Night credits for redemption bookings?

Old Jul 31, 19, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Night credits for redemption bookings?

I wonder if this is a recent change in T&Cs. I recently booked an redemption stay and did not get credited the night toward status. This is the email I received from Marriott:

Dear Mr. __ ,

My apologies. I mis-spoke, you are indeed entitled to the 500 welcome points which I have applied, however you will not earn nights, and would only earn additional credit on incidentals (room service etc.) which does not apply in this case.

For further detail on point eligibility please refer to the following link for a full list of terms and conditions.
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#earn
Is this a recent change? I've certainly received credit for redemption bookings before, as late as a couple weeks ago.

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 19, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by jetplane86 View Post
I wonder if this is a recent change in T&Cs. I recently booked an redemption stay and did not get credited the night toward status. This is the email I received from Marriott:

Is this a recent change? I've certainly received credit for redemption bookings before, as late as a couple weeks ago.

Thanks!
the terms state
i. A “Stay” is a stay of one or more consecutive nights at the same Participating Property by a Member who: (A) provides his/her Membership Number at the time of reservation or at check-in; (B) pays a Qualifying Rate or redeems a Points redemption Award or a promotional Award for the stay; and (C) stays in one of the reserved guest rooms.
so I would email back.

There will probably be a complete riot if no more credit for point redemption stays.
Old Jul 31, 19, 12:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
I've had 4 points redemptions within the last 2 weeks. All but the last (checkout 2 days ago) have posted with nights properly posted.

Email back with the relevant part of the T&C highlighted.
Old Jul 31, 19, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!
Have you made the stay yet?

The credit would not post until the stay happened, just like the pay stay.
In fact, a redemption reservation would not be considered eligible activity to move the clock UNTIL after the reservation is consumed. It is also clearly said so in the T&Cs.

The T&Cs CLEARLY say redemption stay earns the same night credit as pay stay.
Old Jul 31, 19, 12:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I wonder if this is a recent change in T&Cs. I recently booked an redemption stay and did not get credited the night toward status.

Was your stay a Marriott Bonvoy Points redemption?

Or was it a redemption through a different program (for example, Citi ThankYou Rewards)?
Old Jul 31, 19, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

The stay occurred last weekend and it was booked on Marriott.com. I've had similar stays that credited fine so I was surprised to receive that response. This was actually the second email from them after I asked the agent to double check with his supervisor. I will email back again!
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 4:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
They’re just messing with you AGAIN.
dgreen12 and margarita girl like this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
So the Marriott rep links the Bonvoy T&Cs, which clearly state exactly the opposite of what the rep's email says? What kind of kafkaesque nonsense is this?
Old Jul 31, 19, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
What kind of kafkaesque nonsense is this?
It's an incompetent agent. Nothing to get up in arms about.
Old Aug 1, 19, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Well, at least Marriott has come to their senses!

Dear __,

Thank you. Your stay has indeed been posted, please note the changes may not be reflected immediately on your account. Usually it is within 24 hours.
I'm glad I can educate one of their agents

Search this Thread