Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum vs. Titanium?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Anecdotally, as I was recently checking into a resort property and being given a nice Ambassador upgrade (in spite of my SNAs having been declined), the gentleman next to me was being told something to the effect of "I'm sure as a Titanium you're used to a water view, but we simply don't have any water view rooms available for your stay this time." Now mind you, this property had a TON of water-facing rooms. Couldn't help but think to myself "so this is what's in store for me next year."
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LifetimeUpgrade
I still have front desk telling me Thank you for being a Platinum member, when I have been Titanium for last 2 years.

The extra points is nice, and United Silver is useful for me occasionally. I haven't ever been able to use all my SNAs in a year, but when they work it is very nice e-mail to receive.
How could you have been Tit for the last two years when the level started at the same time that Bonvoy Amb did, roughly August 18, 2018?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Anecdotally, as I was recently checking into a resort property and being given a nice Ambassador upgrade (in spite of my SNAs having been declined), the gentleman next to me was being told something to the effect of "I'm sure as a Titanium you're used to a water view, but we simply don't have any water view rooms available for your stay this time." Now mind you, this property had a TON of water-facing rooms. Couldn't help but think to myself "so this is what's in store for me next year."
I think it's more hit and miss. I (Titanium) was traveling with a coworker (Platinum) in Texas. Same check in, although he was staying an extra night on the back end, at the same hotel, same check in time. I found out when we met after check in that he was upgraded to a suite while I was not. I didn't bring it up with the property as I didn't really have time to talk to 10 different managers and didn't want my coworker to lose the room (unlikely I know). It made me wonder how often that happens to me, or I've gotten an upgrade when an Ambassador hasn't. I've gotten that "nothing available" line quite a few times.

All that to say, your experience may not be different next year .
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by JBord
I think it's more hit and miss.
Plenty of reports here to support this notion. Some seem to think that lower-tier members get upgrades ahead of higher-tier members in cases such as you mention to cement loyalty (obviously they already have the higher-tier member's loyalty!). I think there's still a fair bit of FD discretion, too - do they like/are they attracted to someone? Etc.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:46 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
UA Premier Silver status has very minimal value. It was much better when Plat Premieres got UA Premier Gold status which was meaningful.

--Jon
We talking about the difference. Here it is the main difference. Little value is still value.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The Marriott Bonvoy T&Cs treat "enhanced room upgrades" the same for Platinum Elite, Titanium Elite, and Ambassador Elite. The wording for Gold Elite is similar, but "standard suites" are not included.

I would like to think that well-managed properties with properly-trained employees take Marriott Bonvoy tiers into consideration when assigning rooms ahead of time and in how the front desk deals with arriving Elite guests:

Non-member < Member < Silver Elite < Gold Elite < Platinum Elite < Titanium Elite < Ambassador Elite

A property can, of course, take other factors into consideration, such as higher room rates or major corporate accounts. Interestingly, the two are at odds with each other. The rates for major corporate accounts are typically lower than the common rates at Marriott.com (such as non-refundable advance, regular, Member, AAA, or Senior).

Alas, "hit or miss" probably describes it best for many properties.
CCIE_Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Do they factor in YTD rolling spend? For example will a Titanium with 15k spend be upgraded before a Plat with 30k?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Individual hotels can give a lot of weight to guests who have previously stayed at the property.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Lifetime titanium,and current Ambassador: it's almost utterly pointless! (pardon the pun). Can't use my SNAs, regular "upgrades" aren't real upgrades,and the points truly are low value. More value would be if they would look after Mrs Limey or Moma Limey, but can't even get really beneficial stuff for my family.

Also can't even get a decent breakfast.. eg Moxy D.C... i can have a pastry and an orange juice, not even a breakfast sandwich!

Want a points reservation at the Courtyard in MUC in Oktoberfest... nope... not taking points reservations, but to be fair the cash price wasn't horrible.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Do they factor in YTD rolling spend? For example will a Titanium with 15k spend be upgraded before a Plat with 30k?
That question assumes there's some sort of carefully designed prioritzation rule set. Considering how arbitrary upgrades tend to be, that seems unlikely at most properties.

I assume there's some effort at most properties to assign Elite guests to better rooms or onto "Elite floors." But when an overworked room assigner needs to assign 100 arriving guests to 100 rooms that have other guests checking out, the highest priority is probably just to get the bed types and room categories right, and to make sure nobody is put into a suite for several days that's needed for a paid reservation a day or two later — and to get the job done.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Individual hotels can give a lot of weight to guests who have previously stayed at the property.
Yes. That would be good business.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
You get 5 extra Suite Night Awards - 75% vs 50% bonus on points, that is about it
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Don't expect that Ambassador is like the GS of Marriott either - if Marriott Titanium is UA Platinum, Marriott Ambassador is like Platinum+ (not even 1K)
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I have been trying to gauge the difference myself and sort of find that Titanium doesn't really seem to be worth the extra 25 nights even though I'll probably make it this year. I really wish nights still rolled over because I would just cut if off at 74 and credit the 24 extra nights to next year. This would be more valuable to me than some lowly UA Silver status and a slightly better shot at an "upgraded" room.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
A free bag, priority check-in and priority boarding are not to be sniffed at.
They are all easily obtained via the MP Credit Card if desired. In the past the biggest benefit for me was access to Economy Plus at the time of booking. With the devaluation of UA Premier Silver status benefits, now it is only at check-in time. Huge loss of value in my mind. Anyway, we're starting to get off topic for this thread delving into the nuances of UA Premier Silver status.

--Jon

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Jul 30, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
They are all easily obtained via the MP Credit Card if desired.
If you are an American resident, yes.
fdem likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.