Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Do you understand how many points you should be getting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you understand how many points you should be getting?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by dimramon
Really? I mentioned missing points to Marriott on numerous occasions and never got it solved.
Most of these issues were related to last year, when my status wasn't even showing correctly (was showing as a general member instead of Ambassador).
Yes, really. I email Marriott corporate directly with the folio whenever it’s incorrect. They correct it within 24 hours and usually give more points. I never call customer service because they will require a copy of the folio anyway so I just go straight to the people who are able to fix it. And they do. Every time.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ftrichard

Definitely the detail is on the iOS app. Can’t speak for Android but the OS was not mentioned as a criteria for response. I get the breakdown of the base, elite, and bonus points so easy to reverse engineer and check if correct. So it was exactly what the OP was talking about.
That feature was available on Android at one point but seems to be DOA with the latest release.

James
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
That feature was available on Android at one point but seems to be DOA with the latest release.

James
On the My Reservations section of the Android app I can click on Past, and then for the stay in question, I can click on Details. This currently gives me the point breakdown. It doesn't show up on the Account Activity in My Account. Anyone else able to get there on Android?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:15 am

Curious, does currency come into play at all with respect to points? For example, my Canadian stays all earn points based on the Canadian dollar value of my stay (I live in Canada). My US stays all earn points based on the USD value of my stay. So, if I stay at a Marriot with a different currency than CAD/USD, how does that post?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Toukolou
Curious, does currency come into play at all with respect to points? For example, my Canadian stays all earn points based on the Canadian dollar value of my stay (I live in Canada). My US stays all earn points based on the USD value of my stay. So, if I stay at a Marriot with a different currency than CAD/USD, how does that post?
All by the US$ value. YMMV but according to the T&Cs it’s all by the US$ value of the room minus taxes and service etc.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:31 am

Really? Because I know my Canadian stays all post at the CAD value of my spend.

I tried posting a screenshot of past activity but it isn't uploading for some reason.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:14 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Whats the email for marriot corporate ?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

I tried posting a screenshot of past activity but it isn't uploading for some reason.
Then you would be unique. For everyone else, the spend is converted to USD before the points are calculated.

To post a screenshot, click on Manage Attachments and paste your screenshot in the URL window. (You might also need a certain number of posts to do attachments.)
Toukolou likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
I got 1525 base points for a $99 stay in Acapulco
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Very easy to check. The base points at 10x your spend minus taxes and service charges in US$
If it's all so easy to check, how come we've got so far into this thread without anyone pointing out that $99 shouldn't earn as many as 1525 base points ?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Then you would be unique. For everyone else, the spend is converted to USD before the points are calculated.

To post a screenshot, click on Manage Attachments and paste your screenshot in the URL window. (You might also need a certain number of posts to do attachments.)
What margaritagirl said Saying that, it does seem like some of their loaded FX rates might be entirely wrong, which might be one reason why those of us “internationals” who stay at properties not billing in USD seem to have a lot more problems than people who stay “domestic”. Ultimately as guests it’s impossible for us to back it out, as we can never tell if points are wrong because of the source amount or the FX rate applied.
Toukolou likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
If it's all so easy to check, how come we've got so far into this thread without anyone pointing out that $99 shouldn't earn as many as 1525 base points ?
Well, you’ve just pointed that out. But that was the OP’s point.

Checking, which, as I say, is very easy, trivial indeed, results in one of two outcomes: correct or incorrect. Your example is incorrect. Anyone can see that. It doesn’t need explaining. It’s simply incorrect. Although we don’t have all the information any other potential spend that contributed to the figure. Let’s assume that it is indeed incorrect.

The OP has a choice at this point. Contact corporate and have it fixed to the correct, lower, figure or be happy that they got more points than they should have. Generally, people only contact corporate to fix posts when they are lower than expected for obvious reasons.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Dollars to points is easy. The thing I'm often not clear about is how my base spend is calculated, as IME properties vary considerably in what they count. Somewhat paradoxically, domestic US properties, which tend to provide lesser elite benefits, often are much more generous in calculating base spend.
OMG not this again.
ftrichard likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
Honestly for me it is not straight forward to understand how many points I should get:
I stay usually in non USD countries
I have extra charges on the bills (restaurant, SPA, room service, ...) and I don't think it is consistent.

as per T&C 2.1.b.B
"B. Food and beverages (excluding alcoholic beverages where prohibited by law) and may exclude charges incurred at outlets that are not managed or operated by the Participating Property;"
How do I know in advance if the outlet is not managed or operated by the Participating Property?
Are there legislation which authorize to sell alcoholic beverages, but prohibit to accrue points for buying them?
which Exchange Rate should be used?
I notice that SPA is not eligible for points
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Gringuito
I don't think it is consistent
It's not.
I notice that SPA is not eligible for points
Spa is expressly supposed to earn in Asia-Pacific. Marriott Bonvoy Asia Spa I've found properties pretty consistently ignore this though and you have to complain to get the points. Also, I've pretty consistently gotten points at for spa at US Marriott legacy properties.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Are there legislation which authorize to sell alcoholic beverages, but prohibit to accrue points for buying them?
(
Hawaii does not allow you to earn points on alcoholic beverages. I believe there are others, but can't name them. There's a thread in the old SPG forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.