Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington DC Attorney General sues Marriott over "deceptive resort fees"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington DC Attorney General sues Marriott over "deceptive resort fees"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Sorry to be contrary, but my company doesn't count the resort fees in our per diem hotel booking limits, so there are times when this practice of tacking on the resort fee helps me rather than hurts. That said, I do occasionally want to lose my temper over them.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Score8
Sorry to be contrary, but my company doesn't count the resort fees in our per diem hotel booking limits, so there are times when this practice of tacking on the resort fee helps me rather than hurts. That said, I do occasionally want to lose my temper over them.
I'm surprised that someone hasn't yet pointed out that a very low base rate and a very high resort fee can lead to a comparatively cheap Hilton award stay. Tropicana in Vegas, for example. Not that I'd actually recommend anyone stay there, ever.

Doesn't help with Marriott, which is perhaps why no one's mentioned it yet.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Score8
Those times when having an incompetent corporate travel policy and agency can actually be useful!
Score8 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by OldSchoolConsultant
Here's the CEO defending resort fees:

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...s-resort-fees/

1) They're nothing like baggage fees, because baggage fees are optional - don't check bags if you don't want to pay them.
2) Every actual resort I stayed at where I paid a resort fee, activities were still an additional charge. Also, a lot of non-resort hotels in the city are now charging these fees too, and they don't have "paddle boarding and bikes".
3) As a Lifetime Titanium I already get free breakfast at most hotels. Coincidentally, at island resorts where I have to pay a resort fee, I STILL have to pay to upgrade my free Elite breakfast to a proper one.
How about Mr Sorenson make another comment on these mandatory 'Destination Fees' of $25-30 in New York etc? Why are they mandatory for instance?
"Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt say the fees cover upgraded WiFi, on-property food and beverage credits, phone service and either free or discounted local activities, such as audio tours."
https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-...stination-fees
America, land of the fees
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:02 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by joakgarp
How about Mr Sorenson make another comment on these mandatory 'Destination Fees' of $25-30 in New York etc? Why are they mandatory for instance?
"Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt say the fees cover upgraded WiFi, on-property food and beverage credits, phone service and either free or discounted local activities, such as audio tours."
I made sure to get my Central Park Zoo tickets from the concierge even though I wasn't going to use them they're good though the the of the year, will find friends with kids or scalp them on eBay or something
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
It would be ok if it was optional
what’s the point in a forced fee?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by Gringuito
The same point as any forced fee, which is to get people to pay for something that they wouldn't purchase if they had a choice.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
To trick you into thinking you were getting something for a lower price.
In some cases, to also trick search engines into sorting the hotels in a deceptive order.
Potentially in other cases, to bait-and-switch some corporate customers by giving them less total discount than they thought they negotiated. (Although some of the biggest corp deals waive resort fees because the companies are large enough to demand it.)
IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by joakgarp
America, land of the fees
And the home of the rage!
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I'd love to see this deceptive practice banned. To book a hotel in Las Vegas, you need your travel search engine and, at the same time, a site that lists resort fees for the various brands and properties so you can estimate the true cost of the options you see. Makes the process way more time consuming.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
1. When it's a fee you don't earn points - so for a $50 room with $30 resort fee, you only earn point for the $50. However if the room is sold at $80 without the resort fee then you earn points on $80. So hotels pay fewer points to award your stay;

2. It can trick price comparison site that the hotel is sold at $50 instead of $80
mikew99 and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hilton is also being sued but at least Hilton doesn't charge resort fee on award stays.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
Why Marriott? If I book a resort at Marriott or Hilton, they disclose the resort fee the same way. Did Racine get a campaign contribution from one and not the other?
DC is a Marriott town. The first Hot Shoppes was here. The first hotel - the Marriott Twin Bridges - was right across the river. There are seemingly as many Marriott's as Starbucks here.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Instead of destination fees, some hotels in SoCal charges like hell for parking - I was looking to use my 40k cert but then the FS hotel I looked at charges $32 parking, and then you can get the very same spot for $7.95 from a parking app (the condition is that you can't be an overnight guest at the hotel). It's totally ridiculous and it's basically telling people that you will have to pay the insane parking as a fee in order to stay at the hotel.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by txirish
I'd love to see this deceptive practice banned. To book a hotel in Las Vegas, you need your travel search engine and, at the same time, a site that lists resort fees for the various brands and properties so you can estimate the true cost of the options you see. Makes the process way more time consuming.
Or you could just go to the hotel's official website. It will list it right there. No need to use multiple shady online travel sites where you end up getting screwed when you think you are saving money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.