Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How to Check if ROOM is Available for Upgrade When Checking In

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Check if ROOM is Available for Upgrade When Checking In

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:49 am

In all fairness, if a 1 tier upgrade room is showing as available on the Marriott website as I'm checking in, it ought to be offered to me. Full stop. Talk of "upgrade pool" seems to give any and all properties the opportunity to entirely opt out of upgrades if they choose to. Which goes against, if not the explicit terms of the t&c, certainly the spirit of the program.
SacTownGuy likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Hence the mistrust from the elites towards hotel (and possibly vice versa) as FT is forum that frequented by the elites ... we most likely never know hotels side of the story.

C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by damon88

When Suiran gave us a complimentary upgrade to the Presidential Suite they specifically said it was because we had booked an 8 night stay 😉

Most of our very best upgrades (SNA And otherwise) have been on 5+ night stays.

I do not subscribe to the shorter stay theory.
I don't think one incident with a presidential suite is a good anecdote to base a theory on. Presidential suites are almost certainly unbooked for long stretches on average and are almost never booked at the last minute. Normal suites have a much different dynamic.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Toukolou
In all fairness, if a 1 tier upgrade room is showing as available on the Marriott website as I'm checking in, it ought to be offered to me. Full stop. Talk of "upgrade pool" seems to give any and all properties the opportunity to entirely opt out of upgrades if they choose to. Which goes against, if not the explicit terms of the t&c, certainly the spirit of the program.
The elite that has stayed there 50 times over the past 2 years and is checking in 2 hrs later may have a different perspective. Its a business and they will operate the business to maximise profit. You may think you are important but there maybe others who are more important. In some hotels you may be one of their better clients. As a Plat I have achieved suites about 70% of the time in hotels that have them. Only once have I ever complained about not getting a suite and they moved me on the second night of a 5 night stay. As a gold with SPG I had 3 upgrades to suites so I have been very satisfied with my outcomes.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I don’t see any reason why this would be true. Firstly the room might be overbooked and is just there to catch extra bookings that would otherwise be missed. Secondly, maybe the room is pre-allocated to another customer for upgrade.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Elite level? AFAIK the only explicitentitlement to (only) a one category upgrade would be a reservation booked through FHR, etc. and not a Starriott Bonvoy elite.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

I don’t see any reason why this would be true. Firstly the room might be overbooked and is just there to catch extra bookings that would otherwise be missed. Secondly, maybe the room is pre-allocated to another customer for upgrade.
Originally Posted by geminidreams
The elite that has stayed there 50 times over the past 2 years and is checking in 2 hrs later may have a different perspective. Its a business and they will operate the business to maximise profit. You may think you are important but there maybe others who are more important. In some hotels you may be one of their better clients. As a Plat I have achieved suites about 70% of the time in hotels that have them. Only once have I ever complained about not getting a suite and they moved me on the second night of a 5 night stay. As a gold with SPG I had 3 upgrades to suites so I have been very satisfied with my outcomes.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Elite level? AFAIK the only explicitentitlement to (only) a one category upgrade would be a reservation booked through FHR, etc. and not a Starriott Bonvoy elite.
It's got nothing to do with my sense of self-importance and everything to do with the stated perks in the membership t&c. Seems pretty clear to me. Room is available to book for the length of my stay, it should be offered as upgrade.

Again all of these conditions you're all quoting might be true, but they clearly go against the spirit of the program. Arbitrarily deciding there are no upgrades available, when the booking site clearly says there are, regardless of the "reality" of the situation, is a misuse of their discretion.

Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
It's got nothing to do with my sense of self-importance and everything to do with the stated perks in the membership t&c. Seems pretty clear to me. Room is available to book for the length of my stay, it should be offered as upgrade.

Again all of these conditions you're all quoting might be true, but they clearly go against the spirit of the program. Arbitrarily deciding there are no upgrades available, when the booking site clearly says there are, regardless of the "reality" of the situation, is a misuse of their discretion.

Its been discussed many times before. Not all suites are part of the upgrade pool, not all suites under a description are part of the upgrade pool, hotels will sell inventory that may not be available and they will manage that depending on their in house criteria. Unless you can look at their inventory you do not know what is available and you dont know if the upgrades have already been allocated to other elites. What shows on the website is not useful what is the actual situation. If you need a suite book it. If you dont need it what is your complaint? You do not and never will be in a position to know the true inventory position. You can argue at the desk all you like but what are you arguing about, that the Marriott website says something and they dont agree? Its a marketing tool not an inventory management tool, dont pretend it means anything! I have been well looked after, especially the hotels that I have stayed in regularly. I know one hotel that has a renowned reluctance to upgrade but I like the hotel and even if I dont get a suite I always get a good room with a view.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

This is my point. If you're entitled to an upgrade according to Bonvoy status, it should be to the BEST available room and not just a ONE CATEGORY (only slightly better) upgrade. For example, if you booked a standard room, no deluxe or superior rooms are available, but there is a super duper deluxe room (not a specialty suite category) available, you're entitled to be upgraded to that room.
wordsmith and Toukolou like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
It hard to check upgrade availability based on Bonvoy apps availability due various reasons mentioned earlier.

