Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Any point complaining about hotels not honoring benefits anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold

Stayed at Fairfield Allentown West. Asked for 4 p.m. late check-out because my work needed me (I'm Titanium). Was told by manager on duty the best she can do is 2:30 p.m. because her house keeping staff doesn't work after 4 p.m., and they are fully-booked the next day and needed every room. I asked they should honor all benefits, and she just brushed me off. I've only stayed because it's pre-paid and my past complaints about other Marriott properties not honoring benefits or been treated in a wrongful matter has gotten nothing but a token "thanks for contacting, we will investigate", and follow up emails are promptly ignored, i.e., good luck trying to get my money back. Seems like Marriott corporate pretty much is letting the hotels get away with any and all things short of murder. This would of never happened in the old SPG days. I can trust them to handle any and all complaints with satisfactory resolutions and if warranted, proper compensation.

As great as SPG has treated me in the past, it's really disappointing under the Marriott banner. Benefits are not being honored, wrongful treatments getting no resolutions. Seriously thinking about just taking my business to Hyatt (I'm already Hilton Diamond, I was going to move some of my Hilton spending to Marriott to try for Ambassador, so glad I didn't). Also my $200,000+ annual AMEX Bonvoy spending to equivalent Hyatt credit card.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I have stayed one night in a Marriott since April 6... And 30 nights in Hyatt since then vs 0 all of last year.

I've had to be fair fabulous experiences on marriott properties since merger but horrible customer support and IT. Just horrible.

Hyatt program is great but there are too few properties. I've stayed at them in Qatar, HK, Thailand last few months and enjoyed program immensely.

It is going to take Arne or someone of a similar level to sit down with me to make me try to be loyal again to Marriott. I'll stay but never be loyal or go out of my way unless something massive changes
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
[Never mind.]
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
What’s the compensation for not honouring the guaranteed 4pm checkout? Until there is one I doubt most properties will care.

tbh if I was offered an alternative or some sort of recompense (free drinks while I use the bar for a couple hours etc) then I might not complain but it’s when properties shrug and just say sorry.

FYI late checkout at Hilton properties is hit and miss as it gets.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
What’s the compensation for not honouring the guaranteed 4pm checkout?

I think there is no cash compensation like the other guaranteed benefits.
The lack of late check-out benefts being honoured is mostly a USA problem mostly cause they limit the hours their maids/cleaners work.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Yes. If we don't tell them, how can we expect them to know that a) it's happening, and b) we don't like it.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium
Yes, definitely tell them.

I had that issue at a Springhill Suites location. I got offered 12:30 as a Titanium member even after politely mentioning Marriott's policy. It was also very obvious that the lady at the front desk got up on the wrong side of the bed for the past two days as she was quite grumpy every time I spoke with her during my stay.

I called corporate and mentioned the issue to them and I was compensated with some points and I recieved a call from the hotel manager within the hour.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Marriott has a partial out in their T&Cs for the 'guarantee late checkout...
Guaranteed 4 p.m. late checkout, subject to availability at resort and convention hotels.
In typical Marriott fashion there is no indication of what counts as a 'convention' or 'resort' hotel.

Yes I would submit a complaint. Many hotels get away with not honoring benefits with no or an invalid reason. Time to start holding them to it.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
Marriott has a partial out in their T&Cs for the 'guarantee late checkout...

In typical Marriott fashion there is no indication of what counts as a 'convention' or 'resort' hotel.

Yes I would submit a complaint. Many hotels get away with not honoring benefits with no or an invalid reason. Time to start holding them to it.
That seems like a pretty clear out for those properties actually. I think most of them will have "resort" or "convention center" in the name, although I'm sure there are some exceptions. But I don't believe a FI, as in the OP's case, should ever fall under one of those categories.

I actually had the opposite experience at a FI in San Antonio. I politely requested a late checkout, later in the day after I had checked in. The FDC said "let me see if we can do anything". She pulled up my reservation and said (paraphrased) "oh, with your status you don't need to ask, just let us know what time".

