Marriott eUpgrades - New?

Old Jul 29, 19, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Marriott eUpgrades - New?

Booked a Marriott a few days ago and got this in my e-mail 2 days before arrival:

Is this a new thing Marriott is using or is it property specific (Leeds Marriott). Never had it before in any of my stays. They are using a company called 'Nor1' www.nor1.com for this service. Anyone else had this ever at another property?
unclepants likes this.
Old Jul 29, 19, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Haven't seen it yet, but apparently they are testing out the same thing that Hilton does... sell cheap upgrades to anyone prior to check in so that elites don't get any upgrades.

Sounds like yet another 'Bonvoy' enhancement.
Old Jul 29, 19, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Isn't it a bummer when a publicly traded company actually tries to make money?
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 29, 19, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Isn't it a bummer when a publicly traded company actually tries to make money?
If they sell a suite for the price differential listed above a standard room, good for them. When they start selling suites for say only $10, $20, $30 buck upsells per night, they are telling loyal (Marriott elite) guests that their loyalty is worth less than that same $10 to $30. Dont think I need an MBA to know that isnt a smart message to send to your most loyal customers.
Old Jul 29, 19, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Maybe - but I'll bet $1 that it's property-specific (or at least owner-specific). Yeah, not that confident. But I guess I'd expect, regardless of IT, that if Marriott wanted to do this system-wide they would do it internally, not contract it out. Seems more like a renegade owner action, probably trying to solve an issue with his properties' occupancy and revenue.

Originally Posted by KosherKimchee View Post
If they sell a suite for the price differential listed above a standard room, good for them. When they start selling suites for say only $10, $20, $30 buck upsells per night, they are telling loyal (Marriott elite) guests that their loyalty is worth less than that same $10 to $30. Dont think I need an MBA to know that isnt a smart message to send to your most loyal customers.
IF Marriott is selling upgrades for a fraction of the price, I would kind of agree with this. But if they are offering those upgrades to both elites and non-elites at the same price, then what's the problem? It simply becomes a new price for a suite, and they can set those prices however they want.

When United started selling cheap seat upgrades a few years back, they screwed over elites. There were many documented cases of elites not getting the offer, or an offer higher than a non-elite (even on same fare code and ticket price, sometimes even on same PNR). It was a deliberate slap in the face of it's best customers. We don't know that's the case here.

But again, is it Marriott or a franchisee? And if the latter, does Marriott even know about it? Looks like it might be outside of the Marriott walls.
unclepants likes this.
Old Jul 29, 19, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen these offers for certain hotels, maybe for a couple years how. Note that the upgrades are all sold on a standby basis. My understanding is that they come after SNAs (certainly) and also elite upgrades.

The early check in offer is new to me and might be a response to a similar thing (also very new) for Hyatt Place. If it's also standby, finding out when you arrive (early) at the hotel would make it much less valuable.
Old Jul 29, 19, 4:19 pm

Programs: BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); Hyatt Somethingorother; UA Silver
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
When United started selling cheap seat upgrades a few years back, they screwed over elites. There were many documented cases of elites not getting the offer, or an offer higher than a non-elite (even on same fare code and ticket price, sometimes even on same PNR). It was a deliberate slap in the face of it's best customers. We don't know that's the case here.
TOD's--a change we really liked.
Old Jul 29, 19, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

The early check in offer is new to me and might be a response to a similar thing (also very new) for Hyatt Place. If it's also standby, finding out when you arrive (early) at the hotel would make it much less valuable.
i just checked the more info tab and indeed:

“Please note that this request is subject to availability. You will be notified upon your arrival if your request could be fulfilled.“
Old Jul 29, 19, 5:04 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
I’ve seen these for the Marriott Maida Vale in London, perhaps it’s a UK thing? The upgrades were for concierge rooms or suites - given that I’d get lounge access as a plat and had put in SNAs, I ignored the email. I am curious how many people purchase the upsells (and how much it cuts into the upgrade pool).
unclepants likes this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 4:02 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
As a Hilton Diamond member I often used it but for Elite Levels (HHonors Gold and Diamond), the price for the next level / two levels room upgrade was $ 0.
Hope the same at Bonvoy.
Old Jul 30, 19, 6:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy View Post
As a Hilton Diamond member I often used it but for Elite Levels (HHonors Gold and Diamond), the price for the next level / two levels room upgrade was $ 0.
Hope the same at Bonvoy.
It's always been that way at Marriott, but you don't have to click a button to get in queue, you're automatically placed there. If a Marriott elite pays to be in line for an upgrade that their status gets them in line for anyway, that's a personal issue.

The danger here, as others have noted, is that the hotel is going around Marriott's program and using this third party tool to sell upgrades and steal them away from elites, not that corporate Marriott is trying to undercut it's own program.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 7:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
As noted this is nor1 at work - not Marriott. If you search on nor1 over in the Hilton forum, youll see that they've been at this for years. All I can say is, if you see an offer that appeals to you, go ahead and give it a go - depending on how full the hotel is, you may get the "upgrade"/"upgrades" you've selected. It all depends on if you see value in what they are offering and how much it costs.

For me, these offers were most annoying when I've booked on points.

David
Old Jul 30, 19, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat/1.5MM, SPG P100, Marriott LTP(P, coming to you in Jan '19), Hertz Prez, CBP GE, et al
Would be fun to pay for one of these and have the upgrade clear. Then upon checking in, ask the hotel if you would've received an elite upgrade anyway, putting them in the position to:

a) Say yes....so we probably ought to refund your money, huh?

b) Say no...forcing them to acknowledge that they'll sell out elites in a heartbeat for insignificant margin improvement.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
at the end of the day i don't mind this....no one is forcing anyone to take the upgrade & it just opens up some options on being able to upgrade for less than what the room would have cost if booked outright....lots of airlines do this as well....

Search this Thread