Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Elite on AMEX FHR stay--Breakfast credit stackable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

If Plat+ stays on a post paid FHR rate in a Luxury collection hotel, can I get breakfast as my welcome amenity? Does it stack with my FHR breakfast credit? Trying to cover my whole family of 3 breakfasts here without paying extra. My Bonvoy number is already on the reservation.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'm sure any answer would be property-dependent. Ask when you check in.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
I think the technical answer is no as if a rate has breakfast included then the automatic is points. Equally I would imagine if the hotel is in the FHR scheme its the type of thing they should agree to as a matter of good service standard.

How old is the third person btw, the younger they are again the more likely a yes I would suspect. Which property is it?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been explicitly told no when I didn't even ask as I was traveling by myself. Somehow someone wanted to make it clear that I could not eat breakfast in the lounge and the restaurant on the same day, as if I would ever want to do this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:39 pm

What marriott property is it?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've been explicitly told no when I didn't even ask as I was traveling by myself. Somehow someone wanted to make it clear that I could not eat breakfast in the lounge and the restaurant on the same day, as if I would ever want to do this.
if breakfast in the restaurant was the option you picked how could they prevent you also using the lounge and having some breakfast in there? Very odd and sounds like one of those hotels that annoys its guests just for the sake of it!
Isochronous likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I do this all the time. As an early riser, I like to go the the lounge for coffee and something light like yogurt and fruit, cold meat & cheese. At 9:30-10:00 (depending on the breakfast hours) I will have something more substantial in the restaurant.

If you have lounge access, I am not sure how they would police that. Yes, they often request your room number but access to breakfast in the restaurant is either by coupon or you are on a list of eligible guests at the restaurant. When asked for my room number I always provide it and never have had an issue with both.

James
Isochronous likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
if breakfast in the restaurant was the option you picked how could they prevent you also using the lounge and having some breakfast in there? Very odd and sounds like one of those hotels that annoys its guests just for the sake of it!
The restaurant breakfast was from FHR. The question is about stackable benefits between Bonvoy elite status and FHR (or similar such as Virtuoso). This was a property that did ask for one's room number when entering the lounge, so they could in principle have billed for the excess breakfast after the fact.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:31 am

The restaurant breakfast was from FHR. The question is about stackable benefits between Bonvoy elite status and FHR (or similar such as Virtuoso). This was a property that did ask for one's room number when entering the lounge, so they could in principle have billed for the excess breakfast after the fact.
Did you not hold status to allow lounge access? My understanding is if you have lounge access and breakfast included in your rate they could not stop you using the lounge at certain times of the day. You have paid for your breakfast via the booked rate and have lounge access and all its benefits via status, status is applicable on FHR rates so really not sure how they could bill you for using a lounge you have the right to be in.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
the breakfast in the restaurant is included in your rate and lounge access (whenever the lounge is open) is either a perk of your status or your room rate so I’m not sure what you could be billed for.

Ive done both many times as above. Coffee/something light from lounge then gym then eggs in the restaurant. Never been questioned.
cy1978hk likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I do this all the time. As an early riser, I like to go the the lounge for coffee and something light like yogurt and fruit, cold meat & cheese. At 9:30-10:00 (depending on the breakfast hours) I will have something more substantial in the restaurant.
James
I'm the same. My husband can eat a full breakfast the moment he wakes which is too early for me. Typically I go to the lounge, pick up a coffee and take it outside with a newspaper. At least an hour later I start feeling like i could eat. No one has ever said that I can't go back in to either lounge or restaurant or stopped my husband at the lounge/restaurant because I am not with him and gone in earlier.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:49 am
Original Poster

I think the technical answer is no as if a rate has breakfast included then the automatic is points. Equally I would imagine if the hotel is in the FHR scheme its the type of thing they should agree to as a matter of good service standard.

How old is the third person btw, the younger they are again the more likely a yes I would suspect. Which property is it?
9 y/o and St Anthony in SAT.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by neuro0
If Plat+ stays on a post paid FHR rate in a Luxury collection hotel, can I get breakfast as my welcome amenity? Does it stack with my FHR breakfast credit? Trying to cover my whole family of 3 breakfasts here without paying extra. My Bonvoy number is already on the reservation.
As stated earlier, it is property dependent. When staying on MR rates, I have frequently been offered a couple of nights with an extra breakfast as a courtesy. Although the breakfast benefit is due to my status. I always let other members of my family utilize the included breakfast on the remaining days instead of me. Lest anyone think I am being generous, I normally eat oatmeal and quinoa for breakfast which makes a hotel breakfast relatively unimportant to me.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:33 pm

Did you not hold status to allow lounge access? My understanding is if you have lounge access and breakfast included in your rate they could not stop you using the lounge at certain times of the day. You have paid for your breakfast via the booked rate and have lounge access and all its benefits via status, status is applicable on FHR rates so really not sure how they could bill you for using a lounge you have the right to be in.
Of course I held top tier status, but I was told explicitly that every day I could do either lounge breakfast or restaurant breakfast but not both. At this property, the lounge wasn't just down the hall and had a strict rule about removing F&B, so it wouldn't have made sense to try to go to the lounge early for coffee and get breakfast later.

At another hotel (at the time, a StR in Asia), I was told explicitly that I could do both restaurant and lounge breakfast and did (early versus late) once, at no charge.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:17 pm

Of course I held top tier status, but I was told explicitly that every day I could do either lounge breakfast or restaurant breakfast but not both. At this property, the lounge wasn't just down the hall and had a strict rule about removing F&B, so it wouldn't have made sense to try to go to the lounge early for coffee and get breakfast later.

At another hotel (at the time, a StR in Asia), I was told explicitly that I could do both restaurant and lounge breakfast and did (early versus late) once, at no charge.
Were you allowed into the lounge during breakfast hours just not allowed to eat, or was it you cannot enter the lounge during breakfast service hours and then go for breakfast? If so that is stupid as I will often be up several hours before my partner and have a coffee and nibble before going to breakfast together once she is up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.