Wiki Posts
Search

'No-show' fee advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
'No-show' fee advice

I had a 2 night stay booked at Westin Princeton but had some serious travel difficulties getting there. I had to stay at another hotel on the first night. Naively, I just turned up the next day expecting to be able to check in only to be told that my reservation had been canceled and I would be charged a no-show fee (oh and btw the hotel is full). So I have learned my lesson for the future.

But just to add insult to injury, I have just got a bill for the full fee for both nights. Is that a no-show fee? I can't understand how they can both turn me away and charge me for the full two nights.

Is this correct?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Look at your original reservation email. There should be a line at the bottom under the terms of your booking like "Please note that we will assess a fee of xxx.xx USD if you must cancel after this deadline". I just randomly checked some of mine and the cancelation fee equaled one night. Might be worth an email search.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks. There is indeed:

Please note that we will assess a fee of 364.51 USD if you must cancel after this deadline.

I will start the long and involved complaint procedure. Ug!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:29 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
This is the standard situation unfortunately. If you’re going to miss the first night you should try to reach the hotel before about 1am and ask them to keep your reservation.

Rather than think of yourself as making a complaint, I would instead ask the hotel to make an exception for you as a gesture of goodwill. No need to let your own language disadvantage you here.
IndyHoosier and kimberlyrose like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
This is the standard situation unfortunately. If you’re going to miss the first night you should try to reach the hotel before about 1am and ask them to keep your reservation.
Also, there is still an exception policy for elites, agent confirmed it to me last night. It applies to Titanium (and I assume Plat, but don't know for sure). You need to call to invoke it.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

Rather than think of yourself as making a complaint, I would instead ask the hotel to make an exception for you as a gesture of goodwill. No need to let your own language disadvantage you here.
Good advice. I wasn't able to call the hotel as I was in flight till after 1am. C'est la vie.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Also, there is still an exception policy for elites, agent confirmed it to me last night. It applies to Titanium (and I assume Plat, but don't know for sure). You need to call to invoke it.
Thanks. The funny thing is, if the system ever gets round to updating my last stay, I will be Titanium.

I will give the hotel a call.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjack99
Good advice. I wasn't able to call the hotel as I was in flight till after 1am. C'est la vie........
It is not necessarily 1am, it is before nightly audit run which can be anytime between 1am-6am. I just had an early checkout this past Tuesday when hotel wasn't able to process checkout at 330am due to night audit. I, thankfully, received my checkout folio by email at 7am.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Are hotels really that sticklers? I generally find that if I call them the day before, they usually mark my booking so that it won't get cancelled when I arrive the next day.

I mean, when I arrive by morning or early afternoon flights, they always say "we can check you in early, but if you want to guarantee that your room will be available, you should book the night before you arrive" (London, Sydney, and all the other places where int't flights generally arrive in the morning)
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Also to note here, that "no show fee" applies if you cancel the whole thing inside of the cancellation window (usually 2-3 days prior to first night). If you have a multinight resrvation and you no show without ever cancelling then you could be on the hook for all nights.

Put yourself in the shoes of the hotel (business) that has potentially loss of revenue without that charge.

Having said that, a call to support may get a reduction or removal. Don't demand it- just ask what they can do.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Also to note here, that "no show fee" applies if you cancel the whole thing inside of the cancellation window (usually 2-3 days prior to first night). If you have a multinight resrvation and you no show without ever cancelling then you could be on the hook for all nights.

Put yourself in the shoes of the hotel (business) that has potentially loss of revenue without that charge.

Having said that, a call to support may get a reduction or removal. Don't demand it- just ask what they can do.
Most hotels only charge the first night (including tax and fees) as a now show penalty. Exceptions would be resorts, certain major special events, and hotels that otherwise have stricter than normal cancellation policies/deadlines. Certain corporate rates and especially conference blocks can have bigger penalties for cancellation, and in fact I've seen the two night policy for rooms booked through huge conventions. Of course, if it's a prepaid rate, you would lose the entire amount.

BTW, what time did you arrive at the hotel? If you arrived or called before checkout time (noon in most locations), your reservation should have been honored.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is one of those “unwritten policies” which one can’t find anywhere and which not all Marriott agents know about. Great to know it sometimes works, but I’d be wary about relying on it.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the comments. I didn't show up till after check-out time so I guess they assumed I wasn't coming. It was a hell of a night and day so just didn't have time to think about the hotel till later in the day. Lesson learned.

Thanks again

Michael
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by samwise6222
Are hotels really that sticklers? I generally find that if I call them the day before, they usually mark my booking so that it won't get cancelled when I arrive the next day.
It really depends upon the management of the hotel. In one hotel where I worked as a Revenue Manager, we processed no-show charges but would reverse them if 1) the guest provided a decent reason and 2) we didn't relocate any guests (aka "walk") that night. Plus, we never charged any no-shows for guests of our top 3 or 4 corporate clients.

In contrast, I also worked at an independent hotel during the soft opening period. The owners were desperate for money because the construction costs were much higher than anticipated. There, we billed everyone and only reversed charges if the guest could prove we made a mistake. (That was a nightmare job.)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
It really depends upon the management of the hotel. In one hotel where I worked as a Revenue Manager, we processed no-show charges but would reverse them if 1) the guest provided a decent reason and 2) we didn't relocate any guests (aka "walk") that night. Plus, we never charged any no-shows for guests of our top 3 or 4 corporate clients.

In contrast, I also worked at an independent hotel during the soft opening period. The owners were desperate for money because the construction costs were much higher than anticipated. There, we billed everyone and only reversed charges if the guest could prove we made a mistake. (That was a nightmare job.)
How would your hotel have handled a guest that was arriving on a 7AM flight, and wanted a guaranteed room?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.