Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Annual Fee Retention Bonus - Marriott Bonvoy Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Direct Retention # 1-800-452-3945
For earlier discussion focusing on the SPG Amex card view the Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (Pre-May, 2019)

Personal Card Retention Offers:
8/27/2019 -- 20,000 pts for $2000 spend in 3 months, >$15K spend in last year
8/28/2019 -- 20,000 pts for $2000 spend in 3 months,
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver

Called in late April when my annual fee posted, and was given the offer 20K points for 2K spend in 2 months. Took the offer, though I don't use the card much anymore now that point earning is devalued.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:19 pm
mc1

Programs: Marriott AE, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat Pro, United Gold
Annual fee posted on 4/14.
Called in 5/7 (number on the back of the card) and was presented with no offer.
Called back on 5/9 (to the retention dept using the number on the wiki here) and was presented a 5K upfront + 10K points for 1K spend in 3 months offer.
Was cited low engagement in the recent past for the paltry offer. Which is true. I don't use the card much anymore now that point earning is devalued. (1st 7 months I put $15K or so, and then maybe $50 over the last 5 months—really my mistake I should have consistently put a few $100…)

Took the offer, though. Since 16K points is almost worth the $95 AF + a 35K FNC. Good luck to all and I hope this DP helps.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
Got nothing for SPG business card, after mentioning the increase of annual fee from 95 to 125.
If Amex does not have this 5 slot limit, I may keep it for the free cert. I will cancel to free up a slot, when I need another Amex card later this year.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA, SW, VA, Marriott, IHG, HH
I tried chatting on Amex website for retention offer but was given 1-855-857-7657 to call. Didn't have luck with getting anything with that number so I tried the number on front page. Got an offer to keep the card, 2k spend 3 months 20k points. Took it. This is for Marriott Bonvoy/SPG Personal.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Wow... so much better luck calling direct to the retention number in this thread...

SPG Personal, 20k after $2k spend, very very easy and friendly conversion
Then was transferred over to the Business retention side... a little more difficult of a conversation but was finally able to receive 5k points now plus 10k points after $1k spend

That's enough for me to keep both open.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: SPG, MileagePlus,
Bonvoy Business
Weekdays
Call the number back of the card, no offer.(Front line usually see no offer or incompetent) Asked to redirect to retention center - immediately offered 5K upfront + 10K points for 1K spend in 3 months - accepted.

P/S: Don't call on weekend they will direct you to a supervisor at the call center not retention center.
qlaval likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dantrav
Just offered 5000 points now and 10000 points within 90 days if I spend $1,000.
Not amazing, but not too bad considering the low spend requirement. I'd say 15k points are worth ~$100 to me, so I'd probably keep the card for that offer. My AF will post in July so we'll see what the offer in a couple months is.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Just called for retention after the first annual fee for Amex Biz Bonvoy card came up. Spent maybe about $1k more on this card after hitting minimum spend for signup bonus last year. No retention offer or spending bonus. I told her I'll think about it before calling back. Leaning towards closing the card at this moment.

ETA: just called the number list on top of the wiki. She said "not a lot of engagement in the last 10 months". No retention or spending offer. I closed the card.

Last edited by happychic; May 30, 2019 at 3:12 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:52 pm

Member since 2006 with Amex personal Bonvoy/SPG. Called to cancel, offered nothing, so I closed the account.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:59 pm

SPG Personal.

Looking for retention bonus posting timeline DPs. I got the 20,000 points for $2K spend. MS grocery spend and its been over a month with no bonus posting. normal points posted and other MR retention bonuses also posted on other cards with same grocery MS. obv not gonna call about it. but what has been your posting timeline? was it at the end of the spend period or ASAP regardless of statement close? or maybe has to do with grocery MS? i doubt its a simon GC situation, but im wondering.

with all other amex cards, the bonus posts ASAP, so this is a little concerning. also reminds me of past SPG bonus posting issues. i thought that was all fixed by now.

was planning for MS grocery and gas for the spend $100k get 100k bonus points this year too so would like to hear thoughts on this.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Jul 11, 2019 at 3:42 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:18 am

Called on my SPG Personal (now Bonvoy whatever). Was very ready to close the account and after the agent told me of the benefits of the card (which I essentially rebuffed), I was offered 30,000 points for spending $5,000 on the card in the next 90 days. Accepted.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by danpeake
Called on my SPG Personal (now Bonvoy whatever). Was very ready to close the account and after the agent told me of the benefits of the card (which I essentially rebuffed), I was offered 30,000 points for spending $5,000 on the card in the next 90 days. Accepted.
30k points with the new scheme is nothing compared to the old days of SPG/30k.

It's a spit of a retention bonus.....and 5k spending?! i would have immediately cancelled. There's too much stuff out there that's more compelling for that spend (like $500 on $3k spend, FREE annual fee Chase Ink),
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
SPG Business AmEx. No retention offer. Card cancelled after nine years.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Wolverine
30k points with the new scheme is nothing compared to the old days of SPG/30k.

It's a spit of a retention bonus.....and 5k spending?! i would have immediately cancelled. There's too much stuff out there that's more compelling for that spend (like $500 on $3k spend, FREE annual fee Chase Ink),
Funny - I thought about it later that afternoon and came to the same realization that you did. I called back and cancelled.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Called this morning on my personal card. They wouldn't offer anything because I got the retention last year. Think I will switch to one of the new cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.