Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Any point complaining about hotels not honoring benefits anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any point complaining about hotels not honoring benefits anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:38 am

At least for Marriott, 4 pm late checkout for Plats is guaranteed (stipulated in writing). Hence onus is on the hotel to justify why they can't accommodate that, be complained against and hopefully be correct their practice after being put in their place by corporate.

In contrast with Hilton, where late checkout is never a guaranteed benefit but "subject to the hotel's discretion" - yes, even for Diamonds. I've pleaded with Doubletree KL for late checkout twice, and on both times 1 pm was the latest they'd accommodate, that too after much clacking of the keyboard and reluctance. As for Hilton London Bankside, I was first told to inquire the night before and told they could only extend to 2 pm... when I inquired the very morning itself, I was told only 3 pm... finally at noon, I checked again and only then was extended to 4 pm.

So now, if I know beforehand that I definitely need extended checkout for whatever reason, I'd still choose Marriott over Hilton.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
At least for Marriott, 4 pm late checkout for Plats is guaranteed (stipulated in writing). Hence onus is on the hotel to justify why they can't accommodate that, be complained against and hopefully be correct their practice after being put in their place by corporate.

In contrast with Hilton, where late checkout is never a guaranteed benefit but "subject to the hotel's discretion" - yes, even for Diamonds. I've pleaded with Doubletree KL for late checkout twice, and on both times 1 pm was the latest they'd accommodate, that too after much clacking of the keyboard and reluctance. As for Hilton London Bankside, I was first told to inquire the night before and told they could only extend to 2 pm... when I inquired the very morning itself, I was told only 3 pm... finally at noon, I checked again and only then was extended to 4 pm.

So now, if I know beforehand that I definitely need extended checkout for whatever reason, I'd still choose Marriott over Hilton.
Agreed, this is why I can never seriously consider Hilton in most cases.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Possibly the only reason I'm staying with Marriott because of their guaranteed 4 p.m. check-out. But, if they have shown they will tolerate hotels of not honoring that benefit, then I can rearrange my business schedule, with another chain.
EuropeanPete and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
One component to this not to be forgotten is that Marriott clearly does not see the value in 4 PM Guaranteed late check out the same way that SPG did.

Remember that Preferred Plus, Gold, and Platinum members with SPG used to ALL receive guaranteed 4 PM late checkouts except at properties which were listed very transparently. While once in a while you might have to encourage a front desk slightly, by in large this was an extremely extremely benefit to use.

As soon as Marriott came in, they started making this benefit more difficult. And, at that point, I began to become less loyal to Marriott. Some years I was Platinum, other years I was Gold, based on stays. When I realized this would no longer be a guaranteed benefit to me, I began shifting some of my stays over to Hyatt, where I knew I could get a 2PM late checkout if I was at least discoverist.

To those who say “many people game the system by having Amex card benefits, etc.” keep in mind that SPG offered these same benefits to cardholders for years. And I think personally, it was money tremendously well spent.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by cfabar1
One component to this not to be forgotten is that Marriott clearly does not see the value in 4 PM Guaranteed late check out the same way that SPG did.

Remember that Preferred Plus, Gold, and Platinum members with SPG used to ALL receive guaranteed 4 PM late checkouts except at properties which were listed very transparently. While once in a while you might have to encourage a front desk slightly, by in large this was an extremely extremely benefit to use.

As soon as Marriott came in, they started making this benefit more difficult. And, at that point, I began to become less loyal to Marriott. Some years I was Platinum, other years I was Gold, based on stays. When I realized this would no longer be a guaranteed benefit to me, I began shifting some of my stays over to Hyatt, where I knew I could get a 2PM late checkout if I was at least discoverist.

To those who say “many people game the system by having Amex card benefits, etc.” keep in mind that SPG offered these same benefits to cardholders for years. And I think personally, it was money tremendously well spent.
In fairness, a hotel can only give 4 PM checkout to so many guests. Platinum at Marriott is really easy to get so its not surprising they are limiting it to Platinum and above.

Additionally, SPG, like Hyatt, needed/needs "something," because of its limited footprint:
EuropeanPete, KRSW and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1

As soon as Marriott came in, they started making this benefit more difficult.

[...]
I have never been denied a late check-out to 4:00 pm with one exception. If I need a later check-out I request a time that is appropriate for my plans. I don't automatically request 4:00 pm unless I really need it. I have had no issues with The Sheraton Bougenvilias or the Westin in Puerto Vallarta, both resorts, getting 4:00 pm check-outs.

In a pre-arrival email from the Renaissance LAX for an overnight stay prior to a late evening flight to Asia, I requested a room with an airport view and confirmed a 4:00 pm check-out. In reply, I was upgraded to a full suite with Airport Views and offered a 6:00 pm check-out. The keycard was appropriately coded and noted by the FDC upon arrival.

