Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Go to the back of the line, Sir", Marriott Elite Check In Line

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Go to the back of the line, Sir", Marriott Elite Check In Line

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
(Hotels Response) "Go to the back of the line, Sir", Marriott Elite Check In Line

First world problem here.

So I am at the Renaissance Palm Springs and was checking out. I noticed they had a lane with the Bonvoy Elite placard on the desk.

I walk up a few feet behind the guest checking out of in the Bonvoy Elite line and wait. After she is done, I walk up. The attendant states that "Someone one else is next" and I ask if their was the Marriott Elite line gesturing at the placard in front of him while advising him I was Titanium.

His response was that this is a general check in line and I would need to go to the back.

I don't mind waiting but why even have the Marriott Bonvoy Elite on the desk placard if it is not intended to be Elite Check in?

Last edited by OUTraveling; Jul 17, 2019 at 12:00 pm Reason: Marriott Response
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
agreed. if they are not going to honor it, then they should take down the sign.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
While I agree first world problem I would have asked to speak to the manager on duty and made that exact point to see what answer I got. Due to them displaying the sign they have made you to look like your trying to jump the queue when you were simply follwoing their signs!
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
But the called you "Sir" so it's totally ok.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Waiting in line to check OUT?

I don't understand.
EdofFX likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by clublounger

I don't understand.
I do. It's hit or miss in getting points posted for stays --- and it's also hit or miss in getting an email from a property with a folio that's accurate.

Much easier for me to stand in line and get a paper copy of an accurate folio.

It's sad, but necessary.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand.
Originally Posted by dgreen12
I do. It's hit or miss in getting points posted for stays --- and it's also hit or miss in getting an email from a property with a folio that's accurate.

Much easier for me to stand in line and get a paper copy of an accurate folio.

It's sad, but necessary.
Exactly. Much easier to fix issues on the spot when the invoice is inaccurate then later to keep calling Marriott CS line to get it fixed.

I always use counter check out to make sure that - after being burnt a few times needless to say.
dgreen12, Tanic, iskingolf and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Agree that this is unacceptable.

Just two days ago I was in a hurry to get to the airport. I had extended my check out until 3pm however my key was not set up for this (sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't, there's no real way to tell). At any rate I rushed back down to the front desk where a group of people were attempting check-in and complaining about debit card fees or something pointless, needless to say shouldn't' have been in the elite line. Ended up having to wait for 15 minutes just to get my key card reactivated as both front desk agents were working on this that whole time. No point in having the dedicated line if it's the same thing as everything else.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
This would have super frustrated me. Being told off in front of other customers because a hotel advertises an elite line but then decides not to use one is definitely worthwhile raising with a Manager.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
They made a titanium member look like a shmuck in front of other customers - that's inexcusable. There's no problem with them helping people from the general line if there are no elites around but once you show up, you should be the next customer served.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:24 pm

If there was ever a time for DYKWIA, this should be it.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List

I don't understand.
I don't understand how you did not understand. I also insist on checking out at the counter to ensure that what is being charged matches to what I expect it to be. If there are any discrepancy, it gets resolved then and there. Again, not sure how you did not understand folks like me who still want to check out at the counter.

Based on a couple of experiences of not checking out with a person and relying on email only to be surprised later, so from now on, I will always check out at the counter.
iluv2fly and dgreen12 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hoangb
not sure how you did not understand folks like me who still want to check out at the counter.
I think it's just that 99% of all FlyerTalkers would rather avoid any human interaction whatsoever. It's all about online checkin, keyless entry, and remote (or even no) checkout.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT

I don't understand.
The Renaissance does not have a lounge so they give a resort food credit of $10 and breakfast buffet vouchers. I did not use the $10 voucher and they advised me at check in I could exchange it for points at check out.

In addition, I review a hard copy of my incidentals just to make sure everything is kosher.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by cmd320
... I rushed back down to the front desk where a group of people were attempting check-in and complaining about debit card fees or something pointless....
Pointless, perhaps, TO YOU.

Originally Posted by cmd320
... needless to say shouldn't' have been in the elite line.
How did you make that determination?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.