Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AC Hotel Barcelona Forum OR Renaissance Barcenola Fira Hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Hello Fellow Bonvyers!

I'm a Bonvoy Titanium Memeber and I have 5 eCeritifcates to use. I'm planning a 5 Day trip in Barcenola and I can't decide between these two hotels. I will be booking by points so the difference is 40,000 to get the Renaissance. I've never been to Barcenola so I'm concerned about location to everything, size of the room and breakfast/amenities
Thank you!

Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I’ve not done the ac but stayed at both Renaissance’s.

The two renaissances are both nice. One downtown in far superior location but fira hotel is far superior. In fact the Fira hotel is one of the cooler city hotels I’ve been at. Fira hotel is my preferred hotel from a hotel perspective. Easy access to the city via taxi or subway

if between ac or Fira I’d go for Fira
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: RDM AS 100K - 1MM / DL DM - 3MM / Marriott Ambassador - Lifetime Titanium Elite
We stayed at the Cotton House in October of last year. It was well located and beautiful.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
I've stayed at both. The AC is as expected, simpler than the Fira. Fira is definitely more of a party crowd with a great rooftop pool/bar.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
If you haven't booked yet, I would go to Lisbon instead - the food is 10 times better and a third the price, and in my view is superior to Barcelona in every way possible.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The Renaissance Fira you'll get free breakfast buffet for two and likely a room upgrade as long as they aren't packed from a convention at the nearby congress center.
Yes the Ren Fira isn't in the middle of the city, however it is a couple minute walk to the subway station which is an easy couple stops on any train to the major Espanya station. There is a nearby mall with variety of decent restaurants around there also. Rooftop bar is great.

AC Forum is a little plainer for rooms but they do actually have some nicer ones unlike your typical AC, so it is possible for an upgrade. Won't get free breakfast there, just something like a 10Eur credit which won't get you too far.
Also near a subway stop that can get you to the port olympic area and barcelonetta/beach area without too much trouble.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I think my decision is for the AC because the Fira is sold out on one of the days and I don't want to switch hotels and not get my 5th night free. I'll keep checking to see if something opens up if not I'll be at the AC using the suite upgrade certificate.

Next time I'll book both and cancel one... lesson learned.

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
If you haven't booked yet, I would go to Lisbon instead - the food is 10 times better and a third the price, and in my view is superior to Barcelona in every way possible.
​​​​​​​Lisbon is my next trip!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
The two have numerous similarities: they both cater to a conference/business crowd, neither is near city center, both are near the subway and a fairly quick ride to the center of Barcelona, both are near a mall, both have rooftop pools, both have views of La Sagrada Familia.

On the other hand, the Fira is definitely more stylish and higher end than the AC. The AC is nearer to the beach, and the Fira is super convenient to the airport. There are more choices for eating near the AC, but both are a fairly short ride into the city center by taxi or subway.

It sounds like your trip may be leisure and not business, so I think perhaps you'll enjoy the Fira more. If you are going this summer during the busy season, both might be better choices than crowded city center hotels. Have fun!
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daloosh
The two have numerous similarities: they both cater to a conference/business crowd, neither is near city center, both are near the subway and a fairly quick ride to the center of Barcelona, both are near a mall, both have rooftop pools, both have views of La Sagrada Familia.

On the other hand, the Fira is definitely more stylish and higher end than the AC. The AC is nearer to the beach, and the Fira is super convenient to the airport. There are more choices for eating near the AC, but both are a fairly short ride into the city center by taxi or subway.

It sounds like your trip may be leisure and not business, so I think perhaps you'll enjoy the Fira more. If you are going this summer during the busy season, both might be better choices than crowded city center hotels. Have fun!

Thank you Daloosh!
You are correct it's a 5 days vacation and 5 days prior in South of France.
One good point that I didn't think about is the hotel location to BCN airport. Fira is much closer.

Last edited by tilhas; Jul 25, 2019 at 1:00 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I spent a week at the Fira a couple years ago and had a fantastic stay. We always made time to spend an hour in the afternoon at the rooftop pool. The breakfast was top-notch. They honored elite benefits for 2 rooms, 3 adults, 2 kids with no issues at all. Hotel itself is distinctive...we had one room that was entirely white and one that was entirely black. I found that a little weird, but my kids still talk about this place probably more than any vacation hotel we've ever stayed in.

The rooftop has spectacular views of all of Barcelona. It's a truly fascinating place and a great choice at its category.

In most European cities, I love being able to wake up and walk outside into the heart of the city. You don't have that vibe here - you're walking outside and right into a metro station to get to the city center. But it was worth it to us and besides, we didn't have the category certificate we would have needed for the Cottom House or other top properties in the city.

I've stayed in a couple AC's in Spain and am personally not a big fan for a longer stay where I want to have some fun. They seem to be a serviceable, bland business hotel. Nothing like the atmosphere of a good Renaissance. But I can't speak to the ACs in Barcelona.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Woohoo I got myself a reservation at the Fira hotel but they don't seem to take Suite Upgrade Certificates... Bummer
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by tilhas
Woohoo I got myself a reservation at the Fira hotel but they don't seem to take Suite Upgrade Certificates... Bummer
Congrats! Hopefully, they will extend an upgrade to you as an elite. We stayed at the Hotel Arts Barcelona earlier this year, and were lucky to receive an upgrade as Platinum to a lovely one bedroom suite.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

Lisbon is my next trip!
Nice - I'm not a big Europe fan (if not for the Wife I would travel exclusively to Asia) - but Lisbon is amazing and so incredibly cheap.

​​​​​​​Enjoy Barcelona!!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:26 pm

EDIT: Nevermind, you are using points - the fact you said "Ecertificates" confounded me!!

Hello Fellow Bonvyers!

I'm a Bonvoy Titanium Memeber and I have 5 eCeritifcates to use. I'm planning a 5 Day trip in Barcenola and I can't decide between these two hotels. I will be booking by points so the difference is 40,000 to get the Renaissance. I've never been to Barcenola so I'm concerned about location to everything, size of the room and breakfast/amenities
Not to hijack this thread anymore than I already have - but if you are staying for 5 days, why not use points so you get one day free? I would never use 5 eCertificates in a row if I had points available - unless they were on the verge of expiring and I had no other stays. I think that if you do the math, you will see that points make a lot more sense in this scenario. Just assuming you have points given your Tit status!!

Last edited by Tedgrrrr; Jul 25, 2019 at 7:25 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for all the confusion. I'm booking with Air Canada and using Ecertificates... confused myself lol

I'm booking the 5 nights on points and getting the 5th night free. I was trying to use Suite Night Upgrade Awards to try getting a suite at this location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.