Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington DC Attorney General sues Marriott over "deceptive resort fees"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington DC Attorney General sues Marriott over "deceptive resort fees"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Resort fees are not so common here in Europe and never seen them in Asia but this is great. Resort fees are awful and I hope Marriott will change this asap.

Second sue I've read towards Marriott btw.
Nicc HK, windscar, nequine and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by rrgg
Why Marriott? If I book a resort at Marriott or Hilton, they disclose the resort fee the same way. Did Racine get a campaign contribution from one and not the other?
Originally Posted by Antarius
They're the biggest.
Yep! And if the DC AG is successful against Marriott International, then the precedent will be set. Other hotel companies will be on notice. Instead of waiting for the legal action, they are likely to comply voluntarily.
Spiff, DJ_Iceman, KRSW and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Bring.
It.
ON!

I wish DG AG Racine and his team all the best in this lawsuit. ^

If hotels feel the burning need to add resort fees / destination charges / whatever, then put it in the base price! Else they could advertise a room rate of $1 but add on convenience fees to $299. In my mind, the hotel room price should be the price. The only permissible add-ons I feel are legitimate government-mandated taxes.

I really hope this lawsuit succeeds.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold
The lawsuit is baseless and wont go anywhere. Resort fees are disclosed at the time of booking and it is your choice to hit confirm before submitting the reservation. More whining people that cant do their research and just blame the man.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hotelboy
The lawsuit is baseless and wont go anywhere. Resort fees are disclosed at the time of booking and it is your choice to hit confirm before submitting the reservation. More whining people that cant do their research and just blame the man.
Not in any clear manner. Also they're not provided till after you've started booking.
KRSW, Sisosig and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Except of course when they are buried & hidden and don't show up at time of booking.

Other than that, super totally 100% transparent.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The lawsuit is baseless and wont go anywhere.
"Greed fees" are specifically designed to deceive the consumer by altering search results to favor the properties with large fees.

Personally, I would also love to see all taxes included in search results the same way they are for airfares.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally. Have seen this multiple times recently. "Location fee" "Resort fee". So misleading.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:15 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

[sarcasm]If “resort fees,” “amenity fees,” and “destination fees” are such a good value, why not make them optional?[/sarcasm]
Spiff, Horace, C17PSGR and 15 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
"They bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into."

(Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue)
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Arne is that you?
Fizzer, fordan, KRSW and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Antarius
They're the biggest.
It’s also HQed right down the road.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Sightly OT:

I think resort fees are egregious and should absolutely be quashed: just put your prices up and let the free market do its own thing.

But the same argument everyone here uses against also resort fees also apply to tipping in the US: I want to look at a menu at a restaurant and be able to work out what my total bill is. Like resort fees, tipping isn't optional - why not build the cost of paying for your staff a living wage into the price of food? Most other developed countries manage.

Any AG want to pick up this battle?
honest_abe and Sisosig like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLATINUM
Extra person fees?

Bravo. But will this also cover extra person fees. They are on the rise and usually quite ludicrous - for example booking a family room with two double beds at the LHR Marriott incurs extra person fees when you list 2 adults and 2 kids in the room. 4 people should be the number of people included in the rate.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:59 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by RafKa
tipping isn't optional
Tipping may be standard, but it is indeed optional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.