The only exception was the Sheraton Seattle. I stayed there one night and needed the 4:00 pm check-out. As a Platinum Premier, post acquisition, pre merger, they were happy to upgrade me to a suite, if and only if, I was willing to forego the "guaranteed" 4:00 pm check-out and vacate at noon. If I stayed in a standard room I could stay untill 4:00 pm. I stayed in the standard room. In essence, I stayed there twice the same day; my first time & my last time.

At the Sheraton DFW, I was reluctantly given a 4 pm check-out upon request, but felt like a criminal when they started hounding me at 3:30 to vacate. I was in the shower with the Do not Disturb sign out yet they knocked anyway, moments later the phone rang but I could not answer. By 3:50 they called the room to see if they should charge me for another night. At 4:07 when I left the room (would have been sooner if they weren't hounding me), the head of housekeeping was approaching. As I passed by her, I received the coldest dirtiest look, I returned the favour. Apparently they were all booked up but were happy to extend my stay and charge for another day. ; (

For me, no issues with Marriott properties, only pmSPG have failed me. With nearly 7000 properties in the portfolio, there are bound to be some bad apples. If one leaves a bad taste in your mouth, I toss it aside and select a different one. It doesn't mean that the entire bin is tasteless. If one prefers to move from apples to pears because of a bad apple, there will be bad pears in that bin too.

James
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:56 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
In my experience, the 4pm late checkout has been one of the more consistently delivered benefits. My late checkout requests (often between 1-3pm) have never been denied (sans a convention property, which I think said they could do 2pm when I asked for 3pm).

Ive had mixed experiences about how proactive they are - some properties don’t seem to get the mobile
app check in request while others do; some FDCs ask proactively while other times I have to ask or call (both at select service and full service properties).
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Update:

I've make my case to Marriott as many people have said I should do, and as I have said in my first post, it ended up to be worthless, surprise surprise.

1) Got a robotic reply: thanks for sending your email, we'll look into it.
2) Got a representative reply: we've contacted the hotel, and they will get back to you soon.
3) Nothing for weeks
4) Wrote both to the representative and the hotel for update and resolution, NOTHING.

Yep, like I've said, is there any point in complaining and expecting any types of resolution from Marriott? No.

I've already stayed with Marriott for 87 nights this year, was going for Ambassador, silly me. Hyatt here I come.
Tanic, EuropeanPete and KRSW like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Update:

I've make my case to Marriott as many people have said I should do, and as I have said in my first post, it ended up to be worthless, surprise surprise.

1) Got a robotic reply: thanks for sending your email, we'll look into it.
2) Got a representative reply: we've contacted the hotel, and they will get back to you soon.
3) Nothing for weeks
4) Wrote both to the representative and the hotel for update and resolution, NOTHING.

Yep, like I've said, is there any point in complaining and expecting any types of resolution from Marriott? No.

I've already stayed with Marriott for 87 nights this year, was going for Ambassador, silly me. Hyatt here I come.
That's unfortunate. On my recent complaint about a specific property, I had received very positive support from the Marriott Team.
The rep assigned to me is very efficient to contact the property, put me on CC in an email and spoke on my behalf to "investigate" my claims; the GM would write back very quickly to offer compensation points to mend the business relationship.

I usually tend to not expect more out of the lower tier brands such as courtyards/fairfield/four points or lower portfolios; they are often very limited in manpower and capabilities. But when I get poor recognition of elite benefits in the premium flag carrying brands or higher, I'll would never hold back to reach out to the manager/supervisors to feedback and they always seem to be trained to entertain complaints better and generally do put in an effort to improve. It might prove that management at higher tier brands give their managers more empowerment to provide service recovery offers such as points of credit reimbursement more easily than lower portfolios.

Then again, this is just my experience and observation.. 30 brands is alot of hotels and I'm sure there are black sheeps here and there.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:01 am

Reach out to the Lurker team.. They seem to know how to get things in front of the proper people.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Benefits of Hyatt @60 nights far outweigh Marriott @100...
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:48 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Benefits of Hyatt @60 nights far outweigh Marriott @100...
Ah, no.

Actually, there isn't much benefit at Hyatt when there isn't a Hyatt hotel in the first place (not counting lame Hyatt House and Hyatt Place hotels, mind you). Like too many locations to name.

Actually, there isn't as much benefit at Hyatt when the Hyatt option isn't nearly as good as that of Bonvoy. Like way too many cities and other resort locations to name.

Actually, Hyatt Gloablist don't get pre-upgraded very often; they have to wait until arrival to see if they can get upgraded to a suite. Bonvoy Ambassadors often get pre-upgraded now to suites, especially at the better hotels that have more suites. For example, I'm already pre-upgraded NOW (since July actually) on an October award stay at the Prince de Galles Paris to a Macassar Suite. That suite category is beyond the standard suite pool, too.

So congrats on getting your slightly better breakfast where you find a Hyatt option. But in almost everyplace I want, there's a Bonvoy option or two (or more) that are wildly better hotels in the first place than any of the few (if any) Hyatt options.

