Marriott Status At Booking vs Checkin

Old Jul 10, 19, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Marriott Status At Booking vs Checkin

If we book a reservation months in advance and lets say your status was gold at the time and then months later when you finally arrive at the hotel and check in but your status has moved up to platinum, are you greeted as a gold member or platinum? Basically, are you recognized and given the benefits of your status level at time of booking or at time of arrival?
Old Jul 10, 19, 7:26 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Benefits and recognition should be based on your status level at check in. In the recent past before the merger, not sure since the system merger with Starwood, status updates typically were reflected properly in the system at check in time. Who knows with all of the current Marriott IT glitches if that will still be true. So you may want to reach out to the property a few days before your stay to verify your platinum status is listed correctly (and if desired politely request an upgrade).

--Jon
Old Jul 10, 19, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Yup that was my concern. I don't know if its wise to cancel reservation and rebook with the new status level reflected in new reservation.
Old Jul 10, 19, 8:03 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Cancel and rebook shouldn't be necessary. If you do decide to go with that strategy, book the new reservation first and then cancel the original reservation. E.g. to prevent losing your reservation altogether and/or being forced to pay a higher price. Calling the property should be sufficient to get the status in your reservation updated if needed.

--Jon
Old Jul 10, 19, 11:05 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MP 1K,Bonvoy Tit, LTG
My experience was that it usually doesn't update, although it is apparently meant to. When I made the move to Plat from Gold with SPG hardly any of my bookings updated status. One way to discretely tell them you have been upgraded is to email and ask about Lounge access ( if they have one). When they get back and say access is only for Platinums you can inform them that you currently are.
Old Jul 10, 19, 2:42 pm

Definitely worked the other way for me. Booked a room at Platinum, was downgraded to Gold THE DAY BEFORE!!! my arrival. I was only given gold benefits.Made me wonder if I had done mobile check in it would have registered me as Platinum for that stay.
Old Jul 10, 19, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ziggyziggy View Post
If we book a reservation months in advance and lets say your status was gold at the time and then months later when you finally arrive at the hotel and check in but your status has moved up to platinum, are you greeted as a gold member or platinum? Basically, are you recognized and given the benefits of your status level at time of booking or at time of arrival?
I have had problems with this when status didn't update. If it is possible to cancel/rebook ... that is the safest option. Or contacting the hotel prior to the stay asking them whether status is reflected properly.

Search this Thread