Hotels asking for your company's name

Old Aug 3, 19, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dimramon View Post
Unless I have a business card to show, I typically don't want to discuss my employer's name when other people are nearby.
Well then just show the business card! What stops you from doing that.
Old Aug 3, 19, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Yesterday's conversation was as follows:
Front desk: "Are you here for business or pleasure?"
Me: "Business"
Front Desk: "Who do you work for?"
I respond after a brief hesitation and she types something in the computer.
Why not just say that you're traveling for personal; reasons?
Old Aug 3, 19, 8:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
As other folks noted, this is almost certainly something done by the individual hotel and not Marriott Corporate. It's merely the Sales Department prospecting for business. Asking a simple question is not brutish. Not even close.

As to benefits, if I were able help my company save money, I'd certainly do it. Not everything in the world has to directly benefit me. To be clear, we're talking about doing something that takes less than 30 seconds and requires zero effort.
Reports of this happening are remarkably consistent in particular brands within the Marriott Group, so I’m presuming this is MARSHA functionality which a proportion of in-brand hotels have turned on. I don’t think it’s realistic to say it’s completely independent of Marriott - has anyone had these questions at other hotels?

Of course, if you want to answer then go ahead - most of the time I would. I do think that this kind of “data grab” is unacceptable in the 21st century (I.e. we’re going to ask for your data in a way which makes it sound compulsory and we’re not going to tell you why or what we’re going to do with it), but again I live in Europe where data privacy and management are somewhat better established than in the metaphorical Wild West of the US just now
Old Aug 3, 19, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
I don't carry business cards, nor do I really have any these days.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
I might start doing that.

Last edited by dimramon; Aug 3, 19 at 8:31 pm
Old Aug 3, 19, 8:39 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I am glad Marriott is tracking down the abuse of corporate rates! Perfectly legitimate questions when traveling on corp rates!
Sort of? Marriott already restricts corporate bookings on their website. The agent at the desk can see if the booking came through a corporate travel agency (e.g. Concur/GetThere/AmEx). So, they should already have some reasonable amount of comfort that the person is using a rate legitimately. Except, of course, for people using corporate programs for leisure travel, which brings us to ...
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
If you are actually traveling for business, that's an easy way to get your rate changed back to BAR.
Old Aug 3, 19, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Can the original poster tell us which properties it involves?

the reservation system in use at Residence Inn, Towneplace, Fairfield Inn, Etc has a spot for the information they are asking. Who knows why it's there but I think it's unlikely to relate to corporate rate verification since this properties rarely ask me to verify my eligibility for the corporate rate I'm using.

I guess someone came up with this idea as a way to allow hotels to get a better understanding of why their guests were staying in a particular property so they would better be able to market.

you'll see lots of threads on this issue over the years.
Old Aug 3, 19, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If someone isn't using a corporate rate, the identity of the employer is none of anyone's business.

BTW I've noticed that the Hertz website tends to give *higher* rates if one checks that the purpose of the trip is business.
Old Aug 3, 19, 9:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
What is this inexplicable instinct to promptly answer every question you are asked by anyone who happens to ask or feel guilty if you don't? (Note: rhetorical question so no need to answer.)

My reaction is to a front desk person asking irrelevant questions is to pleasantly stare at them without responding and let the awkward silence ensue. Eventually they get the point and I will say, "I will take my room keys if they are ready. Thank-you."
richarddd, EuropeanPete and markko like this.
Old Aug 3, 19, 9:37 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Over the past month or two, I've been asked twice who I work for, and once whether I am at my location for "business or pleasure". Once in the Midwest, and once on the West Coast. I am trying to figure out if this is a weird coincidence, or a new thing. FWIW, I was traveling on a corporate rate for business on both occasions.
Unless I have a business card to show, I typically don't want to discuss my employer's name when other people are nearby.

Often get asked to proof corporate rate eligibility on a first stay at a hotel, but not on subsequent stays, as hotels tend to note internally on a preference screen the check is now done for that individual. Maybe more widespread regards such check if you get a bigger corp discount then the standard 15% Gold rate discount,. Marriott checkin desks seem especially keen followed by Hilton and then IHG in that order in my personal experience.

I even book corp even on the day when sometimes costlier than some other std rate because i am required to, no doubt due to yearly target of nnnnn rooms at our corp rate.

Strictly speaking hotels need not accept a printed business card (pic like mine or text only otherwise), as you can fake those for pennies. Usually hotel want/like to see my company userid/site-pass. Contractors on temp work asignments often won't have a company-id, but are given company headed letters on request.

If you don't want to (or can't prove) eligibility, hotel is entitled to charge the on the day of checkin rate.
Old Aug 3, 19, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Some properties I've stayed at are located in areas that have a tourism room tax that doesn't apply if you are on business and the hotel will ask for your company name to not assess the tax. Frankfurt is one example.
Old Aug 3, 19, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Not every company issues business cards.
Old Aug 3, 19, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If someone isn't using a corporate rate, the identity of the employer is none of anyone's business.
Cool story bro. OP said he was on Corp rates. Honestly I have been astonished at how infrequently I am asked to validate negotiated rates, especially when I can see the differential in my system between said rates and rack. During a sellout it can be massive. If occupancy rates continue to stay as high as they have been, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot more scrutiny of Corp rates.

As to the OP, aside from rate validation, other reason could include simple manual-phishing of marketing data, fields in a CRM system, a really poor attempt to make small talk, or a property that has several major groups staying for an event (Company X is having a conference and people in the group get info pamphlets, etc).
Old Aug 3, 19, 12:34 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
As others mentioned if I'm staying on standard no-discount I/you can choose to do what you are comfortable. I'm not one to be a privacy phobia so I'd offer personal/leisure. If I'm on business I'm most certainly using the preferential corporate rate and I've seen the requirements they are free to ask for badge, card or validate email.

But have discovered as well that as an elite never get asked anymore, sometimes due to availability I move to same brand 20-30' and 10 miles further but not in my lcompany's local range so no preferential rate, use my ex employer's rate, never get asked.

Last edited by chipmaster; Aug 3, 19 at 3:47 pm
Old Aug 3, 19, 2:28 pm

I am glad Marriott is tracking down the abuse of corporate rates! Perfectly legitimate questions when traveling on corp rates!
this is absolutely not what is happening.
Old Aug 3, 19, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Tell the nosy desk agent that your company name is Secret Shopper, Inc.
margarita girl likes this.

Search this Thread