Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How does a points stay become detached from the underlying account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver

I’m aware of all the IT problems with the merger but they haven’t affected me so far.

I stayed recently as a Titanium member at a London Marriott group hotel. The 3-night stay was booked with points.

First sign of of problems was the lack of upgrade on the app after check-in; usually at this hotel the upgrade shows as a changed room type on the morning of arrival. Next was a prolonged check-in while the clerk tried to connect my Bonvoy account with the reservation. he then tried to look for an upgrade but could only come up with an upgrade to a King room (from a queen) with limited natural light. On his advice I declined.

I then had difficulty accessing the club using the pre-cut keys given to me. They were re-cut to give me access without problems. The club access problems recurred next morning and were resolved with new keys cut by a clerk who recognised the problem from the previous day.

I’m now 7 days post-check out and haven’t been given the 3 nights’ credit nor the 1000 point welcome amenity. I didn’t insist on a printed bill as this property normally emails and I had a zero cash bill.

How can a reward stay not credit as it was paid from a Bonvoy account? I now need to contact the property for a copy of the folio and then arrange manual credit. Frustration is not the word!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:56 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bd95
I’m aware of all the IT problems with the merger but they haven’t affected me so far.

I stayed recently as a Titanium member at a London Marriott group hotel. The 3-night stay was booked with points.

First sign of of problems was the lack of upgrade on the app after check-in; usually at this hotel the upgrade shows as a changed room type on the morning of arrival. Next was a prolonged check-in while the clerk tried to connect my Bonvoy account with the reservation. he then tried to look for an upgrade but could only come up with an upgrade to a King room (from a queen) with limited natural light. On his advice I declined.

I then had difficulty accessing the club using the pre-cut keys given to me. They were re-cut to give me access without problems. The club access problems recurred next morning and were resolved with new keys cut by a clerk who recognised the problem from the previous day.

I’m now 7 days post-check out and haven’t been given the 3 nights’ credit nor the 1000 point welcome amenity. I didn’t insist on a printed bill as this property normally emails and I had a zero cash bill.

How can a reward stay not credit as it was paid from a Bonvoy account? I now need to contact the property for a copy of the folio and then arrange manual credit. Frustration is not the word!
Once again I'm reminded that best practice is to ALWAYS ask for a printed bill.
WillBarrett_68 and Happy like this.

Last edited by stc; Jul 23, 2019 at 1:59 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold, WN CP, Alaska MVP

I ran into two instances of $0 bill stays not receiving credit. I now make a small charge to the room like a drink or something and since doing that my points stays now receive credit and arrival points. This is not ideal, but saves me multiple phone calls.

Regarding upgrades, if you are talking about using suite night awards my understanding is that they are not eligible for point stays. Other than that, I sometime see the app update with my upgraded room type but sometimes I do not.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by TurboT
I ran into two instances of $0 bill stays not receiving credit. I now make a small charge to the room like a drink or something and since doing that my points stays now receive credit and arrival points. This is not ideal, but saves me multiple phone calls.
I had a recent $0.00 bill stay at an Autograph Collection hotel in Spokane. Asked for and received a $0.00 bill folio at checkout. The elite night posted the next day along with the allowable points for status.

Sounds like it's a property issue in submitting the folio for processing.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by TurboT

Regarding upgrades, if you are talking about using suite night awards my understanding is that they are not eligible for point stays. Other than that, I sometime see the app update with my upgraded room type but sometimes I do not.
I don't think OP was talking about SNAs, but your statement about using SNA on award reservations is incorrect. I've used mine multiple times on award stays and as a matter of fact my SNA for a points stay at the St Regis FLR just cleared today.

I think OP should count himself lucky that he hasn't had any issues with Marriott IT to date, and it's only fair that he experience what the rest of us have experienced multiple times since the merger. Welcome to the club.
UA-NYC, supatight80 and Happy like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold, WN CP, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I don't think OP was talking about SNAs, but your statement about using SNA on award reservations is incorrect. I've used mine multiple times on award stays and as a matter of fact my SNA for a points stay at the St Regis FLR just cleared today.

I think OP should count himself lucky that he hasn't had any issues with Marriott IT to date, and it's only fair that he experience what the rest of us have experienced multiple times since the merger. Welcome to the club.
Guess I am just unlucky with my property selections. Thanks for clarifying!
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Thanks!

And yes, was talking only about Titanium upgrade. Mostly the app shows original room type at check in, then it changes at some point on day of arrival to the upgraded room category which is how I usually know I’ve been upgraded.

I usually ask for printed folios but on most occasions I receive a pdf by email immediately on check out. Of course, the one time I don’t is the time it doesn’t credit.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Just to follow-up, I asked the hotel if they could send me a copy of the folio to claim the stay and they replied attaching a blank folio with an email stating that they don't produce folios for stays without a charge and that stay credit could not be applied. They would however ask Bonvoy to credit the 1000 elite amenity points. I replied querying this.

In the meantime I sent the blank folio with a claim for stay credit and got a reply within 2 hours to say that the stay had already been credited! And lo and behold it had. Bizarre.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler

Thanks!

And yes, was talking only about Titanium upgrade. Mostly the app shows original room type at check in, then it changes at some point on day of arrival to the upgraded room category which is how I usually know I’ve been upgraded.

I usually ask for printed folios but on most occasions I receive a pdf by email immediately on check out. Of course, the one time I don’t is the time it doesn’t credit.
Like many (perhaps most) folks, I prefer electronic folios; however, I always need a folio printed or electronic for all stays. So my rule of thumb since Marriott has gone to primarily e-Folios is if I received a preliminary e-Folio via email the morning of checkout, I am fine just doing e-checkout and leaving the hotel. If I don't receive the preliminary e-Folio via email the morning of checkout, than I checkout the old fashion way at the front desk and request a printed folio. Most of the time I do receive e-Folios without issue even from the properties that don't send out the preliminary versions. Hard to quantify but < %5 of the time I don't receive an e-Folio and am glad I requested the printed one. Furthermore, for the properties where I don't receive an e-Folio via email, I frequently can't download it from the MR web site even after the stay posts. YMMV....

--Jon
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Like many (perhaps most) folks, I prefer electronic folios; however, I always need a folio printed or electronic for all stays. So my rule of thumb since Marriott has gone to primarily e-Folios is if I received a preliminary e-Folio via email the morning of checkout, I am fine just doing e-checkout and leaving the hotel. If I don't receive the preliminary e-Folio via email the morning of checkout, than I checkout the old fashion way at the front desk and request a printed folio. Most of the time I do receive e-Folios without issue even from the properties that don't send out the preliminary versions. Hard to quantify but < %5 of the time I don't receive an e-Folio and am glad I requested the printed one. Furthermore, for the properties where I don't receive an e-Folio via email, I frequently can't download it from the MR web site even after the stay posts. YMMV....

--Jon
This is my usual policy but on this occasion I let it slip as I confirmed there was nothing to pay and I thought that in the past this hotel had sent folios immediately after check out by email without delay.

If I'm feeling like saving paper I'll decline the offer of an envelope for the printed folio!

I have never been able to download it from the Bonvoy website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.