Search

Platinum vs. Titanium?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:30 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Platinum vs. Titanium?

I'm sure this has been discussed endlessly... so please feel free to move moderator, I could find a good thread going back several pages....

Just completed my 3rd stay since becoming a Titanium. I must be missing something, but I don’t see any difference between Platinum and Titanium. I’ve been Platinum for the last 7 years (the 50 night level, so Gold / Platinum) and gotten the occasional upgrade, but it seems rare. Of the few that I’ve gotten, most were the result of me asking about an upgrade when checking in, which I don’t do very often (rarely). The only notable exception is the University Arms Autograph Hotel in Cambridge UK… where I was upgraded to a suite on both my stays this year, as a Platinum, and didn’t even ask!

I was really excited when I reached Titanium (75 nights) for the first time, thinking my experiences would be better… sadly, I’m not really seeing anything.
  • No recognition of status (no big deal)
  • Same welcome gift (just the same Points or Voucher I was getting as Plat)
  • No room upgrades (the one bugging me, but small sample size so far)
Was I just expecting too much? Am I missing some perks?

My frame of reference is my airline status. The jump from Platinum to 1K on United is pretty meaningful to me (priority boarding, GPUs, dedicated call line, prioritized meal choices in business, free food in economy, etc.).

I’m likely to reach 100 nights this year, but not the $20,000 in spend (probably ending around $15,000, thanks to corporate rates). I’m guessing Ambassador level is really where the noticeable differences kick in?
KRSW and nequine like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Did you read the Bonvoy web site?

Tits get a few extra points (+75% rather than +50%) and the possibility of a room upgrade at a RC brand hotel. I think that’s it.

People have fantasies about getting priority in the upgrade list but I’ve not seen anything in the T&Cs about this.

The jump comes at 50-nights to Platinum when you get lounge access, suite upgrades (if you’re lucky), and 4pm check out.

After reading the Bonvoy T&Cs, what else were your expecting that you don’t get?
Dav77 and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A lot depends on your stay patterns. Where Tit versus Plat is most likely to make a difference (other than in RCs) would be hotels that preassign upgrades. You can also choose ten SNAs instead of just five.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I was Platinum (50 nights) for about 9 years, then Titanium for the last two. I wouldn't expect your experience in the hotel to be any different. The benefits people mentioned above all come after your stay.

Since I don't burn through points anyway, I also feel like there's very little difference. I've started staying at other hotels more often since I made LT Plat. On our September vacation, we've booked all our nights in boutique hotels and AirBnb. If I end up at 68 nights for the year, I won't miss the Titanium benefits.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:27 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

One major difference is the Marriott United RewardPlus program. It is only available to TI members. If this adds any value to you.

Titanium and Ambassador Elite members can enroll to enjoy complimentary United MileagePlus Premier® Silver status.

Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
UA Premier Silver status has very minimal value. It was much better when Plat Premieres got UA Premier Gold status which was meaningful.

--Jon
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
UA Premier Silver status has very minimal value. It was much better when Plat Premieres got UA Premier Gold status which was meaningful.

--Jon
plat premium back then was way above current titanium level
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by myperks

plat premium back then was way above current titanium level
Yes, but many hotels didn't know what it was and/or treated it as some special lower level of Plat, perhaps assuming that it came from a credit card or was otherwise comped.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:50 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman

--Jon
A free bag, priority check-in and priority boarding are not to be sniffed at.
dgreen12, jtp1947, Pitero and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium
Your main benefits are the extra choice award, 17.5 points/$ and Silver Premier status with UA if you don't have that already.

You might get a little better treatment at hotels in Asia and some European cities that don't see a lot of Titaniums, but other than that, you'll have much the same experiance as a Platinum.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Thank you all for the comments!

As a 1K on United the Silver status doesn't help me, but that would be good for those that don't have any status!

My expectations are better set now.

Thank you!
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:19 am
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
I still have front desk telling me Thank you for being a Platinum member, when I have been Titanium for last 2 years.

The extra points is nice, and United Silver is useful for me occasionally. I haven't ever been able to use all my SNAs in a year, but when they work it is very nice e-mail to receive.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by LifetimeUpgrade
I still have front desk telling me Thank you for being a Platinum member, when I have been Titanium for last 2 years.

The extra points is nice, and United Silver is useful for me occasionally. I haven't ever been able to use all my SNAs in a year, but when they work it is very nice e-mail to receive.
I don't think there is enough extra benefit to justify moving any nights. It's literally just extra points. I feel like there is less difference now between Titanium and Platinum then there was between Platinum and Gold. I feel like the Titanium status level is marketing to generate some extra nights for Marriott, they have not backed it up with any noticeable on the ground benefits.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I get no real benefits in the US other than Club Lounge access. I do get upgrades in China.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
A free bag, priority check-in and priority boarding are not to be sniffed at.
And upgrades can happen as a lowly silver, although are obviously rare.

Thanks to the silver status match over the past 4 years I've got:
1 domestic upgrade
2 international upgrades (Caribbean)
1 partner international op upgrade (Air Canada), where I was prioritized ahead of passengers without any Star Alliance status

While Titanium recognition is all over the place (more often than not I'm greeted as a Platinum) this benefit plus the additional points earning and SNAs have worked well for me. Agree with other posters that more needs to be done though to prioritize Titanium upgrades over Platinum, I've travelled across multiple countries in Europe and Asia this year and found no evidence this is happening.
EuropeanPete and RedSun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.