Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Annual Fee Retention Bonus - Marriott Bonvoy Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Direct Retention # 1-800-452-3945
For earlier discussion focusing on the SPG Amex card view the Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (Pre-May, 2019)

Personal Card Retention Offers:
8/27/2019 -- 20,000 pts for $2000 spend in 3 months, >$15K spend in last year
8/28/2019 -- 20,000 pts for $2000 spend in 3 months,
Print Wikipost

Annual Fee Retention Bonus - Marriott Bonvoy Amex

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2020, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by neony77
Are you guys calling the number on the back of your card or the retention life directly?
I used the one on the back of the card.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 9:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

My husband was offered $50 off the $125 annual fee on his Business AMEX card.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 11:08 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by neony77
Are you guys calling the number on the back of your card or the retention line directly?
I called the number in wikipost. For those that didn't see my other posts about my Bonvoy Amex, it's the business version.

LAX
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Smile Had to call twice

Annual fee posted and called the number on back of card. Explained that with Covid, I was not traveling and asked what could be done for card retention. Agent stated that Amex was not doing anything and hoped I would not cancel. Thanked him and hung up. Next day I called number in the Wiki and stated same. After just a few seconds agent offered 10,000 points with no spend if I would keep card. Seemed reasonable and accepted.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 9:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Personal + business cards: retention separate or together?

Not sure it matters, but in case it does:

Should we ask for retention offers on both cards in the same call if we have the personal and also the business card? I haven’t called for retention in at least 3-4 years because the free night always made it worthwhile so I didn’t bother.

Or if it’s one at a time, does it matter which one we go for first, to increase chances we get an offer on both? I assume once you receive an offer it’s in your record.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Found the $50 Customer Appreciation offer in my Business card. (No retention offer last year when it had an ongoing 6 months spend bonus offer I was doing at the time). Offer is not anything you can add, rather than the "Learn More" screen. I made a screen shot on the offer listing page (has the BonVoy card number on the right hand top corner) and the Learn More screen (do not have card number)

Do not see the same offer in my husband's Business card (he got 3K pts last year IIRC, we did not do his spend bonus offer.).

So indeed, not everyone gets the $50 credit.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:42 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
nothing for per or biz
they did offer 50$ for biz after some time but $75 af for a biz cc with a 35K certificate is just not worth it in todays environment.
cardmember since old spg 1999
no retention offer in last 2 years either,
retention agreed that most cardmembers canceling were complaining about marriott point inflation and mostly canceling for that reason. she was frustrated but claimed she was helpless.

Last edited by frank_10b; Oct 5, 2020 at 11:53 am
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:56 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by alfrie
Annual fee $125 hit Amex Bonvoy Biz Card. Called and was told after paying annual fee I would receive an automatic email about $50 appreciation credit. It sounded like it was for everyone and part of this year's COVID response.
I was also told when i called about biz cc that the $50 was automatic a few weeks after renewal. but still at $75 didnt seem worth it, esp when I have ritz cc.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by frank_10b
retention agreed that most cardmembers canceling were complaining about marriott point inflation and mostly canceling for that reason. she was frustrated but claimed she was helpless.
I really hope more people do that as other than low end locations where room rates don't exceed $150, it's hard to use up the free night cert. Why would I put up with all the hassle if I can't even save $50. I can just use cash and not be locked in to staying at a marriott property.

I closed 2 Marriott cards this year and kept one due to a good retention bonus. I will drop that next year as well. I will be free from marriott.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I closed 2 Marriott cards this year and kept one due to a good retention bonus. I will drop that next year as well. I will be free from marriott.
If you haven't yet gotten 600 nights and ten years of Platinum status to earn Marriott Bonv°y Lifetime Platinum Elite, having one business and one personal credit card will give you 30 nights per year toward that endpoint.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:25 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
If you haven't yet gotten 600 nights and ten years of Platinum status to earn Marriott Bonv°y Lifetime Platinum Elite, having one business and one personal credit card will give you 30 nights per year toward that endpoint.
That's until Marriott decides to change the rules again, though.

LAX
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
This has not been on my radar at all. Maybe something to think about but my head is exploding. I don't plan to stay at Marriott properties because it's not easy to earn points with CCs. I mostly use Hilton, Hyatt and Airbnb type accommodations. I found that you can book vacation rental accommodation with the property management company to avoid avoid the atrocious fees and terrible customer service of Airbnb. It has worked well in Italy, Wyoming, UT, CO so far.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 4:04 pm

Between when I paid the annual fee last year to now, I've spent less than $1000 on the Business card. I called the number on the back and the first agent immediately transferred me to an account manager when I said I wanted to close the account. The account manager offered me 15,000 points immediately (no spend needed) and an additional 15,000 points after $2000 in spend within 3 months.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 6:16 pm

Not really sure where to ask this question so I am asking it here (mods please move if needed). I have had the Bonvoy personal card (formerly SPG Amex) card for 12+ years now and it is my oldest Amex card. My AF posted a few days ago, called in and was not given any offers. Since migrating away from SPG this card has seen very little use and a major reason for me to hold onto this card is due to it being my oldest Amex card. I do have other Amex cards that I got later (OBC etc) whose opening date was backdated to the year I opened my SPG card (when Amex was still doing this), does anyone know if my history with Amex is preserved back to that date even if I close my oldest card with them? If it does, I can come up with very little reason to continue to keep this card at $95 AF and it is my understanding that it cannot be downgraded to any no fee card. Appreciate any input, thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2020, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
X-Posting this from the Amex forum, I got 20k Bonvoy points with no spend req on my 2nd anniversary BonvOy Brilliant card. Virtually no spend in the past year, like $4k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.