While I personally wish the hotel to be more transparent about inventory, unfortunately due to business reason it will be next to impossible.

I agree that hotels should do their best to accommodate upgrades for the elites as per t&c after all elites have shown loyalty to the chain by manage to reach the said tiers with set amount of spend as well (Ambassadors)

Unfortunately not all hotels do this. Some manage to accommodate elites even on their busy period, and some manage to disappoint elites during their quiet period.

Honestly speaking, I prefer Marriott reduce their promise (upgrade to the best available room including suites etc etc) and provide elites with guarantee 1 or 2 category upgrades (tier dependent)and hotel need to compensate members if they failed to fulfill the guarantee (similar to IHG Ambassador I believe)
It will be easier to manage by forcing the non compliant hotels to provide monetary compensation and also reduce the elites expectation on check in.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is my point. If you're entitled to an upgrade according to Bonvoy status, it should be to the BEST available room and not just a ONE CATEGORY (only slightly better) upgrade. For example, if you booked a standard room, no deluxe or superior rooms are available, but there is a super duper deluxe room (not a specialty suite category) available, you're entitled to be upgraded to that room.
Problem is ... hotel inventory is not transparent to the member through the apps.
Non compliant hotel will claim that the online inventory is not updated real time and or other excuses.

I can say I experience this myself, check the apps and show that junior suites and all room categories were available for the duration of my stay and yet only to have no upgrade on check in.
Asked on check in about upgrades and receive the usual our hotel is fully booked answer.
Toukolou likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I don’t see why the “spirit” of the rules says that rooms can’t be pre-booked for higher level elites and hotel VIP guests. It would massively devalue the programme for me, and I’m happy that most of the hotels I visit are clearly able to save a good room for me even if I’m arriving late.

Beyond that, it clearly can’t be in the spirit of rules that any room available online is available for upgrade if it isn’t actually available at all...
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:18 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I don't think one incident with a presidential suite is a good anecdote to base a theory on. Presidential suites are almost certainly unbooked for long stretches on average and are almost never booked at the last minute. Normal suites have a much different dynamic.
You misunderstood my post. I was not basing my conclusion on one stay. I just found Suiran's comment extremely interesting.

My conclusion is based upon many many 5+ night stays that were upgraded to Suites. These are just the SNA ones:

SUITE NIGHT AWARDS

2014 St Regis Florence 5

2015 St Regis Aspen 5

2016 Sheraton Maui 5

2016 Suiran ( pending SNAs “failed” but hotel upgraded us to Presidential Suite for 8 nights)

2017 Park Tower Knightsbridge 5

2018 St Regis NYC 5

2019 Hotel Alfonso XIII 5

That is six 5 night SNA reservations that upgraded to Suites. I have 2 more pending (Las Alcobas & St Regis Hong Kong) plus 2 more I plan to apply as soon as I can (Gritti Palace & St Regis Venice) In my experience longer stays have not negatively impacted my SNA redemptions.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:56 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
  1. I find the entitlement thinking of elites a bit overboard. I stay a lot ( 119 nights YTD ) and when available love an upgrade as a perk as anyone. I expect the hotels chains and local service to acknowledge both their regular as well as the brand elites equally, but in reality I have always experience better treatment, extra service and better upgrades when I become a regular then when I first showed up as an elite.

I think those that see a certain class room available at time of check-in yet don't get the upgrade assume too much. 1) is it available the whole duration of the stay? 2) is there another elite with prioritized ahead of you, 3) perhaps the allocate for upgrades is limited? They do state " subject to availability" What matters isn't that a room is available, it comes down to whether "they" have availability.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by damon88
You misunderstood my post. I was not basing my conclusion on one stay. I just found Suiran's comment extremely interesting.

My conclusion is based upon many many 5+ night stays that were upgraded to Suites. These are just the SNA ones:

SUITE NIGHT AWARDS

2014 St Regis Florence 5

2015 St Regis Aspen 5

2016 Sheraton Maui 5

2016 Suiran ( pending SNAs “failed” but hotel upgraded us to Presidential Suite for 8 nights)

2017 Park Tower Knightsbridge 5

2018 St Regis NYC 5

2019 Hotel Alfonso XIII 5

That is six 5 night SNA reservations that upgraded to Suites. I have 2 more pending (Las Alcobas & St Regis Hong Kong) plus 2 more I plan to apply as soon as I can (Gritti Palace & St Regis Venice) In my experience longer stays have not negatively impacted my SNA redemptions.
The OP was about upgrade availability at check in, not use of SNA. I believe these may have different impact on outcome. I presume (right or wrong) that properties receive some payment from Bonvoy when SNA are redeemed similar to how they receive payment for points redemptions. Regular Elite upgrades I suspect do not get extra reimbursement. If I’m correct, that would certainly impact a property’s decision to provide the upgrade versus anticipation of being able to sell the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.