Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Do you understand how many points you should be getting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,

One thing I hate about the app is that there’s no easy way to check if the correct amount of points are posting.

For example I got 1525 base points for a $99 stay in Acapulco but in Portugal I got 2936 for two rooms of three nights at $115.

That clearly is wrong! One room must not have posted?

But there’s no easy way to check it!!

If I got 1525 base for pretty much $100 even then for a stay of almost $700 before tax I should have at least 9,000 base...

Its all very confusing. Anyone have a good way of checking?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Very easy to check. The base points at 10x your spend minus taxes and service charges in US$. You can usually see this easily on the receipt/folio and if you've not paid in US$ then pop it into a currency converter to get the correct figure. You will see instantly if the base points are near enough correct. If they are not and you have the receipt then you can get it fixed by customer service.

Then you'll get the elite multiple of the base points which will only be correct if the base is correct.

Then you'll get the Extra figure which will be welcome points (1000 or 500 or none) plus any other bonus that's going on like the current 1500 per two-night stay plus MAGC points if you've claimed them.

Easy enough to reverse engineer and get fixed if wrong.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Very easy to check. The base points at 10x your spend minus taxes and service charges in US$. You can usually see this easily on the receipt/folio and if you've not paid in US$ then pop it into a currency converter to get the correct figure. You will see instantly if the base points are near enough correct. If they are not and you have the receipt then you can get it fixed by customer service.

Then you'll get the elite multiple of the base points which will only be correct if the base is correct.

Then you'll get the Extra figure which will be welcome points (1000 or 500 or none) plus any other bonus that's going on like the current 1500 per two-night stay plus MAGC points if you've claimed them.

Not really on the App as it only shows the total points not a breakdown which is what the Op was asking about. You need go to the website rather than the Ap to get the details you need to be able to check easily. It is possible with the Ap, if you know what bonus's you got to deduct those, then know your Elite points bonus to the divide by that number then work that number out into local currency and see if it matches the before spend. I wouldnt exactly call it easy and would certainly say it should be easier and the App should be able to show things more clearly in this day and age if Marriott had decent IT!
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Not really on the App as it only shows the total points not a breakdown which is what the Op was asking about. You need go to the website rather than the Ap to get the details you need to be able to check easily. It is possible with the Ap, if you know what bonus's you got to deduct those, then know your Elite points bonus to the divide by that number then work that number out into local currency and see if it matches the before spend. I wouldnt exactly call it easy and would certainly say it should be easier and the App should be able to show things more clearly in this day and age if Marriott had decent IT!
I can see the breakdown on the app. Just click on the stay, and the details appear.

Last edited by margarita girl; Aug 2, 2019 at 5:32 am
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
What else gives you points?

Taxi paid on the room?
Room service?
Restaurant (this one is a yes)
Laundry?

Is there a list somewhere what is and what doesnt give u points?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ftrichard

Really? I mentioned missing points to Marriott on numerous occasions and never got it solved.
Most of these issues were related to last year, when my status wasn't even showing correctly (was showing as a general member instead of Ambassador).
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by itisme
What else gives you points?

Taxi paid on the room?
Room service?
Restaurant (this one is a yes)
Laundry?

Is there a list somewhere what is and what doesnt give u points?
The T&C’s are your friend, even though few people at Marriott have a copy to hand.
MrM2016 and KRSW like this.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Aug 2, 2019 at 11:57 am
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I thought you could only get points for one room per stay?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr
I thought you could only get points for one room per stay?
I think it’s one room elite credit per stay, points up to 3 rooms
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It's easy to tell if you don't have any room charges and just have your standard 1,000 welcome amenity.

It's hard if you do have room charges, are getting some sort of added promo bonus or the like, etc.

Marriott likes opacity, so this is not surprising. This is the same brand that was refusing for months to show you your YTD spend.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I can see the breakdown on the app. Just click on the stay, and the details appear.

Interesting, mine certainly doesnt. You on Android of IoS? Also to be fair I cannto see my spend tracker in my account either despite being well beyond the 50 night rule so it maybe is m account has IT issues I guess! Also love the HOTEL BILL option on the App which does nothing but tell me the folio's are not available, does that do the same for you?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting, mine certainly doesnt. You on Android of IoS? Also to be fair I cannto see my spend tracker in my account either despite being well beyond the 50 night rule so it maybe is m account has IT issues I guess! Also love the HOTEL BILL option on the App which does nothing but tell me the folio's are not available, does that do the same for you?
iOS. No folios.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl

iOS. No folios.
On Android I only get folios for US properties, nothing outside the US.

James
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
On Android I only get folios for US properties, nothing outside the US.

James
Gosh you're right! I so rarely stay in the US that I had to look back quite a few months. What's embarrassing is that it shows all the reservations I've booked/canceled (due to denied BRGs) with a $0 balance. I'm looking at one stay now with 7 denied BRGs and 1 approved. I love Marriott.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Not really on the App as it only shows the total points not a breakdown which is what the Op was asking about.
Definitely the detail is on the iOS app. Can’t speak for Android but the OS was not mentioned as a criteria for response. I get the breakdown of the base, elite, and bonus points so easy to reverse engineer and check if correct. So it was exactly what the OP was talking about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.