Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Growth in former SPG Full Service Brands under Marriott

Growth in former SPG Full Service Brands under Marriott

Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:20 am
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Pricing is different than REVpar as a W can only discount so far, even if low occupancy.

I also think some people here seriously underestimate (and look down upon ...) the number of mid six figure executive and professionals driving a rented Camry into the Coeur d'Alene Springhill Suites, the CY in Worcester Mass, the Residence Inn in Boise, the CY in Tallahassee, etc. The Starwood management team didn't -- they caught the problem but couldn't build out limited services brands fast enough to satisfy investors. The Marriott team hasn't -- they realize there are lots of people staying at an FI with the disposable income to travel to aspirational properties around the world, which is why they have been able to accelerate the growth in development.

This is by far one of the most reasonable analysis between the debate of Marriott limited brands versus Starwood full service.I have read enough of silly comments from Starwood side that a marriott guest staying a CY can not understands or have enough budge to spend at a full service SPG luxury brands. But sometimes we just do not need a premium brand or luxury brand in 2~third tier city for business or just one night quick visit, it all depend on the purpose of traveling, who said someone usually staying at a CY or FI does not spend on full service luxury hotel usual as other did? I'm the one who stayed at courtyard in Asia usually at city options, but I've also appreciated of luxury collection properties that I've been to in Bali, Tokyo ,Dubai al Maha at the same time for vacation. Starwood company can not see that , and in my opinion they are doing better than Marriott in building resorts but fail at providing enough and consistency limited - premium business hotel in city destination, take Hong Kong and Singapore for example.

It's also a very good example taking Renaissance and W in business location to clarify the "bias".
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
2015 called and wants its argument back
John Aldeborgh likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:07 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
This is by far one of the most reasonable analysis between the debate of Marriott limited brands versus Starwood full service.I have read enough of silly comments from Starwood side that a marriott guest staying a CY can not understands or have enough budge to spend at a full service SPG luxury brands. But sometimes we just do not need a premium brand or luxury brand in 2~third tier city for business or just one night quick visit, it all depend on the purpose of traveling, who said someone usually staying at a CY or FI does not spend on full service luxury hotel usual as other did? I'm the one who stayed at courtyard in Asia usually at city options, but I've also appreciated of luxury collection properties that I've been to in Bali, Tokyo ,Dubai al Maha at the same time for vacation. Starwood company can not see that , and in my opinion they are doing better than Marriott in building resorts but fail at providing enough and consistency limited - premium business hotel in city destination, take Hong Kong and Singapore for example.

It's also a very good example taking Renaissance and W in business location to clarify the "bias".
Huh?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:40 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
While I travel a lot, by most standards, I must be a simpleton, to the horror of the Marriott marketing MBA's. I chose hotels for 3 basic reasons, comfort zone, location and habit. I travel internationally on business for the most part, I don't like surprises and my schedule is my priority so location matters. Once I find a property that meets my minimum standards for convenience and location I am loyal to that specific property, because it's easy and I don't need to think. I require lounge access, laundry service and not much else. I appreciate room upgrades but honestly don't care as I use the room to sleep and make conference calls. When I look at the Marriott portfolio of products my head starts to hurt. How can anyone comprehend the razor thin market segmentation they offer today, I guess I'm just too flexible to get the value proposition, it's just confusing to me. To me there is as much variability within the single Sheraton hotel brand around the world than there is in much of the Bonvoy portfolio. FWIW, I can count the number of resort properties I've stayed at on one hand, it's just not my thing, always preferred the VRBO type of experience for our family vacations.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
When I look at the Marriott portfolio of products my head starts to hurt. How can anyone comprehend the razor thin market segmentation they offer today, I guess I'm just too flexible to get the value proposition, it's just confusing to me. To me there is as much variability within the single Sheraton hotel brand around the world than there is in much of the Bonvoy portfolio.
Marriott now officially has 30 brands, consisting of Marriott's 19 pre-merger brands and Starwood's 11 pre-merger brands, (In reality, there are even more brands because some brands have distinct sub-brands.)

It's easy to learn how brands compare. Marriott does a pretty good job explaining how each brand is positioned.

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi

Sure, some of it is just meaningless marketing language. But, overall, it gives a good idea of where each brand is on the economy-to-luxury scale and on the traditional-to-trendy scale.

I'm amused when I see a TripAdvisor review in which someone complains about a Moxy Hotel because it's not at all like a traditional Marriott Hotel.

Some brands are in a very similar market segment, especially full-service brands. Still, from the perspective of hotel owners and Marriott International, each brand has a reason and a future. For example, Marriott can sell franchises for Renaissance, Sheraton, Westin, Marriott, Le Méridien, and other brands in the same downtown. Each hotel can have its own identify, which is better than having a half dozen hotels of the same brand within blocks of each other (or having only one hotel there because of geographic exclusivity for a brand). As guests, we can choose the hotel that provides the beat combination of location, style, amenities, favorable reviews, and price.

With the acquisition of Starwood, Marriott International filled some holes in its brand structure. Luxury Collection gives Marriott a luxury "soft brand" positioned above Autograph Collection. Four Points gives Marriott a conversion brand for limited-service hotels. Aloft is a different take on a stylish alternative to Courtyard than AC Hotels. Element gives Marriott a "distinctive" extended-stay brand.

Last edited by Horace; Aug 21, 2019 at 12:03 pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:52 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I don't stay at 30 brands. I stay at the brands that most interest me: almost entirely luxury and premium brands. It isn't so hard to distinguish between them. And I always check out reviews for properties, anyway, since brands don't always tell the whole story regardless of how many there might be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.