.
Courtyard West Des Moines
AC Bellevue

Both stays were booked through our corporate portal.

Since some people were talking about using corporate rates for leisure stays: I rarely stay at Marriott properties for personal travel, I prefer boutique hotels. If I were to stay at a Marriott property for personal travel, I'd be using points. Just wanted to clarify that
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
I work by myself so no issues at all
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TomMM
Some properties I've stayed at are located in areas that have a tourism room tax that doesn't apply if you are on business and the hotel will ask for your company name to not assess the tax.
Was just gonna post something along those lines. I haven't run into that in the US. But around the world, I've occasionally seen a tax which is only imposed on tourists, not business travellers.

Of course, you need not provide details on your business/employer, but if you don't, the hotel may be required to collect the tourism tax.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by TBD
If you are actually traveling for business, that's an easy way to get your rate changed back to BAR.
Are you explicitly not allowed to use a corporate rate when traveling for leisure? I always figured it was fine, or a good thing -- I might choose a property at which I have a corporate rate that I would not have chosen otherwise, and it helps the company by increasing the productivity of the corporate rate.

I am responsible for corporate rates at my employer, and I encourage travelers to use them when staying personally. It's a small perk for employees.

Perhaps rate agreements vary on this point. None of mine mention that they are only to be used for business purposes (much less must be paid by corporate card or direct-billed), though these are small one-off agreements. I don't know how the large corporate travel agency portals work. (Government rates might be a different story.)
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by speed.skater
... I've occasionally seen a tax which is only imposed on tourists, not business travellers.
The flip side of that is that in some countries it might be harder to get in if you're on business.

Originally Posted by mecabq
... and it helps the company by increasing the productivity of the corporate rate....
And the increased nights/revenue for the hotel undoubtedly help the company in negotiations for next year's rate.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing here. Hotel chains gather useful data about their customer base by asking questions such as this. If you don't want to answer, just don't answer or move the conversation along by saying that you don't answer questions such as that.

You will find that the FD simply moves on.

If the property wanted to verify your rate eligibility, this would all be asked and handled a lot differently. It goes without saying that if you choose to take advantage of a rate based on some feature, e.g. employment it is certainly within bounds for the property to verify your eligibility, but that isn't what is happening here.

No different than survey takers at malls, airports, and other places who ask whether you are willing to answer some questions. Do it if you want and don't if you don't want.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mecabq
Are you explicitly not allowed to use a corporate rate when traveling for leisure?
It depends on the rate and company policy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.