Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

In an active reservation now and need to checkout early. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

I am at the Nice Le Méridien spending my first night of a two night reservation. Both nights are separate bookings independent of each other and made with points.
The hotel and room is not up to standard. This might be the most disappointing hotel I have stayed at in a long time. I would prefer to check out tomorrow without incurring a penalty.
The room phone does not work and I cannot call marriot customer service. The manager is “not in”. The front desk has no authority to make any concessions and are offering a downgrade to a room with a working phone and perhaps a bathroom door which actually closes shut.

What are my options? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by monw
I am at the Nice Le Méridien spending my first night of a two night reservation. Both nights are separate bookings independent of each other and made with points.
The hotel and room is not up to standard. This might be the most disappointing hotel I have stayed at in a long time. I would prefer to check out tomorrow without incurring a penalty.
The room phone does not work and I cannot call marriot customer service. The manager is “not in”. The front desk has no authority to make any concessions and are offering a downgrade to a room with a working phone and perhaps a bathroom door which actually closes shut.

What are my options? Thanks for your help.
hmmm... since it’s night time there already, might as well wait until the manager gets in tomorrow morning and see what they can do for you. It’s not really a downgrade to a working room if you booked points and we’re going to get that room anyways (in my opinion). Out of curiosity, why do you need a room phone and can’t you call via VOIP service to Marriott like Skype?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
So you have a reservation for tomorrow night and are past the cancellation deadline, I assume? Sounds like you're at the mercy of the property - all you can do is ask, as you've agreed to the cancellation deadline with your reservation.

If you were actually wanting to check out early from a single two-night reservation, the situation might be different, but that doesn't sound like your situation. Or am I misreading your situation?
DJ_Iceman and C17PSGR like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myperks

hmmm... since it’s night time there already, might as well wait until the manager gets in tomorrow morning and see what they can do for you. It’s not really a downgrade to a working room if you booked points and we’re going to get that room anyways (in my opinion). Out of curiosity, why do you need a room phone and can’t you call via VOIP service to Marriott like Skype?
Originally Posted by CPRich
So you have a reservation for tomorrow night and are past the cancellation deadline, I assume? Sounds like you're at the mercy of the property - all you can do is ask, as you've agreed to the cancellation deadline with your reservation.

If you were actually wanting to check out early from a single two-night reservation, the situation might be different, but that doesn't sound like your situation. Or am I misreading your situation?
Properties in Europe have stricter cancellation policies. Some two days before arrival, others two weeks. In our case the cancellation window was two days before arrival.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Your issue is a room phone not working and a bathroom door not shutting completely?

You'll have to do better than that as an excuse for cancelling a reservation after the deadline instead of just switching rooms.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

Properties in Europe have stricter cancellation policies. Some two days before arrival, others two weeks. In our case the cancellation window was two days before arrival.
So what did the manager say? It’s noon there now.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

I think that is an overbroad generalization. Some hotels have strict cancellation polices when they are by the Med. Others have 24 hour cancellation policies like we used to see in the states.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sometimes hotels combine two back to back reservations into one. When you checked in, did you get a room assignment and key cards for one night or two? You need to talk with the manager on duty, although that time is obviously past.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Let us know how it works. Apparently the hotel is somewhat underwhelming, though that still makes it a highlight by Nice standards.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:46 am

Hotel front desk. Period. Full stop. Marriott can't do anything for you other than call the hotel and ask them to let you check out early. But in the end it's going to be the hotel that makes that decision. Arne Sorenson himself can't make a hotel waive an early check out penalty if they don't want to.

That said, most hotels are more than willing to let you leave if you just ask and act like an adult about it. Business travelers have to depart early all the time. It's a pretty common thing. Resorts and other high demand/high end properties is where you're most likely to run into issues on stuff like that but even many of them are quite reasonable.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
100% agree with thebackcourse.

And before talking with the front desk, you need to be mentally prepared for what you'll do if they say you can't check out early. Suck it up and stay, or leave early and take the financial hit? Because if the hotel is as lackluster as you say, it may be worth losing some money in order to move to someplace you'll enjoy more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.