But I'm most happy to watch the Fairfield patrons move to Hyatt and learn that there just aren't enough Hyatt House and Hyatt Place options to even compare with Fairfield, SpringHill Suites, TownHill Suite, Element, Residence Inn, Courtyard, and Four Points.

Nice try. But no dice.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
28 nights of confirmed advance upgrades
no resort fees
free parking on award stays
best breakfast benefit
Guest of Honor

yes, objectively, they are better. Not even close. And easier to achieve too.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:28 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
28 nights of confirmed advance upgrades
no resort fees
free parking on award stays
best breakfast benefit
Guest of Honor

I'm delighted Hyatt works for you. But it sucks for most people who don't only stay in major metro areas. And Globalist at 60 nights Hyatt certainly isn't as amazing as Ambassador at 100 nights Bonvoy is!

My Ambassador year with Marriott Bonvoy:

Already 90+ nights with suite upgrades, including numerous specialty suites not part of standard suite pool

Already over 40 nights in locations with no good Hyatt options (Providence RI, New Haven CT, Santa Barbara CA, Half Moon Bay CA, Richmond VA, Chapel Hill NC, Charlotte NC, etc)

Tons more aspirational properties, most of which are among the best in class in each location--something Hyatt cannot match (the list is too long to bother!)

Resort fees paid on about half of stays that had them (but suite upgrade value more than paid for those)

Parking included in AAA rates and paid on rare award stays where we didn't use Uber/taxis

Breakfast benefit for us was great almost everwhere, including all the places with no good Hyatt option (it's just an egg white omelette with some fillings that I want, and it's always offered...but rarely for room service--Hyatt does have that on Bonvoy!)

Guest of Honor doesn't help much when there's no Hyatt option I like!

Oops.

yes, objectively, they are better. Not even close. And easier to achieve too.
Objectively better? Not quite. There are better guaranteed benefits...because there are so few options relative to the competition. But I can get all of the same benefits except no award resort fees or parking almost everywhere. Hyatt elites can't.

Easier to achieve? Not if you don't stay in exactly the Hyatt limited footprint. Nice try again.

Also, for anyone wanting aspirational properties, Hyatt doesn't remotely come close to Bonvoy. Even in the sparse locations where Hyatt has a Park Hyatt, some of them are stunningly disappointing or overrated (New York, Tokyo, Mendoza, Melbourne, Aviara, Hamburg, Bangkok, Dubai). Few St Regis are overrated in the same way. And there are so few Andaz as to wonder that they don't compare to even the top half of W and Edition.
Twickenham likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 17, 2019 at 12:38 pm
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'm delighted Hyatt works for you. But it sucks for most people who don't only stay in major metro areas. And Globalist at 60 nights Hyatt certainly isn't as amazing as Ambassador at 100 nights Bonvoy is!

My Ambassador year with Marriott Bonvoy:

Already 90+ nights with suite upgrades, including numerous specialty suites not part of standard suite pool

Already over 40 nights in locations with no good Hyatt options (Providence RI, New Haven CT, Santa Barbara CA, Half Moon Bay CA, Richmond VA, Chapel Hill NC, Charlotte NC, etc)

Tons more aspirational properties, most of which are among the best in class in each location--something Hyatt cannot match (the list is too long to bother!)

Resort fees paid on about half of stays that had them (but suite upgrade value more than paid for those)

Parking included in AAA rates and paid on rare award stays where we didn't use Uber/taxis

Breakfast benefit for us was great almost everwhere, including all the places with no good Hyatt option (it's just an egg white omelette with some fillings that I want, and it's always offered...but rarely for room service--Hyatt does have that on Bonvoy!)

Guest of Honor doesn't help much when there's no Hyatt option I like!

Oops.

Objectively better? Not quite. There are better guaranteed benefits...because there are so few options relative to the competition. But I can get all of the same benefits except no award resort fees or parking almost everywhere. Hyatt elites can't.

Easier to achieve? Not if you don't stay in exactly the Hyatt limited footprint. Nice try again.

Also, for anyone wanting aspirational properties, Hyatt doesn't remotely come close to Bonvoy. Even in the sparse locations where Hyatt has a Park Hyatt, some of them are stunningly disappointing or overrated (New York, Tokyo, Mendoza, Melbourne, Aviara, Hamburg, Bangkok, Dubai). Few St Regis are overrated in the same way. And there are so few Andaz as to wonder that they don't compare to even the top half of W and Edition.
In all honesty, after Hyatt partnered with SLH, JDV and Two Roads. There are alot of aspirational properties that I would love to stay at.
Thomson Viceroy and Alila hotels are some brands that I've been eyeing.

Then again I've always been standing on the outside to watch because it's really rough earning 60 nights from scratch without any match and most of my stays don't have Hyatt properties in competitive enough rates anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.