IMO, Marriott's biggest advantage, especially for business travelers, is the consistency we can expect. So if a property isn't following a rule, I'd definitely let them know, and I'd very nicely put it in terms of what I value as a business traveler and how that impacts where I decide to stay.
SacTownGuy, strickerj and ryw like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by junglematt
Yes, definitely tell them.

I had that issue at a Springhill Suites location. I got offered 12:30 as a Titanium member even after politely mentioning Marriott's policy. It was also very obvious that the lady at the front desk got up on the wrong side of the bed for the past two days as she was quite grumpy every time I spoke with her during my stay.

I called corporate and mentioned the issue to them and I was compensated with some points and I recieved a call from the hotel manager within the hour.
How did the hotel manager respond?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Similar for me at Springhill Suites Navarre Beach. On a stay last year, would only give 1:30. On a stay this year, eventually did get 4 pm, but it took several visits to the front desk, with multiple staff there telling be that late checkout was based on availability.

After the stay, I contacted the lurkers. They just forwarded the complaint to the hotel. The front desk manager replied to me that "Our hotel does honor 4pm checkouts, when available. This is not based on housekeeping, but on our occupancy levels." I passed that reply back to the lurkers, who sent it to the "Loyalty Performance" team. But that was about three weeks ago, and silence since.

I'm not looking for compensation; I just want confidence that if I return in the future, I'll be able to get a 4 pm checkout without a hassle. When I stay there, it's on a reward stay (so no elite bonus points earned), the hotel is usually sold out (so no upgrade), and as a SH, everyone gets breakfast anyway. So the late checkout is pretty much the only elite benefit available. And on a weekend stay, a 4pm checkout is the difference between getting two days on the beach or only just one.
peroorim and AbyssalLoris like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rylan
Not unless you count the Marriott webpage listing them

Marriott Convention & Resort Network
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not unless you count the Marriott webpage listing them

Marriott Convention & Resort Network
Worth noting that every hotel listed there is a brand in the Luxury, Premium, or Collections category. No Select or Longer Stay properties are included. There's no such thing as a Springhill Resort or a Courtyard Convention hotel.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Stayed at Fairfield Allentown West. Asked for 4 p.m. late check-out because my work needed me (I'm Titanium). Was told by manager on duty the best she can do is 2:30 p.m. because her house keeping staff doesn't work after 4 p.m., and they are fully-booked the next day and needed every room. I asked they should honor all benefits, and she just brushed me off.
Did you escalate to GM? What was their response?
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Stayed at Fairfield Allentown West. Asked for 4 p.m. late check-out because my work needed me (I'm Titanium). Was told by manager on duty the best she can do is 2:30 p.m. because her house keeping staff doesn't work after 4 p.m., and they are fully-booked the next day and needed every room. I asked they should honor all benefits, and she just brushed me off. I've only stayed because it's pre-paid and my past complaints about other Marriott properties not honoring benefits or been treated in a wrongful matter has gotten nothing but a token "thanks for contacting, we will investigate", and follow up emails are promptly ignored, i.e., good luck trying to get my money back. Seems like Marriott corporate pretty much is letting the hotels get away with any and all things short of murder. This would of never happened in the old SPG days. I can trust them to handle any and all complaints with satisfactory resolutions and if warranted, proper compensation.

As great as SPG has treated me in the past, it's really disappointing under the Marriott banner. Benefits are not being honored, wrongful treatments getting no resolutions. Seriously thinking about just taking my business to Hyatt (I'm already Hilton Diamond, I was going to move some of my Hilton spending to Marriott to try for Ambassador, so glad I didn't). Also my $200,000+ annual AMEX Bonvoy spending to equivalent Hyatt credit card.
Absolutely complain about this. I've had this same issue a number of times, most often in small select service properties as you mention in more suburban/rural areas. When I point out that 4pm check-out should be guaranteed for Plat+, I'm usually escalated to the manager on duty. On only one occasion, I was still declined and immediately called the platinum line and explained the situation. They put me on hold and contacted the property directly, after about a 5 minute hold the agent came back and confirmed they had arranged for a 4pm check out. Since then, that is my usual process for handling this sort of nonsense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.