Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Is this good value for cat 8? Playa conchal westin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:00 am
Original Poster

looking at staying for 4 nights at westin playa conchal Guanacaste Costa Rica.

Its 85K per night I was thinking of using 170K for 2 nights plus pay for 2 nights at $360 per night incl taxes.

is this good value? Keep in mind that this hotel is all inclusive so the points redemption includes all meals, drinks snacks etc
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
85k against $360? doesn't seem great, maybe for HH points, but you can get much closer to 1c for MR...
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It all depends on how many points you have, what your earn and burn rates are, and what your checking account balance is.
Beltway2A and rny321 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:13 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It all depends on how many points you have, what your earn and burn rates are, and what your checking account balance is.
You do not need all that. There is a clear ball-park range. It is just insane (or broke) if you want to redeem 85k for $300 hotel.

Make sense if you get reward nights to burn before expiration. Not for points.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedSun
You do not need all that. There is a clear ball-park range. It is just insane (or broke) if you want to redeem 85k for $300 hotel.

even with the fact that this resort is all inclusive?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by WGretzky

$300 is still $300 against 85k points and all inclusiveness is irrelevant. I personally think the cash rate is a better use than points but then again if you have a boat load of points, then use points.
rny321 and margarita girl like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It is just insane (or broke) if you want to redeem 85k for $300 hotel.
If you have a million points and only $200, it makes perfect sense. Ditto if you earn more points than you can possibly use. You cannot sensibly draw conclusions with insufficient information.
iskingolf likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WGretzky

At 1 cent per point, 85K is $850. If your hotel is $360 (which already includes F&B) you are potentially losing out on $490 in value daily. I would say this is an extremely poor redemption. Even at a value of 0.8 cents per point, the potential loss is $320. Looking the otherway around, you are getting 0.432 cents per points for your redemption.

Pay for the stay and use your points for an aspirational property elsewhere or book 4 nights and get a 5th night free at a category 5 for 140K. If you have 200K, you can stay 5 nights at a category 6. $360 per night for an all inclusive is pretty reasonable.

James
rny321, RedSun and ryw like this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 29, 2019 at 10:44 am
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by myperks

$300 is still $300 against 85k points and all inclusiveness is irrelevant. I personally think the cash rate is a better use than points but then again if you have a boat load of points, then use points.
Sounds like the OP only has enough points for 2 nights on points and will pay for 2 nights for a stay of 4 nights total. If the OP had a "boat load" of points to burn, then why not use points for all nights and get a fifth night free if the scedule permits another day?

James
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:23 am

The guiding rule should be - take the nightly cash rate in USD, (including taxes but not resort fees), and divide it by the points per night. If the result comes out to ~.008 or higher, it's a good redemption. If it's less than that, it's not the best use of your points. However, at the end of the day if you want to burn them anyway no one is going to stop you.

In this case $360/85,000 points comes out to .004, or less than half what I value the points at so I wouldn't do it, but everyone values these differently and decides what's worth it to them.
rny321, EuropeanPete and ryw like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
I normally don't redeem for less than 3/4 cent per point and aim for at least 1 cent each.

Valuations are subjective for a variety of reasons like the relative amounts of cash and points one has and when and where one travels. One other consideration is the cost to acquire points which can be done through stays, credit card use, or direct purchases. In the past SPG had sales where points were offered for roughly the equivalent of 3/4 of a cent and each dollar of SPG CC spending yielded 3 points. MR has offered points for less than 1 cents each, but currently sells them for 1 1/4 cents, and each dollar of MR CC spending yielded 2 points.

Although airlines attempt to sell points way above the value that I would consider, buying SPG points seemed like a reasonable value during sales. My reference when deciding what card to use for "unbonused" spending is a 2% cashback card, which would make the acquisition cost of MR points roughly 1 cent each. Alternatively, one could earn 1.5 UR points per dollar on a no fee Chase card combined with a Sapphire Reserve, which many would considered better the the 2% cashback option. There are other options, but my cursory analysis is easily adaptable to one's own preferences.

Last edited by rny321; Jul 29, 2019 at 12:05 pm
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:08 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If you have a million points and only $200, it makes perfect sense. Ditto if you earn more points than you can possibly use. You cannot sensibly draw conclusions with insufficient information.
False. Even if you get 1 million points and $200 for arguing purposes, you can still gift your points to your family and friends and get more than $200 back.

Loser is always a loser.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Always pay cash when the rate is that low. Save the points for the $700+/night rooms where you get better value. The last 85k’er I redeemed the room was going for like $990/night with taxes and fees. A few months ago I had a 2 night award stay booked at the Moscow RC and cancelled and refunded the points because the StR dropped under $300/night. Best to save the points for when they will help you most.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
For comparison, I recently redeemed 87,500 points for a 6 night stay that would have cost USD 1,070.00 cash.
I felt that was good value.
Compare that to your use of almost the exact same number of points for a USD 360.00 value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.