Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum vs. Titanium?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:34 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
They are all easily obtained via the MP Credit Card if desired. In the past the biggest benefit for me was access to Economy Plus at the time of booking. With the devaluation of UA Premier Silver status benefits, now it is only at check-in time. Huge loss of value in my mind. Anyway, we're starting to get off topic for this thread delving into the nuances of UA Premier Silver status.

--Jon
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
If you are an American resident, yes.
Still puzzled by the personal side of view and/or the "if". Free benefit is always good and gets value, even if the value is low to some people. You can get the credit card, but there is cost of annual fee. This benefit may be worth $20 or $100 to some people. But it is still value.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by RedSun
Still puzzled by the personal side of view and/or the "if". Free benefit is always good and gets value, even if the value is low to some people. You can get the credit card, but there is cost of annual fee. This benefit may be worth $20 or $100 to some people. But it is still value.
I think we are speaking at cross purposes here. Non-American residents are (generally) not able to get US credit cards.
fdem, ftrichard and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
They are all easily obtained via the MP Credit Card if desired. In the past the biggest benefit for me was access to Economy Plus at the time of booking. With the devaluation of UA Premier Silver status benefits, now it is only at check-in time. Huge loss of value in my mind. Anyway, we're starting to get off topic for this thread delving into the nuances of UA Premier Silver status.

--Jon
Last week flew LAX-FCA (3 hour flight), round trip, and both my wife and I got upgraded to first class in both directions. I was happy about my Titanium status.
EuropeanPete and FreeNight like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Qatar Privilege Club Silver
My stay is mainly in Europe. As a Gold Elite I had more upgrades including suites. I was Platinum Premier / Titanium for about a year and haven't been upgraded to suites except with using SNA.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:41 pm
Suspended

I think we are speaking at cross purposes here. Non-American residents are (generally) not able to get US credit cards.
I know this. Not referring to this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbrower
Last week flew LAX-FCA (3 hour flight), round trip, and both my wife and I got upgraded to first class in both directions. I was happy about my Titanium status.
Yes, and you do not need MP credit card for it.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Anecdotally, as I was recently checking into a resort property and being given a nice Ambassador upgrade (in spite of my SNAs having been declined), the gentleman next to me was being told something to the effect of "I'm sure as a Titanium you're used to a water view, but we simply don't have any water view rooms available for your stay this time." Now mind you, this property had a TON of water-facing rooms. Couldn't help but think to myself "so this is what's in store for me next year."
As an ambassador, I've been consistently getting upgrades this years -- like 4 out of 5 times. Definitely a difference from years past. When this year's Ambassador inflation falls off, maybe some of that will spill over to titaniums. BTW folks, can we please do away with the "t*t" abbreviation? I'm hardly the PC sort, but it feels crass and misogynistic to me.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I'm with the thread starter here. I've been gold/platinum for 11 years and made titanium this year and other than the 75% points bonus (and one upgrade which was very nice at Trump Turnberry) I can't say I have noticed any difference at all as to how I am treated in the hotels I frequent here in the UK. I don't usually do late check outs so the 4pm availability isn't of any value to me. Okay, I get United Silver... but again I live in the UK so that is (for me) a waste of time.

Most of the downservice has been from changing to gold to platinum (and titanium) where the previous welcome gifts you got (free drink vouchers/welcome plate of fruit/sweets/cakes) have gone and instead replaced by the bulk standard 500/1000 points or $10 credit which barely buys you a drink at most Marriott hotels!
jonisflying likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:47 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
I was not happy to not receive top tier lifetime status when the merge took place. my previous life with Spg having been at 700 nights and with a large spend but rules are rules. Could have tried to get to 750 but just to travel for the sake of it did not make sense ( carbon footprint personal spend etc). I now find myself in the good situation of having pretty much 100 percent upgrades, however I mainly travel in se Asia and Europe so cannot complain. I have previously posted that my stays are 100 percent cash spend so I do believe that there is an underlying culture at Bonvoy and previously sag to give preference to cash spend, or maybe I am just lucky
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by fdem
I was not happy to not receive top tier lifetime status when the merge took place. my previous life with Spg having been at 700 nights and with a large spend but rules are rules. Could have tried to get to 750 but just to travel for the sake of it did not make sense ( carbon footprint personal spend etc). I now find myself in the good situation of having pretty much 100 percent upgrades, however I mainly travel in se Asia and Europe so cannot complain. I have previously posted that my stays are 100 percent cash spend so I do believe that there is an underlying culture at Bonvoy and previously sag to give preference to cash spend, or maybe I am just lucky
I am in similar situation, it turned out MB did not count the year I achieved during 2018 after merged accounts, anyway after this year I will be a LTP with 1K+ nights go figure. Currently Titanium, the only difference I have noticed is the reduction of benefits compared to SPG Platinum .... Getting the same benefits as Titanium at many hotels as I used to get as MR Gold ....My bet is that benefits will deteriorate until the next economic downturn .... and the difference between MB PLT and MB TIT will converge to a small epsilon ....
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
UA Premier Silver status has very minimal value. It was much better when Plat Premieres got UA Premier Gold status which was meaningful.

--Jon
A free bag, priority check-in and priority boarding are not to be sniffed at.
It is fairly difficult to reach 50-75 hotel nights in a year, but not pick up some kind of status from an airline, unless you really aren't trying at all...
Jon Maiman and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
If you book close-to-last minute at sold out hotels, being Titanium could be useful, although they could technically charge you rack rate.

Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
If you book close-to-last minute at sold out hotels, being Titanium could be useful, although they could technically charge you rack rate.
Not only can they charge you rack rate, but the hotel can opt-out for conferences, sporting events, etc. Essentially the most likely reasons why you'd want to force your way into a specific hotel...
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by craigthemif
It is fairly difficult to reach 50-75 hotel nights in a year, but not pick up some kind of status from an airline, unless you really aren't trying at all...
It all depends really, doesn't it? I stay 250+ hotel nights per year so that's not especially challenging for me, but in terms of flights most of mine are with OneWorld (I'm Emerald), LCC's or local non-alliance airlines. Other than doing lots of flying for status only, there would really be no other way for me to get United Silver. Of course, I'd have preferred United Gold.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It all depends really, doesn't it? I stay 250+ hotel nights per year so that's not especially challenging for me, but in terms of flights most of mine are with OneWorld (I'm Emerald), LCC's or local non-alliance airlines. Other than doing lots of flying for status only, there would really be no other way for me to get United Silver. Of course, I'd have preferred United Gold.
Because of your stated travel habits, you (as do I FWIW) would therefore fly OW or LCCs as much as feasible. Making UA Silver useful in what... 1 flight out of 20? 50?

I'm not complaining about being given a back-up plan to the back-up plan, but I struggle to see how UA Silver ends up being the best airline elite status that a 75+ night Tit can manage...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.