Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington DC Attorney General sues Marriott over "deceptive resort fees"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington DC Attorney General sues Marriott over "deceptive resort fees"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Hopefully they'll look into rental car companies next. I hate all the "Facility concession" fee and "Tire disposal" fee or whatever they're called, etc.. They are all a part of doing business and to charge additionally for them is maddening.
KRSW, honest_abe, Sisosig and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ch922455
Bravo. But will this also cover extra person fees. They are on the rise and usually quite ludicrous - for example booking a family room with two double beds at the LHR Marriott incurs extra person fees when you list 2 adults and 2 kids in the room. 4 people should be the number of people included in the rate.
Number of occupants has always been a figure in room cost. It's why you input that info before searching, just like you input number of passengers before searching for a plane ticket.

Originally Posted by bosman
Hopefully they'll look into rental car companies next. I hate all the "Facility concession" fee and "Tire disposal" fee or whatever they're called, etc.. They are all a part of doing business and to charge additionally for them is maddening.
Most of these are government / regulatory fees. The tire/battery disposal fees are generally state imposed.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Marriott has to approve but it doesn’t make the decision to charge a resort fee. The property does, subject to Marriott’s acquiescence.
And the lawsuit isn't about what they charge, it's the fact that these charges are not shown in the rates. The discussions about who decides what to charge and who has to approve it doesn't seem relevant to the charge that the presentation of the total cost is deceptive to the consumer.

hiding the true price of hotel rooms from consumers and charging hidden resort fees to increase profits. The Office of the Attorney General (OAG) alleges that Marriott’s deceptive and misleading pricing practices and failure to disclose
And tipping is completely optional.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RafKa
But the same argument everyone here uses against also resort fees also apply to tipping in the US: I want to look at a menu at a restaurant and be able to work out what my total bill is. Like resort fees, tipping isn't optional - why not build the cost of paying for your staff a living wage into the price of food? Most other developed countries manage.

Any AG want to pick up this battle?
I conceptually agree with you about the scourge of tipping and how it has been leveraged by the restaurant industry in the U.S. to alter the labor demand curve in a way that the customers basically pay the staff directly.

But it probably wouldn't go far in court because tipping is technically optional. A diner can legally leave zero tip and walk out. Even those of us who don't *like* tipping don't do this because of the implied social contract we've entered into (that is, I know before I sit down to eat that tipping is expected, so using my philosophical opposition to tipping as justification to stiff the waiter isn't really fair).

Even restaurants that automatically add tips, a practice which I detest, will remove it if asked.

Tire Disposal is sometimes a regulatory fee. Facility concession sounds like it isn't - it sounds like the rental car agency's cost to rent space at the airport. I do wish it was at least required to tag on your receipt exactly which line items go to the government and which stay with the rental agency.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Number of occupants has always been a figure in room cost. It's why you input that info before searching, just like you input number of passengers before searching for a plane ticket.
Agreed. The family room at a hotel usually costs more than a twin room. I don't find that unusual. The difference is sometimes zero or minimal in the U.S., but even here there are times when a 2-queen room costs a little more than a 1-King room. In Europe it can be a much bigger difference as many hotels have very few quad rooms. (Or none at all.)

As long as it's all fully disclosed on the first page of search results, I'm okay with that. When you search for 4 people on Marriott.com, it should do this. Even though we travel often with 4, I sometimes search for 5 or 6 just to force the search to filter out everything except 2-bedroom suites.
MSPeconomist and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by hotelboy
The lawsuit is baseless and wont go anywhere. Resort fees are disclosed at the time of booking and it is your choice to hit confirm before submitting the reservation. More whining people that cant do their research and just blame the man.
I've never been challenged with these fees but if the purchase process can get less complicated like the airlines had to do, then I'm good with that. Now, don't get me started with the mini-bars...
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
The difference is rental companies don't hide them.

Now can someone sue these Vegas racketeers please? I can't believe internet, boarding pass printing and unlimited local and toll free calls cost $125.

Last edited by samwise6222; Jul 10, 2019 at 9:55 am
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I was just going to post I hope the DC AG has a word with the AG in Las Vegas (Nevada) where its almost rare to find a hotel that doesn't scam you for resort fees! From what I read on other forums, NYC is heading that way too so I hope that all chains take heed of this action.
Spiff and samwise6222 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
I think the thread is going off-rails a bit because we've lost focus on what this is about.

What this is not about is the existence of resort fees. I'm indifferent to the room rate vs. resort fee shell game (except some jurisdictions like NYC where the hotels take the position that hotel tax only applies to the room rate, in which case it's actually a bonus for us).

The complaint is about how the prices displayed during the search process is not the pricing inclusive of all hotel fees and government taxes, additional fees aren't shown until the booking process is commenced and how some fees are misrepresented as government fees. It's like how airfare pricing pre-2012 was all wild-west and now everyone's showing the full all-inclusive airfare including taxes and fees.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Resort fees are not so common here in Europe and never seen them in Asia but this is great. .
Asia has had something similar called a "Service Charge". Inflates the rate by 10-20%, including food & beverage. And it rarely goes to the staff serving you.

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
The complaint is about how the prices displayed during the search process is not the pricing inclusive of all hotel fees and government taxes, additional fees aren't shown until the booking process is commenced and how some fees are misrepresented as government fees. It's like how airfare pricing pre-2012 was all wild-west and now everyone's showing the full all-inclusive airfare including taxes and fees.
This is what needs to happen. Certain countries/municipalities require that. Check the price for a hotel room in Australia, for instance.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
It's like how airfare pricing pre-2012 was all wild-west and now everyone's showing the full all-inclusive airfare including taxes and fees.

The Good Old Days of

"Fly to Paris for $49*"

* Taxes and Fees Apply. Fuel Surcharge of up to $850 apply. Carrier Surcharge of up to $550 apply.

Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
This is such an uphill battle - the biggest hurdle by far is the court would have to find it can overrule the Federal Trade Commission which has jurisdiction on Resort Fees much like DOT with the airline industry.

That'll be the first thing brought up by Marriott.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by samwise6222
The difference is rental companies don't hide them.

Now can someone sue these Vegas racketeers please? I can't believe internet, boarding pass printing and unlimited local and toll free calls cost $125.
I mean, think of the value of unlimited toll-free calls! Without that useful resort fee, you'd be stuck paying the exorbitant charge of $0 to make a toll-free call.

(yes I'm aware that some hotels used to charge and maybe still do for you to call a 1-800 number, but if you have to pay to call a number, it's literally not toll-free).
emma dog likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Marriott has to approve but it doesn’t make the decision to charge a resort fee. The property does, subject to Marriott’s acquiescence.
You mean Marriott "condones" the resort fee.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:49 am

I do hate those too, but they aren't as high as the government fees/taxes. To help pay for the convention center, etc.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ch922455
Bravo. But will this also cover extra person fees. They are on the rise and usually quite ludicrous - for example booking a family room with two double beds at the LHR Marriott incurs extra person fees when you list 2 adults and 2 kids in the room. 4 people should be the number of people included in the rate.
In my experience, this is rare. Almost all rates are for one or two adults in the room, and most chains do not charge extra for kids with existing bedding.

In contrast, when I worked at Hyatt in the 80s, rack rates were $20 different between single and double occupancy.

I'm not sure where you're getting this "extra person fee" thing.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.