Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Rand Tower, Minneapolis, Tribute Portfolio, Opened Dec 2020 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rand Tower, Minneapolis, Tribute Portfolio, Opened Dec 2020 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Good hard product dragged down by cleanliness issues.

It is incredibly obvious to me that this property is struggling severely with staffing issues. I'm not sure if rates are high enough to sustain the state of operations this hotel should be running at. I paid $119 before tax, which is unheard of in 2022. Hopefully, this property can find its footing because the hard product is there and the people that are there seem to be trying.

I will get into the issues, but first, I'll write my room review without thinking of them. I was able to get upgraded to a Corner King on the 21st of 25 floors (actually 26 as there is an extra elevator on the 25th that goes up one floor) after asking at check-in. The room is small but consists of three separate window bays - lots of natural light. I was facing SW and had a nice view of the W Foshay. The view was nice and made the room feel like a perch in the sky - I actually kept my blinds open at night. The bathroom is small but effective. The shower had wonderful pressure - really a very pleasant shower despite the small head. There are a couple of cabinets, a small side chair, and a desk with wheel-around chair. By moving the desk chair, you could get a nice TV-watching station by putting your feet up on the bed or the other chair. The TV had the latest Internet TV OS. The bed was very plush - nice pillows, plush mattress, plush and thick covers. Some of the sheets were a bit worn and were already pilling a bit. Still, I got a good sleep.

Now the issues with the room - cleanliness. I have never seen a bed with so many long hairs in it. The presence of lint all over the sheets made it obvious that a lint roller hadn't been used. One of the sheets had a couple of small stains, as well. As a result, I stripped the bed down the mattress. I did not find anything else concerning - though, the duvet had several stains as most duvets usually do (covered by sheet anyway). The mattress, pillows, and mattress cover were all in good condition. Still, the cleanliness standards here had me very nervous, and spending more than an hour inspecting a room is not fun. Besides the bed, the carpet throughout the room was stained with several varieties of colors. Outside in the hallway, the carpet had some nice old gum stuck to it. The bathroom had lots of floor hairs, but oddly, the shower was very clean (showers are usually where I find hairs). One of the towels had some large stains, but the rest were good and oddly hair-free.

The cost-cutting was also very apparent - no body wash, no lotion, no cotton swabs or balls despite the container for them, only one coffee pod for the coffee maker. No privacy sign, so Housekeeping was knocking at 10:30 AM.

Throughout the night, no staff members were present at the desk or lobby level - seems like a security and safety issue (I walked by a couple of times).

General service really wasn't that bad - generally friendly but rather quiet. I brought up the hair issue at checkout, and the agent apologized and said they would speak with Housekeeping. No issue with 4 PM checkout in principle, but I left at Noon.

Similarly, breakfast was odd, but the single server was friendly. I had to wait for 5 minutes for her to come back to the empty restaurant space on the 5th floor. Still though, she was nice and efficient once I found her. I was the only diner for most of my meal. I was not given a voucher or any clue what breakfast includes. I ordered the $17 American breakfast and coffee. The eggs and toast were really good, but the bacon was cut too thick for my liking - the side menu specifies both classic and thick styles. I should have specified. At checkout, the agent mentioned without prompting that breakfast would be wiped and that I would be leaving with a $0 balance (prepaid reservation).

Overall, I don't think I would return until reviews start consistently showing an improvement in cleanliness and staffing. It's a shame because this could be a really nice place.

Old May 30, 2022, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The thick bacon seems to be a midwestern thing. Still, given the choice on the menu, the server should have asked.

Do you know whether standard suites were available for the night you stayed?
Old May 30, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The thick bacon seems to be a midwestern thing. Still, given the choice on the menu, the server should have asked.

Do you know whether standard suites were available for the night you stayed?
Perhaps, the thick bacon at $3 more than classic bacon was my Ambassador upgrade!

As for suites, only one type was listed online (One-Bedroom Suite), and it was listed as Almost Sold Out when I looked the morning of arrival. I did not push further at check-in and also did not re-investigate.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
We just finished a three-night stay. Bottom line is hard product is great, soft product is eh but reasonable for the rates. The hotel definitely was designed as a luxury property but isn't staffed (or occupied) to be one. The art deco /aviator motif is well-done and carried throughout.

Hotel at night

When we arrived at 10am Friday, our room was already available which was a huge plus. Nothing about housekeeping was mentioned but we later discovered there was none. Offered choice of points or $18 breakfast credit per person.
We had applied SNAs which cleared for a one bedroom suite. We were on the 23rd floor and I think the rooms are slightly smaller on the top floors due to the shape of the building.

Rooms were decently sized, though the chair at the desk in the bedroom could not be adjusted to be used to sit at the desk and there was a lack of storage- just the armoire that is likely in all rooms. Nice view.

Rand Tower one bedroom suite living room

Rand Tower one-bedroom suite bedroom

Rand Tower one-bedroom suite bedroom

Rand Tower one-bedroom suite bathroom

Bathroom on the small side. Malin & goetz toiletries.

There was a lavazza espresso machine with 2 decaf and 2 regular pods- no sweetener or creamer or anything. Two teabags though unsure how to get hot water. And an empty mini bar you could use for fridge. No water bottles but each night some were set out at the front desk.

There are a lot of spaces that were clearly designed for a bigger F&B program. There's a sign for an Executive Club downstairs. The lobby level has a bar that is only open in evenings and has a very limited food menu. Breakfast is served at the Rand Tower Club on the 5th Floor, which is only open for breakfast, and has a huge bar and lounge type space that seems to be unused.

Rand Tower Club (breakfast)

Rand Tower Club (breakfast area)

Rand Tower Club (unused lounge/bar area)

Lobby and restaurant

Breakfast is pretty expensive. There was only one waitress working and she seemed frazzled. Eggs and bacon and potatoes and toast was $17--not including coffee ($5) or tea ($6). Add in tax and gratuity and it ended up costing us another $15 per person. But the quality was excellent. The thick cut maple bacon referenced above? Outstanding.

Gym was sizeable and well equipped.

Gym, Rand Tower

For $150 a night, no complaints. But I can't imagine those are the rates imagined when this hotel was developed. As/if rates go up, hopefully service levels will.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I am curious of all the many Marriott properties in Minneapolis what are FT's suggestions as to where to stay now? I have never been but I have to go in Oct and I know very little about hotels in that city. Location is not crucial. Anywhere within 5-10 minutes of say the Westin. I looked at the Westin but reviews elsewhere said rooms looked tired and worn. Is Rand Tower a better option?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
I am curious of all the many Marriott properties in Minneapolis what are FT's suggestions as to where to stay now? I have never been but I have to go in Oct and I know very little about hotels in that city. Location is not crucial. Anywhere within 5-10 minutes of say the Westin. I looked at the Westin but reviews elsewhere said rooms looked tired and worn. Is Rand Tower a better option?
Although it's likely to be a bit more expensive, my pick would be the Ivy (LC), partly because its rooms are larger and partly because it has good F&B options. It's somewhat on the edge of downtown and its skyway only goes to the convention center and a (self, so much cheaper than the hotel's valet) parking ramp. It's a longer walk from the light rail line to MSP and MOA. Rand Tower is close to the Westin and both tend to have small rooms.
1readyset2go likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.