Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How to escalate a complaint with customer service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser

Has anyone had any success escalating a complaint beyond the response from customer services?

It seems the Marriott approach is to pass complaints about a property straight back to the property (in some cases, back to the exact employee who caused the issue in the first place) and then to regard whatever the property says as the final word.

I recently stayed a property where, for the second consecutive stay, there was a slew of issues ranging from room not being ready despite evening arrival and mobile checkin, refusal to consider a room upgrade despite plenty of inventory being available, failure to mention or offer the welcome amenity or breakfast, refusal to grant club access until pressed, failure to credit the stay or points, refusal to grant late checkout unless I paid a fee etc etc. It was the most egregiously problematic stay I’ve encountered in more than a decade. My complaint was forwarded to the rooms manager of the hotel, who flat out lied by saying we’d been offered an upgrade both times, that front desk associates never forget to offer the welcome amenity, that missing points both times must be a problem with my account, etc. I was even more astounded when a Marriott “Sr Elite Service Associate” clerk rounded off the exchange with: “This case is closed.” Wow.

Is there a higher authority with a little more common sense? The hotel clearly won’t be ‘making good’ anytime soon but an accurate and reasoned response shouldn’t be so hard to obtain.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Just to say that I had the same issue once (and then gave up). Having some way to escalate to Marriott corporate would be very useful indeed.
ajamieson and imverge like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:48 am

Name and shame
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Sheraton La Caleta Tenerife, Spain.

It was hard enough to get elite benefits under SPG, now with Marriott the hotel seems to have given up altogether. The hotel itself is great. This was my 14th stay and the front desk asked, as they always do, "Is this your first time here?" That's the level of preparation, recognition and attention to detail you can expect at this property when it comes to benefits.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Sheraton La Caleta Tenerife, Spain.

It was hard enough to get elite benefits under SPG, now with Marriott the hotel seems to have given up altogether. The hotel itself is great. This was my 14th stay and the front desk asked, as they always do, "Is this your first time here?" That's the level of preparation, recognition and attention to detail you can expect at this property when it comes to benefits.
You've already posted (with less detail) in the master thread for the property --- which is helpful. I'd continue to post updates in that thread with respect to the lack of support from customer service. At least you'll be warning future guests of the problems this property has.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-thread.html
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would pick the single issue which matters and complain about that. It makes it easier to elevate if the need arises.

In this case, the complaints are fact-based and require a response from the property so dealing with them at the corporate level is not really helpful unless all Marriott wants to do is toss you a few points.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Yes, I'll update the master thread when all's done. (Although I kinda feel like a stuck record on there!)

But there's a wider issue here. There must be a customer service recourse within Marriott, surely? This is the second time (different property) a hotel complaint has been "answered" by the exact same employee who caused it. At least on the first occasion the Marriott representative had the sense to realise that the response was incorrect.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
In this case, the complaints are fact-based and require a response from the property so dealing with them at the corporate level is not really helpful unless all Marriott wants to do is toss you a few points.
Not sure I understand. If a hotel is consistently failing to deliver any elite benefits, that's the single issue. It's not going to be fixed by the hotel, but by Marriott Bonvoy. There's a systemic problem here and I can't get past "well, we credited the missing points."
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:13 am

Not sure I understand. If a hotel is consistently failing to deliver any elite benefits, that's the single issue. It's not going to be fixed by the hotel, but by Marriott Bonvoy. There's a systemic problem here and I can't get past "well, we credited the missing points."
i reread your original post.

#1 so did you end up getting your welcome amenity of points or breakfast? If yes, I would not include it into your complaints. Just mumble jumble at this point.

#2 club access you got after pressing the issue

#3 upgrades, uphill battle (worth complaining I guess)

#4 late checkout, appears to be a resort so not guaranteed.

Make your complaint clear on just a few clear points. If I press the issues at the hotel and I get it, I take it as a win at this point since Marriott customer care probably won’t care. Take your biz elsewhere seems to be the motto.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

But there's a wider issue here. There must be a customer service recourse within Marriott, surely?
There may not - but have you asked the contact at Marriott Customer Service for an escalation point?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
You could also try sending a private message to one of the Marriot Lurkers on FT requesting assistance.

--Jon
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myperks
Marriott customer care probably won’t care
Makes sense, and I agree about moving on

Rather than apology points, I’d like to be able to stay at this hotel and relax without constant arguments, follow-ups or excuses that turn out to be false. Either that, or the hotel should leave Bonvoy.

But to answer the points:

1. Yes, the hotel agreed after the complaint to credit both the missing stays, in compliance with the T&Cs. And yes, the hotel agreed after the complaint to credit the missing welcome amenity from both stays.

2. Yes, the hotel granted Club Access each time after a brief argument about whether Platinums should have access.

3. Both stays I was refused the upgrade despite screengrabs of the website showing all the various categories of ‘available’ rooms available. Both times the hotel then offered the upgraded room on the second day when the rooms manager showed up for work. It’s more the dishonesty and hassle that I don’t appreciate.

4. Even in the case of resorts, properties must offer late checkout if it is available; this hotel sells late checkout for a fee. While it’s not guaranteed at resorts, If it’s available for sale, it’s available for elites. Those are the rules. Yes, I eventually got my 1pm and 2pm checkout requests on each stay this year, after more argument.

Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
You could also try sending a private message to one of the Marriot Lurkers on FT requesting assistance.

--Jon
good call, thank you 😊👍🏻
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
There may not - but have you asked the contact at Marriott Customer Service for an escalation point?
“Case closed.” I was pretty shocked tbh.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

Riot in front of the Marriott corporate offices until police are called?
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.